The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Well, I disagree. I find eyes quite easy. It's hair and noses I find hardest.
So not good at nasal hair at all then?
I can grow the fxcking stuff for England, but yes, what a nightmare to paint.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

I've got a collection together of a couple of dozen paintings/sketches of places of interest in and around Bolton. I just added this one in:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Real sad to see Alan Rickman pass on at too young an age. Had to have a dabble at a portrait. Not the best maybe, and probably not caught it as well as I'd have liked, but this was from a period film role I enjoyed:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:01 pm

Had a session of snow pictures, so tried painting a summery theme. Rivington Lower Reservoir. Impressionist, no attempt at detail, bright summer day, no real wind, water a little low and showing the bank edges. Sun high but some cloud about. The geography is right, from various photos and memory, the sail boats imaginary.( They have had sailboats on there at times, but small ones.)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Same water but taken from near the Pike.

This was a photo I took years ago, converted to a painting by my wife and I've now photographed it to show here, so the quality has not quite made the trip.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:48 pm

^ I Get the idea though Clappers, and I bet both the photograph and the painting are ace. Good subject.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Had a session of snow pictures, so tried painting a summery theme. Rivington Lower Reservoir. Impressionist, no attempt at detail, bright summer day, no real wind, water a little low and showing the bank edges. Sun high but some cloud about. The geography is right, from various photos and memory, the sail boats imaginary.( They have had sailboats on there at times, but small ones.)
I don't remember any sailing on Rivington Reservoir. The yachts (and yacht club) was on Belmont reservoir in the 1950s. I don't know if the club is still there.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Had a session of snow pictures, so tried painting a summery theme. Rivington Lower Reservoir. Impressionist, no attempt at detail, bright summer day, no real wind, water a little low and showing the bank edges. Sun high but some cloud about. The geography is right, from various photos and memory, the sail boats imaginary.( They have had sailboats on there at times, but small ones.)
I don't remember any sailing on Rivington Reservoir. The yachts (and yacht club) was on Belmont reservoir in the 1950s. I don't know if the club is still there.
Have a look here Monty....http://www.andertoncentre.co.uk/our-place/our-location/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:50 pm

clapton is god wrote:Same water but taken from near the Pike.

This was a photo I took years ago, converted to a painting by my wife and I've now photographed it to show here, so the quality has not quite made the trip.

Is that acrylics or oils Clappers?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

I know Mrs Clapton paints watercolours as he's mentioned it before, but I'd say that was watercolor anyway at a guess. I'll be happy to be corrected...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I know Mrs Clapton paints watercolours as he's mentioned it before, but I'd say that was watercolor anyway at a guess. I'll be happy to be corrected...
It looks a tad too 'layered' for watercolour to me Tango. I can almost see the palette knife effect. But I am viewing it on a tiny phone screen, and the resolution ain't great...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:39 pm

clapton is god wrote:Same water but taken from near the Pike.

I have a wall at home, Clappers, that's begging for a six foot (in length) framed version of that. Absolutely fantastic.
May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I know Mrs Clapton paints watercolours as he's mentioned it before, but I'd say that was watercolor anyway at a guess. I'll be happy to be corrected...
It looks a tad too 'layered' for watercolour to me Tango. I can almost see the palette knife effect. But I am viewing it on a tiny phone screen, and the resolution ain't great...
It is indeed watercolour, but has many layers. Mrs C mostly does watercolour, so well remembered Mr T, and also likes to 'mess around' with drawing. She went to life drawing sessions for a year or so and now attends a portrait class every week in addition to a painting class.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:57 pm

clapton is god wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It is indeed watercolour, but has many layers. Mrs C mostly does watercolour, so well remembered Mr T, and also likes to 'mess around' with drawing. She went to life drawing sessions for a year or so and now attends a portrait class every week in addition to a painting class.
Well, well done Mrs C.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Have a look here Monty....http://www.andertoncentre.co.uk/our-place/our-location/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess the Anderton Centre is new since my time (never heard of it). Those sails are an eyesore! Glad to see though that Lady Leverhulme's dovecot is still standing (or is it a pigeon tower?).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I guess the Anderton Centre is new since my time (never heard of it). Those sails are an eyesore! Glad to see though that Lady Leverhulme's dovecot is still standing (or is it a pigeon tower?).
It's called the Pigeon Tower as far as I know Monty. Looks good from outside but it's apparently been boarded up and is in bad shape inside. Tales of ghosts and such appear from time to time. I did see a video that looked out through an upstairs window and the view is sensational. I read recently that The Japanese Garden has just been awarded a decent sum of money for a makeover.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:02 pm

clapton is god wrote:

I'm just delighted to hear that mate. Any chance of a few pics of her work? ( if she agree of course) I'd love to see some.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
clapton is god wrote:

I'm just delighted to hear that mate. Any chance of a few pics of her work? ( if she agree of course) I'd love to see some.
I'll see what I can do.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 pm

This is a portrait of a model Mrs C and the class had last week. So far she is only on her second visit. I'll put some paintings up when time permits:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Cheers mate, and tell her well done.