This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Bodie. :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 69397.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always enjoyed that show .... but can't think of anything else he was ever involved in.

Read up the history of Lewis Collin's dad and how he swindled the rights to "Without You" from Evans and Ham. They made barely a penny from it while Mr Collins Snr. did fantastically well.
Who Dares Wins

Only thing I know he was in....good film as well

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25173331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No more Fast & Furious movies?

Died in a car crash as well......

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:00 am

Annoyed Grunt wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25173331

No more Fast & Furious movies?

Died in a car crash as well......
Looking at the wreckage they were traveling a bit to do that much damage, fire or no fire.
Looks like an f1 car thats had a shunt, ton plus and those porsche ain't just glued together by Stevie Wonder either.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Watched the Fast and Furious movies in my early teens and I still enjoy watching them. Very sad, tragic and some what ironic death. Thoughts are with both families over their loss.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 am

Missed this one last week, but farewell to John Graham. Better known to some as Araucaria. Crossword puzzle setter in the Grauniad. :-(

Bizzarely enough he announced his illness in one of his crosswords and gave updates by the same mechanism.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Peter O'Toole

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25393557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Peter O'Toole

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25393557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some great performances, but will always be Lawrence of Arabia for me. R.I.P a great actor.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 pm

A great actor, and will be missed. Always loved the Ruling Class and the Stuntman along with his better known films.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Murphy's War, played the character excellently.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:03 am

And on the same day my friends mum has died following a long illness with a brain tumour. A lovely woman who will be sadly missed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your mate's mum, G. One of mine lost his mum to cancer last week.

Sad news re- Peter O'Toole. Will always be an unwell Jeffery Barnard to me.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Sorry to hear about your mate's mum, G. One of mine lost his mum to cancer last week.

Sad news re- Peter O'Toole. Will always be an unwell Jeffery Barnard to me.
I read something of his once, very funny.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Joan Fontaine.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 am

Dujon wrote:Joan Fontaine.
I love Rebecca, book film and lead performances. Was amazed to find out a couple of years ago that she was still with us. What's known as a good innings, and a fantastic career.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:00 am

Ronnie Biggs. I thought he died a while back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:03 am

Whilst reluctant to get onto the tragedy stuff for the guy, today saw the end of a man who's name is synonymous with an era ... Ronnie Biggs.

So many things about his case were extraordinary to a modern eye. The Train Robbers gang, 16 in all, consisted of members of two groups. One, East End London semi-organised criminals were notorious blaggers but knew nothing of train hi-jack, but they had information and detail of an opportunity to nick £3m ... equivalent to £45m today. They therefore joined forces with another mob who had train robbery expertise (how do you get THAT on your CV ??). Though career criminals and threats and violence would not be strange to them it's notable that no guns were carried in the robbery. They did take ... & use ... metal coshes though.

The shares were to be evenly divided ... approx. £170k (£2.5m) whatever the role played.

Ronnie Briggs was better known as a getaway man, but he knew a man who was a retired train driver who would be able to drive the train to a siding, where it would be emptied. When the robbery took place, the train stopped at a false signal light and the gang boarded it turned out that the driver wasn't au-fait with this particular engine. He & Biggs were sent away and did no more after that than later load the stolen bags onto a truck.

He still got his 1/16th share in full. Amazing.

All but 3 of the gang were caught, little of the money was ever found. The bulk of the gang got 30 year sentences.

After escaping from jail and ending up, eventually, in Brazil where he proceeded to give the British police the finger he became ill and eventually returned to Britain pleading a special case not to be sent back to prison due to his illness. He was re-incarcerated for a further 8 years. Released with only "days to live" he has lived, very ill admittedly, 4 years.

Doubtless there will be lots of East End grief and the over-blown villain's funeral to come. Maybe it'll be overshone in the media due to Christmas, but we can be sure it'll be a big one.

I suppose what sets this aside from modern crime is that a guy who arranges a train driver to be available, and cocks that up, and gets £2.5m for his efforts then gets 30 years jail. He'd be unfortunate to get 5 these days. He goes on the run and becomes more famous for that than almost all the rest of the gang and when he did return, old & frail, goes back into jail to continue his sentence PLUS some extra added for a jail-break.

So he should have, too ... I just contrast it with today's sentences and wonder which era has it right.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:17 am

bobo the clown wrote:Whilst reluctant to get onto the tragedy stuff for the guy, today saw the end of a man who's name is synonymous with an era ... Ronnie Biggs.

So many things about his case were extraordinary to a modern eye. The Train Robbers gang, 16 in all, consisted of members of two groups. One, East End London semi-organised criminals were notorious blaggers but knew nothing of train hi-jack, but they had information and detail of an opportunity to nick £3m ... equivalent to £45m today. They therefore joined forces with another mob who had train robbery expertise (how do you get THAT on your CV ??). Though career criminals and threats and violence would not be strange to them it's notable that no guns were carried in the robbery. They did take ... & use ... metal coshes though.

The shares were to be evenly divided ... approx. £170k (£2.5m) whatever the role played.

Ronnie Briggs was better known as a getaway man, but he knew a man who was a retired train driver who would be able to drive the train to a siding, where it would be emptied. When the robbery took place, the train stopped at a false signal light and the gang boarded it turned out that the driver wasn't au-fait with this particular engine. He & Biggs were sent away and did no more after that than later load the stolen bags onto a truck.

All but 3 of the gang were caught, little of the money was ever found. The bulk of the gang got 30 year sentences.

After escaping from jail and ending up, eventually, in Brazil where he proceeded to give the British police the finger he became ill and eventually returned to Britain pleading a special case not to be sent back to prison due to his illness. He was re-incarcerated for a further 8 years. Released with only "days to live" he has lived, very ill admittedly, 4 years.

Doubtless there will be lots of East End grief and the over-blown villain's funeral to come. Maybe it'll be overshone in the media due to Christmas, but we can be sure it'll be a big one.

I suppose what sets this aside from modern crime is that a guy who arranges a train driver to be available, and cocks that up, and gets £2.5m for his efforts then gets 30 years jail. He'd be unfortunate to get 5 these days. He goes on the run and becomes more famous for that than almost all the rest of the gang and when he did return, old & frail, goes back into jail to continue his sentence PLUS some extra added for a jail-break.

So he should have, too ... I just contrast it with today's sentences and wonder which era has it right.

Wasn't it a Royal Mail train Bobo? Only being a young pup (28) I only really know of the story from the Buster film. I think the sentence was so heavy due to effectively robbing the Queen :shock:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:38 pm

It was a "Mobile Post Office" train. ie. Mail was loaded onto the train, and picked up at speed from hangers at certain points on the line" and was sorted by staff on the train as it travelled.

The front carriage was for high value goods. There would normally be about £300k (£4.5m) on, but there had been a bank holiday in Scotland and so there were several days worth on board. The crooks heard about this and had the train signal show a false sign, the train stopped and the crooks boarded it, uncoupling the front carriage from the rest. The GPO sorting staff knew nothing until way after the event.

Yes, the robbing of a Post Office ... and lifting used notes ... was seen a beyond the pale.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Ronnie Biggs. I thought he died a while back.

he was released from prison in 2009 because he was at death's door....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Whilst reluctant to get onto the tragedy stuff for the guy, today saw the end of a man who's name is synonymous with an era ... Ronnie Biggs.

You missed out the most interesting part in this potted history. Whilst in Brazil sunning himself on a beach, he got a visit from the Sex Pistols who recorded one of the 'classic' punk moments using Ronnie as 'drummer' and 'singer' [altogether now]... Ronnie Biggs waz doin' time until he dan a bunk...

And didn't he nearly get illegally renditioned (or whatever the term is) by Slipper of the Yard? or did I dream that bit?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください