What will you do in 2014 to help children beat cancer?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KidsCan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by KidsCan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I represent Kidscan, the children’s cancer research charity based in Salford.
We’re a growing charity, and that’s really thanks to our amazing supporters who take part in all kinds of events for us every year! We don’t receive government grants for our research, so whatever supporters are able to raise by taking part in events really is vital.

Rather than making several threads for events which we would love you to take part in, I thought it would be better if I combined them into one! If you have any questions about any of them, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

15th February
Shark Dive for Kidscan!
Are you brave enough to get into a Shark Tank with no cage to help children beat cancer?!
Places are FREE! Sign up here - http://tinyurl.com/KidscanSharkDives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18th May
The Bupa Great Manchester Run
The biggest 10km run in the UK! Will you join Kidscan’s Purple Posse and take to the streets to raise vital funds for our childhood cancer research? We don’t charge people to take part, so please sign up today! http://tinyurl.com/Kidscan-GMR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15th June
The Manchester to Chester Bike Ride!
Setting of from famous Platt Fields Park in Manchester, the route will wind its way through the Cheshire countryside to Christleton Hall on the outskirts of Chester.

Riders can choose whether to take part in the one way - 53 mile route or push themselves and try out the heroic hundred miles loop!
To sign up, please visit the Bike Events website - http://tinyurl.com/Manc2Chester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are asking people to raise £50 or over each. Everyone who commits to raising this will be sent a Kidscan t-shirt to take part in! If you would like any more information please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

13th – 15th June
The Great North Swim
If you’ve got what it takes to swim 1 mile across Lake Windermere this is the challenge for you!

If you are interested in all or any of these events, please drop me a message on here, e-mail [email protected] or give us a call on 0161 295 3864

Thank you very much for your time.
Hope to see you at one of our events this year!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What will you do in 2014 to help children beat cancer?

Post by Athers » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Oh no, not this shark dive thing again!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:54 pm

The one where 2 3rds or similar goes to the shark people and not the charity? That bit should be in large print, never mind the small print.

KidsCan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by KidsCan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 pm

As with all events, be they shark dive, run, zip slide or abseil, we don't get anything for free I'm afraid.
Organisers need to cover their running costs just as much as we do.

If you would like to take part in any of the events that would be great.
Hopefully the lowered sponsorship targe for the Manchester Run will get some of you interested!

We don't charge you to take part, saving you over £50 and we're only asking you to raise £150! That's half of what some charities are asking, and it's only a 10km run!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

you do charge people to take part - you charge £150 - if they don't give you that - they can't take part.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Just looked at your website, there is no mention of staff or chief executive. Can you provide a link or information as to who they are?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:27 pm

You've asked a question, to which my answer is : Nothing, not a thing, feck all.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I will find a better charity than Kidscan which wont give all its money to its partners.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Personally, I'd give my money to an aquarium and hope that they give a small portion of it a charity.

Philanthropist, me.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KidsCan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by KidsCan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:08 am

jaffka wrote:Just looked at your website, there is no mention of staff or chief executive. Can you provide a link or information as to who they are?
Certainly.

We're a charity which has 4 members of staff and we were established in 2002.
If you would like further information on the structure etc, please feel free to find us on the charity commission's website.

thebish wrote:you do charge people to take part - you charge £150 - if they don't give you that - they can't take part.
That's not the case thebish.
The sponsorship target is £150. They can take part, but they agree to raise £150.

As it happens, Kidscan has been selected to benefit from Nationwide Building Society's Community Match Scheme.
If you live in Bolton, Walkden, Chorley, Ormskirk or Salford, please head to your local Nationwide Branch and vote for Kidscan.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 pm

So if they only raise £50... They have to give you the other £100 themselves, or not do it at all, but still give you the £50 they initially raised?

That about it?

KidsCan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by KidsCan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:So if they only raise £50... They have to give you the other £100 themselves, or not do it at all, but still give you the £50 they initially raised?

That about it?
No one is stopped from doing an event - not sure where that's come into it. We would like loads of people to take part and have a good time in whatever event they take part in.

For the Great Manchester Run, when people agree to take part, they commit to raising £150.
They agree to honor the sponsorship pledge - the full amount - when they take part.
The reason we don't charge people to take part, is so they are inspired to do some fundraising and enjoy the event, rather than have to pay to take part and then fundraise.

That's about it really.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm

It's just the "committing" to it bit that doesn't sit well with me... If I wanted to do the run. But only raised £50, yet couldn't afford the other £100 due to circumstances, what would happen?

KidsCan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by KidsCan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:It's just the "committing" to it bit that doesn't sit well with me... If I wanted to do the run. But only raised £50, yet couldn't afford the other £100 due to circumstances, what would happen?
We would help them however we could to raise the final £100.
We can provide fundraising materials and ideas to help them maybe organise a community event at their local pub or maybe something at work like a raffle etc.

There's all kinds of things people can do and we're more than happy to help them do it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm

I feel there's some carefully worded "avoiding of the question" going on here. So after all the help and assistance, if they still only have £50 what happens?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I feel there's some carefully worded "avoiding of the question" going on here. So after all the help and assistance, if they still only have £50 what happens?

They get FED to the sharks.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I feel there's some carefully worded "avoiding of the question" going on here. So after all the help and assistance, if they still only have £50 what happens?

They get FED to the sharks.
Is it Ryanair doing the parachute jumps? You wouldn't want to come up short with them as you just know the parachute would be an optional extra at great cost :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 pm

No worries there, the plane wouldn't be off the ground, as that'd be an unstipulated extra too.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

KidsCan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by KidsCan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 am

Everyone who we've had to give a bit of extra help to has managed to raise it so there's no worries there.

If you're not interested in supporting the charity, that's absolutely fine, but could I remind you that I only came on here to offer people the opportunity to take part in some great events to help raise funds for research into cures and treatments for children's cancers.

This research is not funded by the government, the NHS, children in need, comic relief or the national lottery.
We offer places in these events to try and raise as much money as possible for the research.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:57 am

KidsCan wrote:
Everyone who we've had to give a bit of extra help to has managed to raise it so there's no worries there.

If you're not interested in supporting the charity, that's absolutely fine, but could I remind you that I only came on here to offer people the opportunity to take part in some great events to help raise funds for research into cures and treatments for children's cancers.

This research is not funded by the government, the NHS, children in need, comic relief or the national lottery.
We offer places in these events to try and raise as much money as possible for the research.
I respect that and actually admire what you do, but I do think that collectively we need to think of a better way of raising money for good causes than paying the majority of money raised to commercial providers of 'look at me' experiences.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families