The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 pm

This is one probably of no interest to anyone but me, but I enjoyed doing it. Autofocus has made the colours look false but it was just a bit of fun. I'll have to amputate her right hand and do a transplant tomorrow, but apart from that it looks mainly okay.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:This is one probably of no interest to anyone but me, but I enjoyed doing it. Autofocus has made the colours look false but it was just a bit of fun. I'll have to amputate her right hand and do a transplant tomorrow, but apart from that it looks mainly okay.

Why is a ghost or skull coming out of his breast pocket or is that a Vulcan?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Why is a ghost or skull coming out of his breast pocket or is that a Vulcan?
Oh dear, Monty. That's a white carnation...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Why is a ghost or skull coming out of his breast pocket or is that a Vulcan?
Oh dear, Monty. That's a white carnation...
Oh! :oops:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Civilisation ended above the Lord Raglan and the Mop (Weavers) upwards and the New Inn downwards.
Here's one for you, Tango. Why's The Weavers called the Mop? That said, we used to call the whole dip/bit between the bottom of Raglan Street and Astley Bridge Cemetery as 'nipping through the Mop'.
Do you know Bruce, despite living not too far away from it for years, I haven't the faintest idea. It was just an area as you say, the Raglan, the Mop Brook, Raglan Street, Burtons football pitch, Weavers etc, were just "The Mop". If you know why please tell?
I've no idea, fella. I was hoping you might. It came up in conversation the other day. I wonder if that sherbert factory's still down there?

The Mop (Weavers Arms) gets its name from an incident back in its history when the cleaner, having just finished mopping the flag floor, left the Mop to dry by propping it against the door frame.

It being a particularly cold day the mop head froze to the frame. It stayed there for some days as it was a cold snap and the pub adopted the nickname of 't'frizzen Mop' which became shortened over time to just the Mop. The area is named after the pub.

And no. The sherbet factory (where I spent some Saturday mornings in my youth asking for 'spares') is now closed.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Civilisation ended above the Lord Raglan and the Mop (Weavers) upwards and the New Inn downwards.
Here's one for you, Tango. Why's The Weavers called the Mop? That said, we used to call the whole dip/bit between the bottom of Raglan Street and Astley Bridge Cemetery as 'nipping through the Mop'.
Do you know Bruce, despite living not too far away from it for years, I haven't the faintest idea. It was just an area as you say, the Raglan, the Mop Brook, Raglan Street, Burtons football pitch, Weavers etc, were just "The Mop". If you know why please tell?
I've no idea, fella. I was hoping you might. It came up in conversation the other day. I wonder if that sherbert factory's still down there?

The Mop (Weavers Arms) gets its name from an incident back in its history when the cleaner, having just finished mopping the flag floor, left the Mop to dry by propping it against the door frame.

It being a particularly cold day the mop head froze to the frame. It stayed there for some days as it was a cold snap and the pub adopted the nickname of 't'frizzen Mop' which became shortened over time to just the Mop. The area is named after the pub.

And no. The sherbet factory (where I spent some Saturday mornings in my youth asking for 'spares') is now closed.
That's a really interesting pub, like a timewarp. Never even heard of it til I went there last year. Me and a mate have taken to doing pubcrawls round various parts of Bolton as we are losing pubs so quickly. Next time I do one I'll put it in the right thread.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:20 pm

When our Alfie found out Spotty's dog had had a portrait painted he went into sulk mode so I had to do a pencil and wash of him. :wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Nice one Tango.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Looks like he's been in the coal shed again, TANGO. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Dujon wrote:Looks like he's been in the coal shed again, TANGO. :wink:
Not heard coal sheds mentioned in a fair old while Dujon. Real blast from the past. :wink:

As for Alfie, he's black, white and grey with touches of red around his mouth area. Even when he's just had a bath he resembles a pile of dirty washing. An utter scruff bag in fact, useful for barking at everybody (which makes him a great guard dog) and not much else. Eating, sleeping, playing and walks comprise his whole world.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:54 am

Nice, Tango - you've caught his lugubrious little face well. I remember seeing that photo on here, I think.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Nice, Tango - you've caught his lugubrious little face well. I remember seeing that photo on here, I think.
Ha, ha. Lugubrious is right. Not sure if any breed of dog is happy looking, but Shih tzu's are real miserable looking little so and so's at best. :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm

63 Steps, scene of some happy memories. When we first got taken for an Easter Sunday walk as kids it seemed like Mount Everest. Later, teenage walks and juvenile courting many Sunday afternoons, summer and winter. Later again, start of some great walks Easter and other times. Had to be painted, from an old postcard, imagination and a bit of memory. Made no attempt to be detailed as the steps are the focus.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:03 pm

I'd never been to Barrow Bridge so missed something. I used to walk the dog up Walker Fold on the other side of the golf course not far away. It would have been interesting to see the model village. Pity.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I'd never been to Barrow Bridge so missed something. I used to walk the dog up Walker Fold on the other side of the golf course not far away. It would have been interesting to see the model village. Pity.
Way back Barrow Bridge on a sunny day was as nice as it got. The boating lake was still going when I was a teenager and all the tea shops over the wooden bridges were in action. A very popular walk venue and right next to Moss Bank Park. Not been there for some time.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I'd never been to Barrow Bridge so missed something. I used to walk the dog up Walker Fold on the other side of the golf course not far away. It would have been interesting to see the model village. Pity.
Way back Barrow Bridge on a sunny day was as nice as it got. The boating lake was still going when I was a teenager and all the tea shops over the wooden bridges were in action. A very popular walk venue and right next to Moss Bank Park. Not been there for some time.

Even when I was a kid Barrow Bridge was a popular place on a sunny Sunday. We'd wade up the stream to the 'Cigarette tunnel' and run through shouting and screaming 'til the echo fair deafened you.

The 63 steps used to lead to a factory I believe but I only knew it as a means to a footpath a across the fields towards Bob's Smithy. My wife tells a story of going up there with her dad picking flowers as a small child.

Nice memories. Cheers TD

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: Even when I was a kid Barrow Bridge was a popular place on a sunny Sunday. We'd wade up the stream to the 'Cigarette tunnel' and run through shouting and screaming 'til the echo fair deafened you.

The 63 steps used to lead to a factory I believe but I only knew it as a means to a footpath a across the fields towards Bob's Smithy. My wife tells a story of going up there with her dad picking flowers as a small child. Nice memories. Cheers TD
Gee, the Cigarette Tunnel. That does bring back memories. Bluebell forest and Robin Hood days. :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Barrow Bridge still my favourite starting point for a walk up Winter Hill... those houses, each with their own bridge, are so - I guess - 'cute'...

BTW, Gary, I was told the 63 steps were there for miners - a drift mine on the hillside... I think there might be some kind of explanation on a sign post near the steps... will check next time...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Absolutely everything you need to know about Barrow Bridge can be found here:

http://www.bolton.gov.uk/sites/Document ... dgeCAx.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Had a dabble at a portrait. Lenny is my great grandson and I worked from a photo I took myself. Colours never come out true on pics posted on here but they aren't too bad. Guess this falls in tha "maudlin sentimentality" class. :wink: