Pubs of Bolton

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Pubs of Bolton

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I'll throw a mention in for the Lower Nag's Head as the best Friday night pub in Bolton. Twas a long time ago mind. :wink:
Do you remember the original Nag's Head, Tango? Which must have been next door to Burton's, I think.

The Lower Nag's Head was renowned for letting underage drinkers in whilst I was at school. It was the first town centre pub that I went in, aged 15.
Was that the one underneath the shops on Deansgate ... or the one on the bend at the Newport Street junction ? Both were awful, both were very 'teenage friendly'
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:14 pm

I came from Horwich and the place had ... still has ... some fine pubbery. The Toll Bar, as Chorley New and Chorley Old Roads rejoin was my fave and the only one with Thwaites in the town. The Queens Head, also near there and a whole run of good un's up toward the town centre.

I'm sure I've told the story of my experience in The Saddle on Lee Lane (recently renamed as such after a dalliance as Rosy O'Grady's or something like that.

OK, I was 19. I worked a summer holiday job driving a fork-truck at Stirling Mansell's bog-roll factory in Horwich throughout my school & Uni. days. Great fun it was too. If you do have to have a dull job, driving a fork-truck is as good as they come.

In this, pretty hot, summer I took to going with some of the guys I worked with to the Saddle, the roughest pub in the area, full of thieves, arsonists, fences & general rapscallions & rowdies.

The pub had been fined for late drinking, so was quite hot on last orders. In the week therefore at 10.20pm the lights flashed & shout made. I had developed the habit of getting 2 pints. One for then & one 'for the road' to drink as I walked home. No idea why ... I just did. Well, do you think those glasses came back ? Of course not, so over 7 or 8 weeks I had a collection of about 20+ glasses in my bedroom. Largely unwashed (I was 19 !!).

I went into the pub one day and saw a sign, hand written on a chalk-board. It said
"Glass Anemesty (spelt that way) ... Any glasses taken, just bring back. No questions asked"

I bought a pint & nodded at the sign. "What's that about, Dave ?" .... "Oh, I'm losing glasses hand over fist. I get an allowance for breakages from the brewery, but after that I have to buy them myself. It's costing me a pile". I sympathised and said nothing, but determined that I'd return my collection soon.

I washed, dried & polished them all, put them in a box and took them back soon after. I entered the pub, but the box on the bar top and nodded at Dave "... A pint of Tetley's please Dave ..."

He looked at the box ... then at me. Then looked at the box again, then me again ... "What the f-s that ?" He said, nodding toward the box. "... Oh, that ... well ... last orders ... 2 pints ... take home ... 7 or 8 weeks ... About 20 ... Sorry ... Amnesty... anyway, a pint of Tetley's please !" Big smiley face !

"You can f- off"

"Eh ?"

"You can f- off"

" ... But it says Anemesty " (I did actually say it as he'd written it !!) as I pointed at the sign. "No questions asked !!"

" ... yeah ... That was when I thought I had a glass problem. I now realised that I had a f-g YOU problem !! ... You can f- off. You're barred !!"

So, to uproar and cheers and table banging from the collected throng of ne'er-do-wells, I exited the roughest pub in town, barred.

I'm so proud !

By the time I returned to work on the Monday this had already done the rounds, of course. The guys I worked with all grabbed their tea-cups, clinging them to their bosoms when I went in the tea room.

In the canteen, after queuing for lunch I had mine served on a paper plate, with plastic cutlery, to great rounds of applause & giggles from the staff.

Still, in a roundabout way, it got me laid by the Personnel Manager's secretary !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I'll throw a mention in for the Lower Nag's Head as the best Friday night pub in Bolton. Twas a long time ago mind. :wink:
Do you remember the original Nag's Head, Tango? Which must have been next door to Burton's, I think.

The Lower Nag's Head was renowned for letting underage drinkers in whilst I was at school. It was the first town centre pub that I went in, aged 15.
Was that the one underneath the shops on Deansgate ... or the one on the bend at the Newport Street junction ? Both were awful, both were very 'teenage friendly'
The former.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:My Dad also went on to work at the Starkie. Anyone been in there? I certainly wouldn't go in there or the Rocket for that matter.
I grew up in Tonge Moor and have never felt the urge to visit the Starkie Arms. One of my distant relatives (who only had one brain cell) set up with a mobile disco thing years ago and his second booking was the Starkie. Needless to say half way through the night all his decks and speakers were smashed up and his music was stolen. Nice place the Starkie Arms.

I will suggest another one from a few years back. The Prince Rupert just off Lever Edge Lane. About 15 years ago one of my mates dragged me in on a bank holiday weekend. They were had a 'family day' with a barbecue. Got my first pint and sat down and one of the locals looked and me and said "What the feck are you looking at". Kept my head down looking at my trainers the rest of the day.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:My Dad also went on to work at the Starkie. Anyone been in there? I certainly wouldn't go in there or the Rocket for that matter.
A few years ago I'd been invited to an evening's boxing at Tonge Ward Labour Club. Course, soon as a fight finished the bar was rammers, they'd got about three staff on and those that could get served were trippling up and shouting them in for their mates. As such me and my mate thought 'feck it - let's go to The Starkie'. Walked in, had a very quick one and then, in preference walked to the offy at the end of Union Road and stood on the street like two tramps drinking out of cans. It was still better than being in The Starkie.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Different era Bobo. The Lower Nags on Deansgate was "the" place Friday nights back in the day. No music, just good beer and chat (ups).
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

So, Bobo. I now know two tales involving Horwich based retail premises and you. Both resulted in you being told to sling your hook - for good.

Any more? :lol:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Different era Bobo. The Lower Nags on Deansgate was "the" place Friday nights back in the day. No music, just good beer and chat (ups).
It was underground !!

Our pub-crawl most Saturdays started in the Albion by Moor Lane which allowed the gang to meet up having come in from Horwich, 'Owfen, Bradsham, Rammy, Astley Bridge, Leigh, Atherton. That was oily tasting Skol. I've never liked lager but that was the deal. Then one in the Gypsy's Tent and down to the Lower Nags, Three Crowns, Brass Cat, Swan (upstairs or down), Man & Scythe, Prince Bill, sometimes the Gaiety, down to the Alma and finally the Anchor.

Not every one, each night but always starting and finishing at the Albion and the Anchor.

I used to feel a bit rough most Sunday mornings. I think I may have been allergic to the crisps in the Nags.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:So, Bobo. I now know two tales involving Horwich based retail premises and you. Both resulted in you being told to sling your hook - for good.

I was banned from Tesco's too, don't forget !! :oops: :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote: Our pub-crawl most Saturdays started in the Albion by Moor Lane which allowed the gang to meet up having come in from Horwich, 'Owfen, Bradsham, Rammy, Astley Bridge, Leigh, Atherton. That was oily tasting Skol. I've never liked lager but that was the deal. Then one in the Gypsy's Tent and down to the Lower Nags, Three Crowns, Brass Cat, Swan (upstairs or down), Man & Scythe, Prince Bill, sometimes the Gaiety, down to the Alma and finally the Anchor.

Not every one, each night but always starting and finishing at the Albion and the Anchor.

I used to feel a bit rough most Sunday mornings. I think I may have been allergic to the crisps in the Nags.
Similar Bobo. Starter was the lamb on Halliwell then down on the bus to the Lower Nags. Maybe one in the Crown and Cushion then across to the Three Crowns, Brass Cat, Swan tap, and walk down to the Pack Horse or Balmoral before heading for the Empress.

Talking of old pubs etc, this : A walk from town to Daubhill might ring a few bells with the older heads. Sure did with me.

http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/a-to-daubhill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Help me out, Tango. I feel ashamed for not being able to remember the guy's name. I can picture him now. Taverna on Halliwell Road. Jug of sangria in the back room before heading off into town. Absolutely lovely bloke.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Help me out, Tango. I feel ashamed for not being able to remember the guy's name. I can picture him now. Taverna on Halliwell Road. Jug of sangria in the back room before heading off into town. Absolutely lovely bloke.
You mean Pedro...(he's from Barcelona you know) Passed on now I believe but I spent a fair few hours supping (and eating) in there. Real character. He was a revlutionary in the Spanish Civil War . WTW would have loved him

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Help me out, Tango. I feel ashamed for not being able to remember the guy's name. I can picture him now. Taverna on Halliwell Road. Jug of sangria in the back room before heading off into town. Absolutely lovely bloke.
You mean Pedro...(he's from Barcelona you know) Passed on now I believe but I spent a fair few hours supping (and eating) in there.
Course he was. Pedro's. I'm sure we even had a thread on here at his passing.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
You mean Pedro...(he's from Barcelona you know) Passed on now I believe but I spent a fair few hours supping (and eating) in there.
Yes, died a good few years ago. his name was Pedro Cuadradro Hernandez and during the Spanish Civil War he was enlisted on the anti-Fascist side. He was a frontier guard in 1939 and after the Franco victory in 1939, escaped over the border to Farance. There he was interned, and later he made his way to England. He told me he was interned in a camp in Adlington in the arly period but was released and moved to Bolton. He did several jobs before opening Taverna Pedro on Halliwell Road.

He was really good value when he got pissed, singing Spanish songs in a very sweet baritone, and pressing wine on you and refusing payment...

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:So, Bobo. I now know two tales involving Horwich based retail premises and you. Both resulted in you being told to sling your hook - for good.

I was banned from Tesco's too, don't forget !! :oops: :oops:
Your really becoming a bit of a Horwich legend here Bob banned from 2 pubs (one being the roughest in town) and Tesco and all by the sounds of it without throwing a punch. You have my congratulations.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yes, died a good few years ago. his name was Pedro Cuadradro Hernandez and during the Spanish Civil War he was enlisted on the anti-Fascist side. He was a frontier guard in 1939 and after the Franco victory in 1939, escaped over the border to Farance. There he was interned, and later he made his way to England. He told me he was interned in a camp in Adlington in the arly period but was released and moved to Bolton. He did several jobs before opening Taverna Pedro on Halliwell Road.

He was really good value when he got pissed, singing Spanish songs in a very sweet baritone, and pressing wine on you and refusing payment...
Pedro could be a bit selective as to who he let in, particularly later on in the evening. He tended to keep the door locked, supposedly against the police catching him serving after hours, but I've heard him tell folk he was closed when he felt like it. Told a tale of having three blokes being over rowdy and abusive one night. He served them but slipped
them a mickey in the form of some sort of diarrhea powder in their sangria. They never went back. Not enough Pedros' in the world. :wink:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am

Ill second the Shoulder love in, but the Hare & Hounds is terrific tho too. You probably wouldn’t eat there unless the Shoulder was shut or full, but beer selection is bang on. We go to both regular for a debrief after biking on the moor. Actually deliberating having xmas day at the H&H this yearr?

The Eagle & Child, im guessing you mean the one on the top road by Peel Browm out of Rammy on the way to the Fishermans? Ive not been in there since it reopened but apparently they knock out some decent nosebag these days? Again, you would probably just go the Fishermans tho...

The only Three Pigeons i know is in Astley Bridge, so maybe you meant an Eagle & Child in Bolton too.. :-/

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 am

General Mannerheim wrote:Ill second the Shoulder love in, but the Hare & Hounds is terrific tho too. You probably wouldn’t eat there unless the Shoulder was shut or full, but beer selection is bang on. We go to both regular for a debrief after biking on the moor. Actually deliberating having xmas day at the H&H this yearr?

The Eagle & Child, im guessing you mean the one on the top road by Peel Browm out of Rammy on the way to the Fishermans? Ive not been in there since it reopened but apparently they knock out some decent nosebag these days? Again, you would probably just go the Fishermans tho...

The only Three Pigeons i know is in Astley Bridge, so maybe you meant an Eagle & Child in Bolton too.. :-/
Sorry, I should have maybe done it in a seperate post from the Ramsbottom pubs. I'm meaning the one on the Wigan Road, SW of Bolton as you are coming in. It's got a big car park next to it which always seems full (or at least it's had quite a few cars in it more times than not), which would seem to suggest it might be a worthwhile destination. I've never stopped because the building itself doesn't look very inviting - it's got one of those mockTudor gable tops, and also I can never work out as I flash by whether it opens at dinner or not.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 am

Aye. The Three Pigeons (Or 'The Jockey' as it was known locally) in AB has had the Salford Curtains up for about a year now.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Aye. The Three Pigeons (Or 'The Jockey' as it was known locally) in AB has had the Salford Curtains up for about a year now.
Bloody hell .... that, and the Edge, were my 6th form dinner-time haunts.

Where do the school kids go now for a lunchtime pie & a pint, ffs ?