Spotty's Little Known Facts

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Spotty's Little Known Facts

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Not far from where I lived for a couple of years back in time, is Britain's highest beach. It is miles away from the seaside. is in fact a secret stretch of sand 780ft above sea level and 60 miles inland above a Yorkshire village. :D

Read more: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... z3trHCPVHE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was not aware of that! My experience of Tod is somewhat different, in the 90s I twice did the Hot Toddy 6 mile road race held annually between Chistmas and New Year. Froze the old knackers off running up big hills. I'll leave it this year! You got a hot toddy at the finish line though
I used to get running practise enough, L.E, whenI lived in Walsden on Rochdale Road at the bottom of Ramsden Wood Road. At that time I still worked at Bradley Fold and caught the train from Walsden station to Rochdale and then another to Bolton that stopped at Bradley Fold. The alternative was five buses. More often than not I managed to miss the first bus soon after five thirty, or it was late or didn't turn up, and ran a mile to catch the train from Walsden Station, usually at least twice a week in full work gear and carrying a bag. No hot toddies though, just an embargo if you were late too much. I also played football for both Walsden and Todmorden. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:13 pm

Sounds like yiu deserved one.
Is Tod Lancs or Yorks? Never sure.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Sounds like yiu deserved one.
It's classed Yorks these days, but the actualy boundary runs through the middle of Todmorden Town Hall.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:14 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Sounds like yiu deserved one.
In full answer L.E, I looked this up because I'd heard the story and seen the building. Historically Todmorden Town Hall is supposedly divided equally over the Lancs/Yorks border line. The pic shows the town hall arch/portico with the words Lancashire (left) and Yorkshire (right). Apparently the other figures represent the cotton industry in the Lancashire case and the woolen industry in Yorkshires'

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Not far from where I lived for a couple of years back in time, is Britain's highest beach. It is miles away from the seaside. is in fact a secret stretch of sand 780ft above sea level and 60 miles inland above a Yorkshire village. :D

Read more: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... z3trHCPVHE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This would surely depend on how one defines beach. According to the OED this refers to stretches of shingle along the seashore (sand is not even a requited element).

If it is any stretch of sand I expect Bruce has put his golf balls in higher ones!
OED wrote: 1. (Usually collect., formerly occas. with pl.): The loose water-worn pebbles of the sea-shore; shingle.

†2. A ridge or bank of stones or shingle. Obs.

a. The shore of the sea, on which the waves break, the strand; spec. the part of the shore lying between high- and low-water-mark. Also applied to the shore of a lake or large river. In Geol. an ancient sea-margin.
(In early quotations, this sense is often doubtful: it is probably Shakespeare's sense in all the five passages in which he uses beach; though, taken by themselves, ‘stand vpon the Beach’ Merch. V. iv. i. 70, ‘the fishermen that walke vpon the beach’ Lear iv. v. 17, might as well belong to 1.)

b. Naut. The shore, any part of the coastline off which a ship is at anchor; hence on the beach, ashore; retired (the beach = land, civilian life); to take the beach, to go on shore leave. By extension on the beach is used to mean ‘beachcombing, unemployed’; also (occas.) penniless, ‘broke’.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 pm

^^
It's Yorkshire Monty.... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:45 pm

How on earth do the people of Tod pay the forfeit? Absolutely shit for getting your arse out, this one. No steps, no nowt. :conf:

May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:34 pm

^^ Good question. This is the rear view.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/497954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:27 pm

In the context of Brucie's post, I'm not sure we wanted to see the rear view...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:In the context of Brucie's post, I'm not sure we wanted to see the rear view...
I understood that. Those three Sally up -steps imitations are the best they can manage. Canny folk these Yorkies.. :wink: