The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:59 pm

thebish wrote:I have moved house to where it's flatter (next door to Exeter Airport)

So I got my bicycle out and I cycled 20 miles today! "20 Miles?" I hear you exclaim incredulously.. "20???"

yes. 20! :D

Well done. :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Just done a minor 5k on the bike. Notable for two things.

1) It was my first exercise where I've left the smokes at home. Not that I ever actually use 'em when I'm out. And
2) Even at 5K, I could see the end of the world (although that coulda been the Wigan border)

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 am

How did it go AG? Hope you made it round safely without too much hold up or delay.
Can't fault my day - Only a couple minutes off my 5hr target despite barely using my bike in the last few weeks before the event (blame weddings, honeymoons, nightshifts......)
Luckily I had an early start time (0630) so managed to fly round without too much hassle and avoid any walkers or bottlenecks in the hills. I was surprised just how many people were roadside cheering and supporting despite how early I was. Riding closed roads with huge crowds really does give you quite a buzz.
All the incident seemed to happen after I had gone through - multiple serious crashes closing roads, people standing around for hours waiting for them to reopen only for them to not be able to complete the hundred miles within the time cut. Obviously want to wish the people who were injured a full recovery, and condolences to the family members of the gentleman who lost his life.
Let us know how it went AG - hope you had a great time!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Decided to try to get fit again after a couple of dodgy years, bought an exercise bike, trying it out did a mile in five mins, is that good? Should I try to beat that or go longer? setting is moderate resistance nearly lost my legs on light :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Just looking at the chaps who did the 100 mile thing, think they're going at 16-20 mph as an average over a long distance but they're a bit younger than you. :-) I occasionally hop on the bike a do 30 mins...usually cover around 6-8 miles. So your about the same as an old knackered fat git. circa 12-16 mph... :-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Just looking at the chaps who did the 100 mile thing, think they're going at 16-20 mph as an average over a long distance but they're a bit younger than you. :-) I occasionally hop on the bike a do 30 mins...usually cover around 6-8 miles. So your about the same as an old knackered fat git. circa 12-16 mph... :-)
Aye. 1 mile in 5 minutes is 12mph

On the Ironman I averaged 16mph

Them soft arses on the ride 100 had it easy. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:23 pm

I did 13 miles today and averaged just over 10MPH.. (some of it was uphill... errr.....)

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:12 am

I think there were 70odd on Sunday who dipped under 4hrs for the ride. That's seriously impressive.
I managed 5hrs which was my target, could possibly squeeze to a 4hr30 with more training (probably about the limit for a well trained person of moderate natural ability).
Average speeds don't mean too much anyway. Ride London fairly flat (1200m climbing) crazy quick course on closed roads where you don't have to put a foot down and can ride in a group keeping out of the wind. No way I'd be averaging 20mph plus on an average ride.
Advice to anyone is to not get hung up on speed - just get out an enjoy riding!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 pm

3.5 miles in 15mins today, well chuffed :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:59 am

I'm not sure how easy it is to match an exercise bike time to riding on the road - with an exercise bike there's no cars forcing you off the lane into the hedge - no hills, no cows in the road, no junctions or traffic lights... having said that, on an exercise bike there is no sheer joy of coasting down a big hill and... on the other hand, you can't watch telly out on the road! :D

this morning I did 6.6 miles at 11.6 MPH - and it felt just about as fast as I could reasonably do it without risking cardiac arrest! :D
Last edited by thebish on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:02 am

thebish wrote:I'm not sure how easy it is to match an exercise bike time to riding on the road - with an exercise bike there's no cars forcing you off the lane into the hedge - no hills, no cows in the road, no junctions or traffic lights... having said that, on an exercise bike there is no sheer joy of coasting down a big hill and you can't watch telly out on the road! :D

this morning I did 6.6 miles at 11.6 MPH - and it felt just about as fast as I could reasonably do it without risking cardiac arrest! :D
In Hobes case, I might be able to help in on at least one of those things... :-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:I'm not sure how easy it is to match an exercise bike time to riding on the road - with an exercise bike there's no cars forcing you off the lane into the hedge - no hills, no cows in the road, no junctions or traffic lights... having said that, on an exercise bike there is no sheer joy of coasting down a big hill and you can't watch telly out on the road! :D

In Hobes case, I might be able to help in on at least one of those things... :-)
You own a cow!? :shock:

Serious respect to anyone cycling on the roads. I can't stand the turbo either but it's a safer bet.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:27 am

thebish wrote:I'm not sure how easy it is to match an exercise bike time to riding on the road
You'll find it much more sedentary, I'm sure. :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:03 am

^ stalker! :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:06 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

You own a cow!? :shock:

Serious respect to anyone cycling on the roads. I can't stand the turbo either but it's a safer bet.
Naww, he drives a BMW and we all know about their driving habits :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:I'm not sure how easy it is to match an exercise bike time to riding on the road
You'll find it much more sedentary, I'm sure. :)

Is that Hoboh. I've seen the bish and it's not him.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:30 am

3.5 mile in 15 today, going good :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

just graduated to those clip-in pedals with new pedals and new cycling shoes...

I went out just now for my first ride in them... leant up against a fence for a while snapping my shoe in and out a few times - then got bored and decided to go for it!

took a bit of getting used to clipping back in on-the-go - but I got round without falling off! :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:27 pm

thebish wrote:just graduated to those clip-in pedals with new pedals and new cycling shoes...

I went out just now for my first ride in them... leant up against a fence for a while snapping my shoe in and out a few times - then got bored and decided to go for it!

took a bit of getting used to clipping back in on-the-go - but I got round without falling off! :D

Your pedalling will be much more efficient now. Just rember to clip out BEFORE you stop at red lights.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:just graduated to those clip-in pedals with new pedals and new cycling shoes...

Your pedalling will be much more efficient now. Just rember to clip out BEFORE you stop at red lights.
:D