The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Latest attempt. Purely imaginary and called it Fox moon

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:46 pm

^ You're defo in your 'snow' period Tango.
I quite like that one Tango, but. Two things I'm not too keen on. First is the sweep of the road into the middle distance which then does a David Blaine disappearing act (doesn't draw my eye in, and gives the sky too much disconnect with the rest). Second thing is that the tyre tracks show a depth to the snow, but then old foxy looks like he's just snow ploughed his way through much deeper stuff.
Apart from that I like it - quite a nice fox, wonderful snow covered wooden fencing, good sky.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ You're defo in your 'snow' period Tango.
I quite like that one Tango, but. Two things I'm not too keen on. First is the sweep of the road into the middle distance which then does a David Blaine disappearing act (doesn't draw my eye in, and gives the sky too much disconnect with the rest). Second thing is that the tyre tracks show a depth to the snow, but then old foxy looks like he's just snow ploughed his way through much deeper stuff.
Apart from that I like it - quite a nice fox, wonderful snow covered wooden fencing, good sky.
Okay, fair comment Spots and thanks for the interest. In reply to it, this is what I tried to represent:

The road actually, via a lane, ( not the fence) leads back to two cottages on the far left (you'll have to look for them). Foxy's "snow-plough "track is actually a long shadow from the moonlight ( moon high and right) and echoed by the trees, hedge etc. I do take your points on board though. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:01 pm

If a fox throws a six foot shadow from the moon it cannot be high - it would be just above the horizon. The wall which is taller has a much shorter shadow. Still, who cares - I liked it.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:12 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:If a fox throws a six foot shadow from the moon it cannot be high - it would be just above the horizon. The wall which is taller has a much shorter shadow. Still, who cares - I liked it.
Tough, very tough! :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Much more fun having a few things wrong to discuss than boring perfection... :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:05 am

I hesitate to share my work in such company - and it's coloured pencil work, rather than actual paint.. but we all have to start somewhere, and I'm quite proud of it...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:24 am

thebish wrote:I hesitate to share my work in such company - and it's coloured pencil work, rather than actual paint.. but we all have to start somewhere, and I'm quite proud of it...

Excellent beginning. ( Although technically you should have started a new thread, either 'the Drawing Thread' or 'the Monumental Cock-up Thread').
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:I hesitate to share my work in such company - and it's coloured pencil work, rather than actual paint.. but we all have to start somewhere, and I'm quite proud of it...

Excellent beginning. ( Although technically you should have started a new thread, either 'the Drawing Thread' or 'the Monumental Cock-up Thread').
Or perhaps the " I have nothing better to do so I'll troll around weird sites and find something to make myself look funny" thread..?

http://tosh.cc.com/blog/2014/06/19/a-proper-thank-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Thought I'd mention on this thread rather than the holiday thread, that Mrs C and I have just booked an art holiday in Tuscany for October. Its Mrs C that's the artist, watercolour mainly, and I'll be wandering around Florence and Pisa etc with my camera. Something we've always planned on and now we've been and gone and done it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 pm

clapton is god wrote:Thought I'd mention on this thread rather than the holiday thread, that Mrs C and I have just booked an art holiday in Tuscany for October. Its Mrs C that's the artist, watercolour mainly, and I'll be wandering around Florence and Pisa etc with my camera. Something we've always planned on and now we've been and gone and done it.
Really envious of that. Any chance you might put a few pics up of both yours and hers work when you get back?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:16 pm

^ Of course!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Put the finishing touches to a couple of portraits of Charlotte Bronte at diffferent times and using pics taken from paintings by others.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Rubbish football team gets whacked three nil, goalie out for three games, snow on the floor, what better to do than paint. Still in the snow mode but it's fitting right now. Rivington pigeon tower from a photo idea. Been there many times in the past. View is from a hill above the tower which is quite tall.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Have you never been tempted to go to art class Tango to perfect your techniques? My old man who's a dab hand at this and an enthusiastic amateur, reckoned he came on leaps and bounds from the classes he attended.

I really like your stuff and I was impressed at your portrait attempts. My dad always says eyes and hands are the trickiest to get right. Would you agree?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

Nailed it!
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Have you never been tempted to go to art class Tango to perfect your techniques? My old man who's a dab hand at this and an enthusiastic amateur, reckoned he came on leaps and bounds from the classes he attended.

I really like your stuff and I was impressed at your portrait attempts. My dad always says eyes and hands are the trickiest to get right. Would you agree?
Cheers H.G and Bruce. Age, and no longer driving are the main deterrants, H.G. If I was much younger, then yes, it would help enemously. That said, there is an incredible amount of lesson facility available on the internet and I'm learning all the time from those. The main thing I get from it is pleasure and I always try to make the effort mine in some way rather than just a purely photographic attempt. I appreciate any and all comments and do take them aboard.

ps, Your dad's dead right about eyes and hands.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Well, I disagree. I find eyes quite easy. It's hair and noses I find hardest.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Well, I disagree. I find eyes quite easy. It's hair and noses I find hardest.
So not good at nasal hair at all then?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Well, I disagree. I find eyes quite easy. It's hair and noses I find hardest.
To be honest, although I try a few from time to time, I don't really like attempting portraits in general. Same with most still life stuff. Both seems contrived and posed rather than natural. If I see anything I like that just catches my eye I'd much rather paint or draw that even if it's an old fence, a flower or a tree. I think that's why I'm such a fan of impressionism and love Turner's stuff along with Monet, Whistler, John Singer Sargent and the rest. There are some really brilliant modern day artists about, too many to name, but Allan Kirk is one of my favourites. I'm just happy to keep daubing along.. :wink: