This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:53 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:08 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:14 am
'Marvellous' Marvin Hagler.

Real boxing hero of mine.
Mine too. Possibly the GOAT.

I thought he may have been older than 66. Some rumours on twitter were suggesting it was related to his covid jab.
GOAT? Perhaps of his generation. He won 62 of 67 fights, but Sugar Ray Robinson win 132 fights until his first loss (to our own Randolph Turpin) and finished with 173 wins. Over the years he was champion in several division, though he drew the line at fighting Marciano for the heavyweight championship. As a middleweight he was in a class of his own.

Of course for me, Ali will always be the greatest....
GOAT? Did he headbutt people in the bollocks and eat paper? What are you on about?
Stands for Greatest of all time. They’ve started using it to refer to footballers. Eg ‘David Luiz is the GOAT’

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

GOAT? Did he headbutt people in the bollocks and eat paper? What are you on about?
We've spent centuries making English the international universal language, Bruce, and the epitome of literature, to now revert to nonsense talk from a bone idle generation of kids, half of whom can't spell or write properly. Imagine the horror on your grandkids face if you bought them a fountain pen for Christmas instead of a computer game. Eeek !
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:18 am

Don't talk wet you daft c*nt. How's Jose Maurinho doing?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:06 pm

Ahh, the mother tongue at its finest! :-)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:53 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:08 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:14 am
'Marvellous' Marvin Hagler.

Real boxing hero of mine.
Mine too. Possibly the GOAT.

I thought he may have been older than 66. Some rumours on twitter were suggesting it was related to his covid jab.
GOAT? Perhaps of his generation. He won 62 of 67 fights, but Sugar Ray Robinson win 132 fights until his first loss (to our own Randolph Turpin) and finished with 173 wins. Over the years he was champion in several division, though he drew the line at fighting Marciano for the heavyweight championship. As a middleweight he was in a class of his own.

Of course for me, Ali will always be the greatest....
Stands for Greatest of all time. They’ve started using it to refer to footballers. Eg ‘David Luiz is the GOAT’
Just how far into your cheek did you have your tongue, when you typed that last sentence? :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:06 am
Imagine the horror on your grandkids face if you bought them a fountain pen for Christmas instead of a computer game. Eeek !
Fountain pen? I've witnessed the horror on a nephew's face when I bought him the 'wrong' computer game one Christmas.

I actually think I'm the only person I know of who still has a fountain pen and a bottle of Quink. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Doug Holden, Bolton regular winger in the fifties and one of the 1953 F.A. Cup side, passed away today ages 90. Much loved and one of the "Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall and Langton" regular Bolton forward line I saw him play many times. . God Bless Dougie, Rest in Peace.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Aye not a bad old innings. RIP.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:46 pm

R.I.P.The Duke of Edinburgh, passed away at 99. God rest his soul.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:23 pm

Sad news RIP.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:50 pm
Doug Holden, Bolton regular winger in the fifties and one of the 1953 F.A. Cup side, passed away today ages 90. Much loved and one of the "Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall and Langton" regular Bolton forward line I saw him play many times. . God Bless Dougie, Rest in Peace.
He was the last BWFC player to be capped for England before Super Kevin Davies. RIP.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:41 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
He was the last BWFC player to be capped for England before Super Kevin Davies. RIP.
Michael Ricketts won his 1 cap before SKD was finally called up.

Re Holden, well before my time obviously but my dad was telling me earlier how stood on the Lever End, he saw Dougie beat 3 Derby County players before burying one in the bottom corner. The last survivor of the 53 Cup final apparently
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 pm

Obituaries for public figures are nearly always written in advance but I've never watched anything like that show on the BBC earlier on Prince Phillip. It's one of those things that you know 'has' to happen-a pre-prepared show on the passing of a major member of the royal family- but seeing it actually being played out is staggering. Imagine taking part in those interviews talking about someone you love who is still alive, but knowing that it will only be televised after they pass. Given one of the participants died in 2017 it's relatively old as well. Mildly mind-boggling.

RIP.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:45 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 pm
Obituaries for public figures are nearly always written in advance but I've never watched anything like that show on the BBC earlier on Prince Phillip. It's one of those things that you know 'has' to happen-a pre-prepared show on the passing of a major member of the royal family- but seeing it actually being played out is staggering. Imagine taking part in those interviews talking about someone you love who is still alive, but knowing that it will only be televised after they pass. Given one of the participants died in 2017 it's relatively old as well. Mildly mind-boggling.

RIP.
Much more than mildly K. Who benefits?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:40 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Re Holden, well before my time obviously but my dad was telling me earlier how stood on the Lever End, he saw Dougie beat 3 Derby County players before burying one in the bottom corner. The last survivor of the 53 Cup final apparently
I thought Ricketts only played in a friendly. Does that count?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:35 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:40 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

It was a friendly v Netherlands away but they still get a cap for it as far as I'm away.

There was Freddie Hill too, who won a couple (?) of caps in the 60s but I don't know the circumstances
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:35 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:40 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

It was a friendly v Netherlands away but they still get a cap for it as far as I'm away.

There was Freddie Hill too, who won a couple (?) of caps in the 60s but I don't know the circumstances
I thought Freddie only got some Under-23 caps. I'll have to check.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Got Prince P’s funeral on in the background. Not a royalist particularly but the old guy served his country well in war time and pretty much gave up massive chunks of his life to support the queen. Sad for her. She’s a good old stick even if some of the rest of her family leave a little to be desired.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:38 pm
Got Prince P’s funeral on in the background. Not a royalist particularly but the old guy served his country well in war time and pretty much gave up massive chunks of his life to support the queen. Sad for her. She’s a good old stick even if some of the rest of her family leave a little to be desired.
Her Majesty has led an honourable life and been an example to all and will be hard to replace as monarch when she passes. . She has my respect. I agree about some of the rest, but I'm not into pointless name calling. May God rest Prince Phillip.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:21 pm

Carried out over 22,000 public engagements apparently. That's quite a lifetime's shift! Saw a bit of what looked to me to be an excellent, honourable and most worthy send off.
May the bridges I burn light your way