This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Clive James. 9 years more than expected but still a very sad loss. Cultural Amnesia is a desert island book for me, genuinely life-changing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Just read about Clive James. Very sad, a very funny and entertaining man. R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:11 pm
Just read about Clive James. Very sad, a very funny and entertaining man. R.I.P.

I've never read him but the esteem he's held in by those who have makes it clear I'm missing out. I came into contact with this snippet of his writing tonight:

"Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humour is just common sense, dancing. Those who lack humour are without judgment and should be trusted with nothing"

I like that.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Gary Rhodes today too. Only 59.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:11 pm

I've never read him but the esteem he's held in by those who have makes it clear I'm missing out. I came into contact with this snippet of his writing tonight:

"Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humour is just common sense, dancing. Those who lack humour are without judgment and should be trusted with nothing"

I like that.
You need to try and catch some of his live shows on Youtube, Nicilaldo, particularly those with Maganita Prakatan. Very funny man.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm

R.I.P Bob Willis, fast bowler and one-time England cricket captain. 70 years old.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm
R.I.P Bob Willis, fast bowler and one-time England cricket captain. 70 years old.
Here's his 8-43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzv806ayqK8

I never quite knew whether to dislike his lack of humility, or admire his passion for English cricket. I guess there's a fine line between the two. As a kid though, I'd absolutely marvel at his bowling. RIP
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am
Bald Eagle Jim Smith. RIP. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50731748
He was a character! Supposed to be quite innovative and forward thinking despite probably being seen as old school.

Andy Gray once told a story where a new nightclub was being opened in Birmingham in the 70s and a few of the Midlands based players and managers were at the official opening. The lass chosen to cut the ribbon was Mandy Rice Davies, she of the Profumo scandal.

As she was being introduced to all the dignitaries Smith piped up "feck* ell! Mandy Rice Davies. I used to wank over you when I was a lad!" :lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 pm

April 2008, and Gary Megson's 'relegation battlers' play Spurs at Ver Layne. My brother's employers sponsor the game and he manages to lig me a place on the trip - fancy chara, the lot. The game itself was one of the most one-sided affairs I've ever seen - Tottenham absolutely bounced us (Spurs 26 shots, us seven) but through a combination of Ali Al Habsi, their shite finishing, some obstinate defending and the woodwork, we leave, somehow, with a point after the game finished at 1-1. Gus Poyet was less than chuffed as I recall.
So, the game finishes and we leave our box and go through to the bar. As I'm stood there minding my own business I realise that I'm stood next to none other than Martin Peters. Hands are shaken and he says to me "We really should've won that. I can't believe we didn't get all three points". My reply of "I'm from Bolton, Martin, I'm delighted with a point" was met with "I'll bet you are", before he promptly walked off.
RIP Martin Peters, it was a pleasure to have met you, albeit briefly. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50880336

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:11 am

Farewell to Kings. Neal Peart. Exceptional drummer with Rush.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Nicholas Parsons has died at the age of 96. What a real shame. A warm, intellectual and witty broadcaster who's entertained me throughout my entire life. :(

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 pm
Nicholas Parsons has died at the age of 96. What a real shame. A warm, intellectual and witty broadcaster who's entertained me throughout my entire life. :(

I can't believe he was 96 to be honest. He certainly didn't sound it on the wireless.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:42 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:56 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I can't believe he was 96 to be honest. He certainly didn't sound it on the wireless.
Repetition of 'he'. :)

I absolutely agree.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:42 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I absolutely agree.
:lol:

Man's a legend.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:42 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I absolutely agree.
:D
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Film Icon Kirk Douglas, hero of so many favourite films ( Spartacus not the least famous) finally gave out at 103 today. God rest his soul for the pleasure he gave millions. Almost the last of an era...R.I.P Kirk

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Joel Douglas, the less famous son of the actor Kirk, was performing at the Comedy Store and getting increasingly frustrated by the audience reaction. He started shouting: "You can't do this to me, I'm Kirk Douglas's son!" At which point some wag stood up and said: "No, I'm Kirk Douglas's son." Then someone else stood up, and so on. :)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 pm
Joel Douglas, the less famous son of the actor Kirk, was performing at the Comedy Store and getting increasingly frustrated by the audience reaction. He started shouting: "You can't do this to me, I'm Kirk Douglas's son!" At which point some wag stood up and said: "No, I'm Kirk Douglas's son." Then someone else stood up, and so on. :)
Excellent stuff :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 pm

:lol: :lol: instant repartee, love it....