The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:clip-on pedals and shoes. Worth the investment?

Having recently converted I would say yes.
Absolutely, 100% yes.

The biggest difference I noticed was with the shoes having a stiff sole, the power transfer through them is so much better than a soft sole.

Also, make sure you set them quite loose to start off with and practice getting in and out of them before you 'go public'. The first time I tried mine, I fell off at the first T-junction I came to. :oops:

Hasn't happened to me (yet) but I've been told when it does, and there are witnesses, you must stand and take a bow before proceeding. :grin:

As long as you clip out on the approach, you'll be fine!
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Cheers guys. Going to do a big one enxt month so may well invest very soon.

In other news, did a 20 minute time trial on one of those new-fangled wattbikes in the gym. Christ, i'm still dizzy!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:clip-on pedals and shoes. Worth the investment?

Having recently converted I would say yes.
Absolutely, 100% yes.

The biggest difference I noticed was with the shoes having a stiff sole, the power transfer through them is so much better than a soft sole.

Also, make sure you set them quite loose to start off with and practice getting in and out of them before you 'go public'. The first time I tried mine, I fell off at the first T-junction I came to. :oops:

Hasn't happened to me (yet) but I've been told when it does, and there are witnesses, you must stand and take a bow before proceeding. :grin:

As long as you clip out on the approach, you'll be fine!
do you always fall off if you have to make an emergency stop??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Always hopeful wrote:The first time I tried mine, I fell off at the first T-junction I came to. :oops:
The first time that I ever had a ride was in a field, but I fell off and scratched my helmet on a thistle.

Saunders: Finbarr

8)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Cheers guys. Going to do a big one enxt month so may well invest very soon.

In other news, did a 20 minute time trial on one of those new-fangled wattbikes in the gym. Christ, i'm still dizzy!

take some advice on correct fitting of the cleats Keyser, 'cos you don't want to knack yer knees up. 'Tis very easily done. Lots of advice on the usual bike sites and if you can afford it, a proper bike fitting can save you lots of potential future probs/injuries.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Not road cycling as such, but a bike query all the same.

I have a very under used mountain bike, of which, the last time out I twatted the back wheel on a pot hole. Now if I roll the bike, or spin the pedals its fine. However, when I try to ride it and apply pressure to the pedals, the back wheel moves to the left and catches on the frame. I've centred the wheel and tightened the nuts on it, but it still moves no matter what. The nut on the derailleur side doesn't tighten 100% and feels relatively loose in comparison to the one on the other side. Is this normal, or is this the likely source of the problem? I've tried a couple of local shops and Halfords, none of which can look at it for over a week.

Any suggestions/solutions would be very gratefully accepted!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Not road cycling as such, but a bike query all the same.

I have a very under used mountain bike, of which, the last time out I twatted the back wheel on a pot hole. Now if I roll the bike, or spin the pedals its fine. However, when I try to ride it and apply pressure to the pedals, the back wheel moves to the left and catches on the frame. I've centred the wheel and tightened the nuts on it, but it still moves no matter what. The nut on the derailleur side doesn't tighten 100% and feels relatively loose in comparison to the one on the other side. Is this normal, or is this the likely source of the problem? I've tried a couple of local shops and Halfords, none of which can look at it for over a week.

Could be a number of things, but a new wheel spindle sounds in order. As it's used, you might as well get the bearings changed at the same time. Not costly to do, unless you're in fancy bike territory. Indy bike shops are generally best for repairs. Halfords is luck of the draw if they know what they're doing!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Could be a number of things, but a new wheel spindle sounds in order. As it's used, you might as well get the bearings changed at the same time. Not costly to do, unless you're in fancy bike territory. Indy bike shops are generally best for repairs. Halfords is luck of the draw if they know what they're doing!
Cheers AT. I was hoping that it was something I could do myself, but as I have a totally non-mechanical brain, i'll take it in. Just gonna have to wait a week or two for it.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Cheers AT. I was hoping that it was something I could do myself, but as I have a totally non-mechanical brain, i'll take it in. Just gonna have to wait a week or two for it.
It's a doddle to do if you have the right tools, which you probably do. You'll find videos on YouTube and whatever you might need tool wise you'd be paying out to a shop anyway.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Here you go...

From the depths of memory, you'll need 14/15mm spanners. 2 of them helps. Double check the size though as it's the best part of 20 years since I fiddled with bikes!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Here you go...

From the depths of memory, you'll need 14/15mm spanners. 2 of them helps. Double check the size though as it's the best part of 20 years since I fiddled with bikes!
Cheers. I have a couple of bike spanners. Maybe I can do it myself. I'll give it a whirl.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Good luck :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Further to the cleats/ non-cleats issue I took 6 and half minutes off my bike section at London Tri yesterday. Unfortunately I was six minutes slower on my run. :0(

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Where abouts was the course for that gte?

Managed london to Brighton today on the ol bike. Which c*nt put that fecking hill just before you get to Brighton?!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Further to the cleats/ non-cleats issue I took 6 and half minutes off my bike section at London Tri yesterday. Unfortunately I was six minutes slower on my run. :0(

Never run in cleats Gary.........................................

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:41 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Where abouts was the course for that gte?

Managed london to Brighton today on the ol bike. Which c*nt put that fecking hill just before you get to Brighton?!

It was London Triathlon. The ride was a.4 lap course around the Excel Centre. Didn't realise it was London to Brighton today. It's on the list. I presume you mean the Devil's Punchbowl?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Further to the cleats/ non-cleats issue I took 6 and half minutes off my bike section at London Tri yesterday. Unfortunately I was six minutes slower on my run. :0(

Never run in cleats Gary.........................................
Dammit
. Knew it felt wrong.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:22 am

Have you checked the spoke tension? You might have snapped one or two.

It's more likely than collapsing the bearing.

Easiest way is to "twang" the spokes and see if they're all making the same note!
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:

It was London Triathlon. The ride was a.4 lap course around the Excel Centre. Didn't realise it was London to Brighton today. It's on the list. I presume you mean the Devil's Punchbowl?
Didn't know the LT was on this weekend!

It wasn't, we just went down there as a training ride.

I do not! At least I think so, I mean Ditchling Beacon. It's basically all rolling hills once you get out of london, then you do a big one around Devil's Dyke (lol), start descending, go past a 'welcome to brighton & hove' sign'...and then stare up what essentially is a ramp.

Views from the top are awesome, though.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Didn't know the LT was on this weekend!

It wasn't, we just went down there as a training ride.

I do not! At least I think so, I mean Ditchling Beacon. It's basically all rolling hills once you get out of london, then you do a big one around Devil's Dyke (lol), start descending, go past a 'welcome to brighton & hove' sign'...and then stare up what essentially is a ramp.

Views from the top are awesome, though.

Ah, I was talking about the climb up before Hindhead.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 7243,d.d2k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually ignore that. That's the A3 I'm referring to not the A27.

As you were. :mrgreen: