This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:21 pm
Carried out over 22,000 public engagements apparently. That's quite a lifetime's shift! Saw a bit of what looked to me to be an excellent, honourable and most worthy send off.
Felt sorry for her Maj sat on her own. She looked like she needed a big cuddle. It was apparently how he wanted it but seemed a bit impersonal with no eulogy or sermon.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:43 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Carried out over 22,000 public engagements apparently. That's quite a lifetime's shift! Saw a bit of what looked to me to be an excellent, honourable and most worthy send off.
Felt sorry for her Maj sat on her own. She looked like she needed a big cuddle. It was apparently how he wanted it but seemed a bit impersonal with no eulogy or sermon.
I caught some of the erm 'highlights' earlier. I was a bit surprised to get proper choked up at one point. Nothing to do with the pomp or pageantry but the sight of an old lady watching her husband of 70 years being carried past in a box. :cry:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:01 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:43 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I caught some of the erm 'highlights' earlier. I was a bit surprised to get proper choked up at one point. Nothing to do with the pomp or pageantry but the sight of an old lady watching her husband of 70 years being carried past in a box. :cry:
Yes. Exactly that. Reminds you that that’s been the case for many funerals during Covid which is a sobering thought. I know the royals can’t be seen to have broken the rules but it’s a shame one of her children couldn’t have sat next to her.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 pm

I didn't watch it but am a big admirer of the old guy and his achievements. Yes he said some dubious stuff but not a patch on my own grandparents! Imagine he'd have been an interesting bloke to.chat to after a few ales, RIP.

A sad day for the queen particularly, I wonder if she still wants to do all the duties. Should be able to retire and relax with the grandkids without all the fuss of abdication.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 pm
Yes he said some dubious stuff but not a patch on my own grandparents!
Pearls from my very own Grandmother (who lived well into her late 90's. Who knew that Harvey's Bristol Cream is an elixir? :D )

"Well I don't mind 'em. They fetch a bit o' colour tert' place"

"Well you know - int th'olden' days you'd just o' called 'em fat and got on wi' it"

And many, many more :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 am

Jim Steinmann. Bat out of Hell was a phenomenon when it came out and as a pre-teen kick started my love of Rock Music

But now I guess I'll never find out what he wouldn't do for love. 😔

"and I think somebody, somewhere must be tolling a bell....."

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:20 pm

Rip Michael Collins. Imagine being on your very own in a space craft orbiting the moon, losing contact with everyone as it goes round one side of it, knowing your mates will become the famous ones for being the first to walk on it!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:15 pm

I only found out today that Pete Bland died of covid last November. He was a legend on the fell running circuit and you'd often see his red van with 'Pete Bland Sports' on the side, before races flogging all manner of kit and last minute items you might need. He'll be a real loss to the sport.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Not knowing all the facts it's wrong to comment too much, but a fifteen year old local lad killed a couple of days ago by somebody with a knife in the dawn hours. It's just like West Side Story except sixty years later, which in itself shows that not all things change or improve with time. God Bless the victim and those he leaves behind. R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed May 05, 2021 5:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 pm
Not knowing all the facts it's wrong to comment too much, but a fifteen year old local lad killed a couple of days ago by somebody with a knife in the dawn hours. It's just like West Side Story except sixty years later, which in itself shows that not all things change or improve with time. God Bless the victim and those he leaves behind. R.I.P.

14 & 15 year old arrested. Police aren’t looking for anyone else. I despair, I really do!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun May 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Ron Hill. Local and international legend. At one point in his life he ran every single day for several years, including the same day he had a heart operation.

His autobiographies are well worth a read if you ever come across them. He seemed like quite a prickly character and some of his old school attitudes make his stories a lot more humorous than I think he intended. Towards the end of his competitive career, his outrage at being beaten by a bloke wearing glasses and then, horror of horrors, a woman, is quite comical.

RIP

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:23 pm
Ron Hill. Local and international legend. At one point in his life he ran every single day for several years, including the same day he had a heart operation.

His autobiographies are well worth a read if you ever come across them. He seemed like quite a prickly character and some of his old school attitudes make his stories a lot more humorous than I think he intended. Towards the end of his competitive career, his outrage at being beaten by a bloke wearing glasses and then, horror of horrors, a woman, is quite comical.

RIP
A well-known name in our youth along with Bolton (United)? Harriers. R.I.P Ron, God bless.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun May 23, 2021 4:40 pm

That's right Tango, in 1966 Bolton United Harrier Mike Freary was second in the national cross country championships and wasn't even first from his club!
Genuine legend of the sport, commonwealth marathon champion, entrepreneur and running kit pioneer and just a real character and humble friendly bloke. Would see him at races into his 70s pottering round just to do them.

RIP

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun May 23, 2021 7:50 pm

For 52 years he ran every day. That’s insane. Rip Ron.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 am

Alan Miller. Ex Arsenal goalie. Only 51.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 am
Alan Miller. Ex Arsenal goalie. Only 51.
I remember him mainly from Boro. Was in Bryan Robson team that went up with us in 95 I think. What a shame.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am

Was at my uncle's funeral yesterday. One of life's good guys and a long term ST holder at Wanderers who took me to plenty of games as a youngsters, including Anfield in 93.
Died of pancreatic cancer a couple of weeks after watching the promotion game with hus family and insisted on being cremated in his Wanderers shirt. RIP

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:05 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am
Was at my uncle's funeral yesterday. One of life's good guys and a long term ST holder at Wanderers who took me to plenty of games as a youngsters, including Anfield in 93.
Died of pancreatic cancer a couple of weeks after watching the promotion game with hus family and insisted on being cremated in his Wanderers shirt. RIP
Commiserations to you and your family in your loss L.E. God bless and keep him. R.I.P.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:41 pm

Cheers Tango.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:14 pm

From me too chaps. Thoughts are with you folks.