Pubs of Bolton

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Pubs of Bolton

Post by mrkint » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 am

Only pub I've been in which made me feel a bit scared was one last year in Eccles. I was back for christmas I think and went to eccles sports centre to play some badminton with a mate. Afterwards we went to this pub nearby, which Google Maps tells me is the Royal Oak. It was mid afternoon, so quite quiet. Ordered a pint. Barman didn't have a nose. As in, there was just a hole in his face. We sat down with our pints and saw that three or four patrons in there were staring at us. Then they kept asking questions like 'who are you' 'where are you from' but more in a manner of interregation than friendly chat. Nervous smiles all around.

We drank and left. Obviously nothing bad happened, but it was just a place where you 'know' something bad has/is/will happen.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Aye. The Three Pigeons (Or 'The Jockey' as it was known locally) in AB has had the Salford Curtains up for about a year now.
Bloody hell .... that, and the Edge, were my 6th form dinner-time haunts.

Where do the school kids go now for a lunchtime pie & a pint, ffs ?
haha, gawd knows! my school days pubs were the Arthur Inn and the Eagle & Child at the bottom of Bolton Road. Ones now a Dominos pizza and the other a Karate dojo! which is quite apt thinking about it...

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:46 pm

My mate's uncle used to have the Starkie so I've been in there a few times. The Karoke was something to see...

Years ago, my dad was meeting my mum off the train in town so nipped for a quick pint in the Church and had no idea it was one of "those" pubs.

He said the lads in there seemed to be enjoying themselves so he had his pint, read the paper and went to meet my mum.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Did you ever tell him as to what sort of establishment he'd had a snifter in? What did he say? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Did you ever tell him as to what sort of establishment he'd had a snifter in? What did he say? :D

How dare you insinuate my dad had a "snifter"!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Did you ever tell him as to what sort of establishment he'd had a snifter in? What did he say? :D

To be fair, he did pick up on it, but he'd paid for his pint so I don't blame him. I'd sit in there all afternoon if it got me out of trailing around the shops with her...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:52 pm

Was looking for bruce's story, found this thread. Think it should probably be updated given that three or four weeks ago the order was given to tear the Dog & Partridge down. A crying shame.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:52 pm

On another note when i was back in bolton in June i went in the Lord Clyde for the first time. It smelt funny.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 am

KeyserSoze wrote:On another note when i was back in bolton in June i went in the Lord Clyde for the first time. It smelt funny.
Still on my list of pubs to go to. As a completist you understand.

So is The Nelson Hotel, at the corner of Chorley Old Rd and Gaskell St. Looks fecking grim when I pass it on the omnibus between Horwich and Bolton, I'm intrigued. My housemate refuses to go in, but I have a friend who lives round a corner and she'll go anywhere if I buy her a pint.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:10 am

LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:On another note when i was back in bolton in June i went in the Lord Clyde for the first time. It smelt funny.

So is The Nelson Hotel, at the corner of Chorley Old Rd and Gaskell St. Looks fecking grim when I pass it on the omnibus between Horwich and Bolton, I'm intrigued. My housemate refuses to go in, but
So is The Nelson Hotel, at the corner of Chorley Old Rd and Gaskell St. Looks fecking grim when I pass it on the omnibus between Horwich and Bolton, I'm intrigued. My housemate refuses to go in, but I have a friend who lives round a corner and she'll go anywhere if I buy her a pint.

FFFNNNAAAAAARRRRRRR :lol:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:58 pm

LeverEnd wrote:

To be fair the Clyde, while rough, didn't feel unwelcoming. But smelt weird, yes.

Haha, just looked at that on google maps. Woof!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:26 pm

LeverEnd wrote:

Is it a hotel now? It was just a pub back in my day, named I think after the Nelson Mills on Gaskell st. The Omnibuses from Horwich to Trinity St (72 and 78) went along Chorley New Road so missed the Nelson. Can't have too many rooms IIR the building correctly (never went in mind).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:45 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Can't have too many rooms IIR the building correctly (never went in mind).

Grim

A cynic may suggest that its a cover for some illegal activities

Not me, though
Sto ut Serviam

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:00 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Can't have too many rooms IIR the building correctly (never went in mind).

Grim

Not me, though
I'll check. Once I've got my pint I'll ask if they've got any Clarky Cat or Triple Sod.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Did some research yesterday and the asian fella who has it has had it for years and hes a decent sort

I'm still not going in
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:26 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Grim

Not me, though
I'll check. Once I've got my pint I'll ask if they've got any Clarky Cat or Triple Sod.
At your age you've got to look after your Shatner's Bassoon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:31 pm

My Uncle Jim's wake was held there. :pissed:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:46 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

Grim

Not me, though
Paint the rails brown, tie a couple of horses up outside and you could use it in Poldark... :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?