Nelson Mandela RIP

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Nelson Mandela RIP

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Almost all of them (I have now thought of exceptions) were boorish and unpleasant people and I was genuinely interested to hear how other people's experiences differ from or accord with mine.

Were you in Alderley Edge Mummy?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Almost all of them (I have now thought of exceptions) were boorish and unpleasant people and I was genuinely interested to hear how other people's experiences differ from or accord with mine.

I worked there for 2 years and it's a different planet.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:38 am

I remember it getting some bad press a while back and Stuart Hall coming on tV to defend it on the basis of the charitable contributions made by people who live there. He probably said the same about his mate J.Savile.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:23 am

Il Pirate wrote:Almost all of them (I have now thought of exceptions) were boorish and unpleasant people and I was genuinely interested to hear how other people's experiences differ from or accord with mine.

No - and I don't remember knowing South Africans growing up near Chester. My experiences have been since moving away.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:55 am

LeverEnd wrote:I remember it getting some bad press a while back and Stuart Hall coming on tV to defend it on the basis of the charitable contributions made by people who live there. He probably said the same about his mate J.Savile.
Interesting place, The Edge (the area, not the village). I might just read The Weirdstone of Brisingamen again after being reminded about it.

Years ago I used to do security visits on several properties in the village. It absolutely reeked of money everywhere. Lovely area though.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I remember it getting some bad press a while back and Stuart Hall coming on tV to defend it on the basis of the charitable contributions made by people who live there. He probably said the same about his mate J.Savile.
Interesting place, The Edge (the area, not the village). I might just read The Weirdstone of Brisingamen again after being reminded about it.

Years ago I used to do security visits on several properties in the village. It absolutely reeked of money everywhere. Lovely area though.
Brilliant book, one of the finest I read as a child, and I got through a lot. Genuine magical air about it, a bit like Masefield's Box of Delights, which i also loved.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:54 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Brilliant book, one of the finest I read as a child, and I got through a lot. Genuine magical air about it, a bit like Masefield's Box of Delights, which i also loved.
Posted this on the Reading thread as it was a bit innapropriate here.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Fair enough, didn't even realise what thread I was on! Just responded to the post.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Fair enough, didn't even realise what thread I was on! Just responded to the post.
No worry, I did the same. :wink: