The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Dujon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:20 am

Lovely, BP, lovely. :mrgreen:

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:13 am

Long time ago I bought a bike and thought I'd test it out on a good ride so chose London to Brighton. Took me four days, got to Brighton in a crippled state, sold the bike and came back on the train. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Finally got around to riding up the Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen today. Only a short 10 mile blast to the top and back, but one of extremes.

5 miles and 1400ft of lung busting climbing to the top. Took about 35 mins and averaged just over 10 mph.

5 miles and 1400ft of absolute pleasure coming down. Took 12 mins and averaged 27mph. :)

Worth it for the view from the top, and the unadulterated pleasure of the descent.

Hope is what keeps us going.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Gravedigger wrote:Long time ago I bought a bike and thought I'd test it out on a good ride so chose London to Brighton. Took me four days, got to Brighton in a crippled state, sold the bike and came back on the train. 8)
London to Brighton bike ride came through our village today, couldn't drive anywhere for cyclists!

It took my friends husband 3 and a half hours to do it Gravedigger, did your bike have any gears? Or wheels even?!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 am

A per pro of absolutely nothing I have decided to post this here for our male cyclists.

Call it a public service. :oops:

http://www.johnpolson.com.au/2011/11/05 ... ould-read/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm

My 16 year old lad's just fitted tri bars to his road bike. I struggled to keep up with him before, but his 6'3" frame meant I got quite a good tow when slipstreaming him and could almost keep up with him.

That's all changed.

When he drops onto his tri bars, not only does he go about 2mph faster for the same effort, but the reduction in tow I get is incredible and he simply pulls away at a rate of knots.

Consequently, I've now got some on order 8)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Always hopeful wrote:My 16 year old lad's just fitted tri bars to his road bike. I struggled to keep up with him before, but his 6'3" frame meant I got quite a good tow when slipstreaming him and could almost keep up with him.

That's all changed.

When he drops onto his tri bars, not only does he go about 2mph faster for the same effort, but the reduction in tow I get is incredible and he simply pulls away at a rate of knots.

Is this the one who uses his bike as a murder weapon ? Is this a good idea ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:My 16 year old lad's just fitted tri bars to his road bike. I struggled to keep up with him before, but his 6'3" frame meant I got quite a good tow when slipstreaming him and could almost keep up with him.

That's all changed.

Yep. A couple of tubes poking out from the handlebars makes for a far more effective weapon.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

That's all changed.

Yep. A couple of tubes poking out from the handlebars makes for a far more effective weapon.
mmmm Well, call me when it goes tits up. I'll fetch my camera.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:20 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

That's all changed.

mmmm Well, call me when it goes tits up. I'll fetch my camera.
Deal. You can give us a lift home.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 am

That's all changed.

Just get in a good tuck?! It's better for road riding.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 am

Andy Waller wrote:

That's all changed.

I've tried, but I can't sustain it for very long as I find it uncomfortable. I used tri bars about 20 years ago and found them quite good. At only £30, I'm happy to give them another go and sell them on if I don't like them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 am

I've inherited a mountain bike which currently gathers dust in my garage. I have this notion to clean it up and have a blast on it around the pastures of Bradshaw. Problem is - I've no idea how the gears work. There appears to be three different levers. We only had gears one to five when I was a boy. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 am

Always hopeful wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

That's all changed.

I've tried, but I can't sustain it for very long as I find it uncomfortable. I used tri bars about 20 years ago and found them quite good. At only £30, I'm happy to give them another go and sell them on if I don't like them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIATHLON-TRI ... 2ed49a75d0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How about something like this?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 am

clip-on pedals and shoes. Worth the investment?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 am

KeyserSoze wrote:clip-on pedals and shoes. Worth the investment?

Having recently converted I would say yes.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Picked up my new ride yesterday.

It's a composite of a new frame, wheels and shifters with the rest cannibalised from my old bike.

Here it is:

Attachments
New Ride.jpg
New Ride.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 3097 times

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

That's all changed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIATHLON-TRI ... 2ed49a75d0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How about something like this?
Well, I read this review

http://www.triradar.com/gear/best-clip- ... rs-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and subsequently bought these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk9741-2- ... -and-pads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Absolutely, 100% yes.

The biggest difference I noticed was with the shoes having a stiff sole, the power transfer through them is so much better than a soft sole.

Also, make sure you set them quite loose to start off with and practice getting in and out of them before you 'go public'. The first time I tried mine, I fell off at the first T-junction I came to. :oops:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Absolutely, 100% yes.

The biggest difference I noticed was with the shoes having a stiff sole, the power transfer through them is so much better than a soft sole.

Also, make sure you set them quite loose to start off with and practice getting in and out of them before you 'go public'. The first time I tried mine, I fell off at the first T-junction I came to. :oops:

Hasn't happened to me (yet) but I've been told when it does, and there are witnesses, you must stand and take a bow before proceeding. :grin: