Nelson Mandela RIP

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Nelson Mandela RIP

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Breaking News....Nelson passes away
The Voice Of Reason

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Nelson Mandela RIP

Post by malcd1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Sad news but been expecting this for months.

I don't admire many people in the world but he was one.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 pm

One of the few world leaders I actually met. I was very impressed by him, mostly because he drove organizers and protocol types mad by not moving fast enough. They had an 'alley' of children for him to walk down to the rostrum. He stopped and talked to a lot of them throwing the schedule off and keeping later appointments at the House of Commons waiting. He seemed to think it was more important to talk to kids than politicians. :oyea:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 pm

RIP: In this day and age with such divisive politics, it is good to remember someone who worked to attain peace and compromise in his country under conditions that not only would have been understandable but almost justifiable for him to do the opposite. Most of us can learn something from this man for those qualities alone.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:55 pm

He's also a rarity in that he was an inspirational freedom fighter who turned out to be an inclusive political leader. He could easily and understandably have given in to revenge and bitterness.
I doubt I'll ever see anyone even close to his equal in world politics in my lifetime.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:04 am

LeverEnd wrote:He's also a rarity in that he was an inspirational freedom fighter who turned out to be an inclusive political leader. He could easily and understandably have given in to revenge and bitterness.
I doubt I'll ever see anyone even close to his equal in world politics in my lifetime.
I so agree with this.

I've been fighting back tears.

And losing.

Something truly great has passed.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 am

...and he inspired Special AKA to write Free Nelson Mandela. Just saying.

RIP
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:06 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:...and he inspired Special AKA to write Free Nelson Mandela. Just saying.

RIP
Did he get off with that scot free? :shock:

Seriously though, I'd never really knew of him until that song came out (aged 16) I doubt that, when writing it, The Specials could ever have foretold the awareness that it would go on to create amongst a generation.

A truly inspiring man.

RIP
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:07 am

Nelson Mandela?? wasn't he the guy who set up all those Student Union Bars in the 1980s - and then built loads of Council House blocks in London?

seriously - as said above - the refusal to give in to revenge/bitterness - and the desire for reconciliation - those things mark his life as particularly special today... alongside that, the political pygmies that have served our democracy over the course of his life stand out in sharp relief..

the tone of the news today seems to adopt the airbrushed and accepted view that to us good folks in the UK - he was always the goodie and apartheid was always obviously bad... that's not my memory of the time - in fact, remembering those demos for his release in London that I sporadically attended - it seemed that the dominant view was that he was a terrorist and should rot in jail and that apartheid wasn't great - but was certainly necessary and in our interests to prop up...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:08 am

Respect him for what he achieved after prison, but not for what went before.

RIP.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:32 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Respect him for what he achieved after prison, but not for what went before.

RIP.
What does that mean?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 am

Theres a new film due out staring Idris Elba as Mandela.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 am

William the White wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Respect him for what he achieved after prison, but not for what went before.

RIP.
What does that mean?
He was head of UmKhonto we Sizwe. Responsible for many terrible acts of violence where innocent people were killed. The ends don't always justify the means. I can respect that he came out of prison and peacefully forced through change for good. I can't respect the killing of innocent people.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 am

thebish wrote: it seemed that the dominant view was that he was a terrorist and should rot in jail and that apartheid wasn't great - but was certainly necessary and in our interests to prop up...
I've read elsewhere that that was pretty much DC's take on it (and worse) at the time. How true that is I don't know, though it wouldn't surprise me.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote: it seemed that the dominant view was that he was a terrorist and should rot in jail and that apartheid wasn't great - but was certainly necessary and in our interests to prop up...
I've read elsewhere that that was pretty much DC's take on it (and worse) at the time. How true that is I don't know, though it wouldn't surprise me.
I don't think DC is top of the list of those most vocal... he DID go on a trip to SA sponsored by an anti-sanctions lobbying firm - but how much you read into that is subjective...

there was a lot of hysteria recently about a poster (which DID exist) - produced by the Federation of Conservative Students which said "Hang Nelson Mandela and all ANC terrorists - they are Butchers" - and claims that Cameron was a leading member at the time..

but there is little evidence that he was - and most people who knew him back then say that DC wasn't politically active as a student - i'm not sure he's ever really been a politico or that interested in politics - he was always a marketing man... it's all really about image for him - not politics... (unlike others - Gove and Osborne - who are died-in-the-wool idealogues... I don't think Cameron ever was...)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

A great man - my generations Gandhi -and the kind of person/leader/politician that I'm unlikely to see again in my lifetime.

He was 95, so no great surprise but already the TV tributes are starting to veer towards the bizarre. World leaders take on him is fair enough, but Sky Sports this morning was occupied with the illuminating thoughts of Robin Van Persie et al on his death. Local news had tracked down Steven Pienaar, presumably the 1st South African in the North West that sprang to mind.

I left the house hearing the tributes of Bono and assorted 'pop stars'. If I come home tonight to hear Dean Gaffney's and H from Steps thoughts on the matter, I'll put my foot through the bloody screen!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:but Sky Sports this morning was occupied with the illuminating thoughts of Robin Van Persie et al on his death. Local news had tracked down Steven Pienaar, presumably the 1st South African in the North West that sprang to mind.

I left the house hearing the tributes of Bono and assorted 'pop stars'. If I come home tonight to hear Dean Gaffney's and H from Steps thoughts on the matter, I'll put my foot through the bloody screen!
Had to nip out earlier. Flicking through the radio stations and at least 5 Live had managed to track down Quinton Fortune. Talk Shite on the other hand had lined up Denise Lewis, Dion Dublin, John Barnes and a couple of others by dint of them being black and that alone.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Also, how many Nelson Mandela's are out there for the BBC to pinpoint him with the headline South Africa's Nelson Mandela Dies. Thank God you told me that Beeb, for a minute there I thought it might have been Argentina's Nelson Mandela we were on about.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 pm

This is a sobering image of the inequality in SA. What a country.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... ly-chart-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Remarkable for the fact that he took on an un-bitter, no-revenge stance on his release from prison. Seemingly a very gentle and positive person who allowed SA to plough a generally peaceful course as it changed its destiny.

I fear for it in the next few years and do feel it could easily become another Zimbabwe. hopefully not and his legacy will progress.

Prior to his incarceration he was involved in terrorism and all that involved, which ... whatever his justifications ... I am uncomfortable with. His personal life was pretty stunning and clearly "he had an eye for the ladies" barely covers the matter. His later personality ensured that this never gained particular media attention ... quite refreshingly.

Like Bruce remarks, I'm a bit worried about the next few days of B, C, D and E list 'celebs' all being wheeled out, but her ... welcome to the C21st !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".