Pubs of Bolton

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Re: Pubs of Bolton

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I think we should have a thread about our local boozers, don't you? Especially given that they're tearing down the Flying Shuttle just now.

Saw this on FB and decided to share. Me and a pal were only discussing last week that for a dare we should one day go and have a pint in The Rocket, Breightmet, but now I'm not so sure. Oh, and by the way, when the regulars in the Lord Clyde tell you that somewhere's a bit rough..................... :shock:

About five years ago, I was in the pub with two of my friends when we were talking about a pub shutting down up the road. One of my friends mentioned he had never been in the pub, my other friend and I both said we had ‘ticked it’. So my mate became determined to have a pint in the pub before it closed. We then starting talking about other pubs in Bury which we had not been in and we said we should visit as many pubs in our town before they disappear for good. The night passed in a drunken haze and like so many challenges set when we had had a beer or two, I presumed this would be forgotten, but no.

The next day I received an email from my friend, which listed every pub in the borough of Bury, taking in Bury itself, Whitefield, Prestwich, Radcliffe, Ramsbottom and Tottington. The next week was spent pouring over the list by all three of us, to work out which pubs we knew were shut and which pubs we had all ticked. We got the list down to 184 pubs.

I had two weeks summer holiday booked and had no plans, so I told my mates I was gonna tick as many pubs as I could, the rule is you must have at least one alcoholic drink in each pub. They said they would join me, however as they didn’t have holidays booked, spurious injuries and ailments were invented to keep them off work for the duration.

And so our hobby of ticking pubs began. We would visit every pub in the Bury area and tick them, this was no mean feat, the cost of the beer, taxis, the frustration of getting to a pub to find it was shut and then having to make a return trip at a later date. But we all managed it, we had ticked every pub in our home town.

Once this was completed, we were looking for our next challenge. one of my friends came up with the idea of just continuing ticking pubs that we had never been in, so we carried on, in our own way. Various challenges were set, one was to tick 100 different pubs in a year. This was easily surpassed by them half way through the year. So this question was posed: I bet you cant do 365 in one year? challenge on.

One of my friends managed 402 in one year my other friend had a frantic December to get to 368 before the New Years Eve Midnight deadline. I went along for the ride but my heart wasn’t really in it. I managed a rather puny 180 pubs.

Midnight 31 December 2010

I was out drinking round Blackrod & Horwich that night, any pubs before midnight were classed as 2010, any after midnight were counted as 2011. I ticked 3 pubs after midnight, so I’d already had a good start to the year for my 365 challenge.

I kept a list of the pub names I visited and the town where the pubs were. Throughout the early part of 2011 I have a very good drinking partner who would join me and enjoy visiting different pubs around the area. At first it was easy to find pubs I’d not done but as time went on, the challenge would take me further and further afield, my drinking partner would spot pubs on her travels then text me and we would plan a visit to somewhere, like Atherton, Wigan, Birkenhead, Pontefract and the like. We wanted to visit pubs that were likely to close down, ones on council estates, None of my ticking friends were interested in visiting chain pubs, such as Yates’s or Weatherspoons. We wanted pubs with character and in some cases, pubs that had been neglected due to perceived rough reputations.

This brings me on to The Rocket.

I intended to go to Bromley Cross to tick several pubs I had identified, but due to my confusion I got off at the wrong train station and I wanted to get something out of my night, I went on walkabout. I ticked a few pubs and then ended up at a lovely pub called the Lord Clyde on the outskirts of Bolton town centre. I got talking to the locals and I told them of my mission and asked if there were any pubs nearby. They laughed and told me about a pub called The Rocket in Breightmet. I ordered a taxi, but they warned me not to go there, they strongly advised me not to go. I ordered a taxi anyway. I’ve always had a mentality that if someone tells me not to do something I will end up doing it. The taxi arrived and I told the driver my destination. He seemed shocked and he also advised me in no uncertain terms not to go there, but this just added to my sense of adventure and nothing was gonna stop me now. It was starting to get dark when the taxi pulled up outside The Rocket.

I walked in and straight up to the bar, The landlord said to me, before I even ordered a drink, “Are you a cop?” I said no, he said “we don’t serve cops in here” I said I’m not a cop. I asked for a pint of Carling, the pub was out of Carling, so I asked for Stella, the pub was also out of Stella, I asked him what drink he could offer me and he gave me a can of Woodpecker cider and charged me £2.70. I took my warm cider and sat down on my own. There were a group of drunk locals sitting round a table, all between the ages of 40 – 50. They looked at me, I looked at the carpet, They shouted “Oy, are you a cop?” Once again I said I wasn’t, “what you doin in ‘ere then? this is a local’s pub” I explained I was on a pub crawl and popped in for a quiet drink before heading on my way. One member of the group pointed to the lady in their group and said “She hates cops, if you are a cop, she’ll scratch your f**king eyes out” I said calmly and politely that I was just in for a drink before being on my way.

Sitting drinking warm woodpecker cider from a can in a pub where everyone is staring and thinking I’m a cop. I needed a cig, I went out to the car park, I was followed by the woman who would “scratch my eyes out”. I don’t want to appear facetious at this point but the lady, and this is my poor knowledge of the English language that leads me to describe her in such an accurate but blunt manner that you would have a picture of this lady in your mind, if I described her in just two words as a toothless crone.

She asked if I was a cop, I told her I wasn’t and she asked for a cig, I gave her one. We bonded a bit, maybe due to my nervousness, she told me to come and join her friends, I joined her group of people and I felt very scared. They all asked if I was a cop and told me that cops aren’t welcome in this pub, I felt very nervous, I went to the gents toilets with my can of woodpecker and waited there for about ten minutes, Whilst I was drinking my can (quickly) I tweeted this “Somebody save me. This pub is from The Hills Have Eyes. If I give birth to a mutant tomoz, you’ll know why!”

All the time I was texting my mate, so that he knew where I was and what was happening, just in case something did happen to me. Whilst sending one message, the toothless crone looking at the screen of my phone and yelled “I CAN f**king read y’know” I felt like saying “Well, so can I” but this didn’t seem like an opportune time to be playing ‘Keeping up with the Jones’s’

The pub smelt horrible, of stale chip fat, the smell I always associate with going in to the flat of someone with learning difficulties. The carpet was torn and I stuck to it when trying to walk, the tables and decor reeked of a place that had gone unloved for well over 20 years. The pub was large with another room through a set of double doors, There was a guy in there playing pool on his own. I decided to stay put in the front room. The walls were stained with years of nicotine abuse.

I was chatting to the locals but I was still very apprehensive. I felt that at any moment the mood could change from a relative calm to mayhem. My lady friend, had taken a shine to me, and started stroking my arm. I’m thankful that I was wearing a shirt, jumper and a coat because I’ve not had a tetanus jab for several years. Her boyfriend got slightly jealous and called her a “slag” I said I’m very flattered by your attention, however I have a girlfriend and she wont be pleased if I’m in here with you. I tried as best I could to drink as quickly as possible. I asked them all if they knew of any other pubs round here. To which they took great offence. “What’s wrong with this pub? not posh enough for you, why don’t you f**k off back down South, you posh f**king c**t”

with those words ringing in my ears I excused myself and melted in to the night air.

I’ve ticked the pub, which none of my mates have done and I never have to go back. Every time I speak to someone from Breightmet, I ask them about The Rocket and they all say it is rough and that they have never been in for that reason. The Rocket will always have a place in my heart as the roughest dodgiest pub I have ever been in. On reflection I’m so glad I went there and I hope the pub is still around in 30 years time.
Great story you got there Bruce. I have to ask the forum which pub is the "roughest" both now and over the years I always thought it was the Flying Shuttle (the mail did an article about it being the worst in Britain, I am sure they write about 30 articles with that heading every year) with the Rocket coming close second. I know the Balmoral also has a bad reputation as well.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:So what's the best real ale pub in Rammy these days. I passed through just last week and was nearly tempted to stop off at one of Hare and Hounds or Eagle and Child, but didn't. And I've also previously been intrigued by the Three Pigeons, what's that like?
Nip up in to Holcombe for an outstanding pint of Timmy Taylor's Landlord, Spotty, and whilst you're there - cheese and onion pie to die for.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:So what's the best real ale pub in Rammy these days. I passed through just last week and was nearly tempted to stop off at one of Hare and Hounds or Eagle and Child, but didn't. And I've also previously been intrigued by the Three Pigeons, what's that like?
Nip up in to Holcombe for an outstanding pint of Timmy Taylor's Landlord, Spotty, and whilst you're there - cheese and onion pie to die for.
Next time I head Lakewards I'll do that.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Forgot to tell you which pub :oops:

Shoulder of Mutton.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Shoulder of Mutton.
I was assuming it was a one horse town kind of situation. Holcombe's tiny isn't it, or am I mixing it up?
A bit west of Ramsbottom?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Shoulder of Mutton.
I was assuming it was a one horse town kind of situation. Holcombe's tiny isn't it, or am I mixing it up?
A bit west of Ramsbottom?
Actually, yes. You couldn't possibly have confused it as there's nothing to confuse it with. If the Hare & Hounds is on your left, take the fork up the hill rather than carrying on towards Rammy. We often take overseas visitors when they want to eat and drink in a traditional English pub - they absolutely love it, and with good reason.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Shoulder of Mutton.
That's my friend's brother's pub! Mr 89 often goes there to valet their cars and gets free food, he loves it! I'll have to pass on your appreciation for the pie Bruce!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:37 pm

89bwfc89 wrote: That's my friend's brother's pub! Mr 89 often goes there to valet their cars and gets free food, he loves it! I'll have to pass on your appreciation for the pie Bruce!
Ah, he's just taken over the Pack Horse at Affetside too hasn't he?

Tell Mr 89 to get you taken to one of them for dinner (that's a meal in the evening) ;)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote: That's my friend's brother's pub! Mr 89 often goes there to valet their cars and gets free food, he loves it! I'll have to pass on your appreciation for the pie Bruce!

Tell Mr 89 to get you taken to one of them for dinner (that's a meal in the evening) ;)

No it's not.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

No it's not.
:lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 pm

You two belong in The Rocket. Peasants. :D

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:21 pm

You're such a snob Brucie ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:23 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:You're such a snob Brucie ;)
the butler made him say it! 8)

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 pm

thebish wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:You're such a snob Brucie ;)
the butler made him say it! 8)
Quite...he'll be resting in the east wing at the moment.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Been in most Bolton pubs at one time or another and played darts in a few like the Greyhound, New Zealand Chief etc. The Rocket's been a roughouse for donkey's years. The Griffin definitely in a league of its own at one time along with Wood Street Club and The Wine Lodge.
When asked why the police let Wood Street stay open, the reply was " So we know where to find the fxckers without trying". :wink:
When we were about 19 me and my mate decided to have an alternative night out in town - starting at the Greyhound, then from memory - Hen & Chickens, Gypsy's Tent, White Lion, Griffin, Clifton, York, Wheatsheaf and The Ancient Shepherd. By the time we ended up in the New Zealand Chief we were rather refreshed and ended up in a fight with a couple of the regulars. Well, to find a fight with a couple of regulars in there was to find a fight with all of them, Landlord and all. Chairs started flying and the lot. We didn't run off from many (not that we ended up scrapping regularly you understand) but we fecking well ran from that!
I can remember every pub in them lists except for that one. Where was it?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Used to have the Castle at the junction of Crompton Way/Tonge Moor Road as my local. The place had a dodgy reputation, but I can honestly say that in all the times that i've supped in there, I never saw an ounce of trouble. Mind you, that could be down to John Wayne being a local. :lol: Anyone who ever went in there from the 80's onwards most have known, or at least seen 'Big John'!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Used to have the Castle at the junction of Crompton Way/Tonge Moor Road as my local. The place had a dodgy reputation, but I can honestly say that in all the times that i've supped in there, I never saw an ounce of trouble. Mind you, that could be down to John Wayne being a local. :lol: Anyone who ever went in there from the 80's onwards most have known, or at least seen 'Big John'!
Nat Lofthouse had that place at one time when Crompton Way Casino was going strong.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Used to have the Castle at the junction of Crompton Way/Tonge Moor Road as my local. The place had a dodgy reputation, but I can honestly say that in all the times that i've supped in there, I never saw an ounce of trouble. Mind you, that could be down to John Wayne being a local. :lol: Anyone who ever went in there from the 80's onwards most have known, or at least seen 'Big John'!
Nat Lofthouse had that place at one time when Crompton Way Casino was going strong.
I know. My Mum worked there 70's/80's and during one refurb they stripped the walls of the vault. Underneath on one wall was a lifesize mural of Nat. In their wisdom the brewery covered it up again. :crazy: My Dad worked next door when it was the Casino and also when it was Copperfields. Had some very big names on there, from the stories I was told as a kid.

My Dad also went on to work at the Starkie. Anyone been in there? I certainly wouldn't go in there or the Rocket for that matter.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote: I can remember every pub in them lists except for that one. Where was it?
The New Zealand Chief was on Great Moor Street. Small place up some steps, next block up from St Patricks Church and opposite the old Turkish Baths. It was demolished in 84, and if memory serves it was next door to a bike shop. I remember Shannons used to be on the Great Moor Street/Newport Street corner just higher up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote: Nat Lofthouse had that place at one time when Crompton Way Casino was going strong.
I know. My Mum worked there 70's/80's and during one refurb they stripped the walls of the vault. Underneath on one wall was a lifesize mural of Nat. In their wisdom the brewery covered it up again. :crazy: My Dad worked next door when it was the Casino and also when it was Copperfields. Had some very big names on there, from the stories I was told as a kid.[/quote]

They did. The Casino was a top venue for dance bands and well known names. One of the best nights around back then along with the Monaco in Farnworth.