The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm

^^ just Googled above....just a little out of my range at the moment.....would need to build up to that one.......

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:^^ just Googled above....just a little out of my range at the moment.....would need to build up to that one.......

Ha ha! Probably a wise move AG, if you're a little short on fitness. However, it's a great ride and a good way of getting some quality miles in to build up your endurance base. I remember in (about :conf: ) Feb 1978/79, doing it on 68" fixed, with soon to be world champ Mandy Jones, her dad Barry & and old club stalwart Alf Taylor, I think his son Richard still organises the run today. It snowed like hell, & the four of us ( + others ); fought like hell to get around in the snow. Back then it was THE LAW to ride fixed throughout winter, with a saddle bag & large 'Pifco' lights. The batteries alone weighed more than your bike!

Good luck with your training though & wish you all the best for the season

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

May have to give it a try next year.

Cheers Pirate.....

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:I realise this is probably only going to be posted in by me, but feck it.

Anyway, I've entered this....http://www.epicevents.co.uk/cycle-sport ... -2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going to enter this http://www.greatcycle.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well....

Hitting the turbo trainer at the moment, need to get a bit of fitness back after the Christmas period before hitting the roads again..
Would be up for some sportives if you fancied. Trying to line my calendar up for the year. Got a new bike just before Christmas and can't wait to get out on it properly.
Yeah, would be good....

I'd be up for the 30 miler, i did a few sportives last year on my own and the 60+ milers just got a bit boring!
You up for the Bolton Bash then?

Yeah, i go around that area when I'm up anyway.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am

Bought a trek domane. Not the most exciting but it's so plush and comfortable.

As I say, would be up for any sportives throughout the year. Just a case of whether I'm free that weekend.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 am

jimbo wrote:Bought a trek domane. Not the most exciting but it's so plush and comfortable.

As I say, would be up for any sportives throughout the year. Just a case of whether I'm free that weekend.

that's all you need Jimbo. There's so much snobbery with bikes. If you're doing 4+ hours on the thing, you need to be comfy!

I've just built mine up over time and really enjoyed doing it.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:25 pm

It's still beautiful. Full carbon, ultegra fears and brakes, with top notch bontrager wheels. Just a slightly more comfortable position than others and designed for smashing it on the cobbles of Flanders/roubaix

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 pm

jimbo wrote:It's still beautiful. Full carbon, ultegra fears and brakes, with top notch bontrager wheels. Just a slightly more comfortable position than others and designed for smashing it on the cobbles of Flanders/roubaix

Nobody got laid riding Shimano..............................As the old cycling quote goes....

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 am

As the cycling season is about to get up a head of steam, is there anyone thinking of going anywhere interesting on their bike this year??

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:36 am

Andy Waller wrote:As the cycling season is about to get up a head of steam, is there anyone thinking of going anywhere interesting on their bike this year??

Went out yesterday in a small group (6 of us) learning about group riding, pairing up, overtaking etc.

Massive fun and 32 miles flew by. I'm preparing for two Olympic tri's, one in Rutland Water in June and one at the Albert Dock in London early August. The I have a half Ironman in Budapest towards the end of August.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Andy Waller wrote:As the cycling season is about to get up a head of steam, is there anyone thinking of going anywhere interesting on their bike this year??
Going on a cycling holiday to Vietnam in September :D

Think I'll have to up my training from 1 spin session a week though!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm

im off to Morzine with my bike again in July for lift assisted downhilling! wont be riding no roads tho.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 am

I did a great ride from Lake Bala to Lake Vrnwy last weekend, I'd recommend it to anyone who's keen to do a ride this summer.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Took the plunge today and got myself a bike in preparation for Septembers cycling holiday. Decided on a hybrid because Ijust couldn't see me chucking myself down winter hill on a mountain bike. Opted for comfort and got a Trek 8.2 if that means anything to anyone :conf: .paid £400 - I'm hoping I've not bought a pup - but it felt pretty good on it's first outing this afternoon 8)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

A hybrid? Is that one that pedals itself once you've reached a certain speed? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 31, 2014 8:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:A hybrid? Is that one that pedals itself once you've reached a certain speed? :?
I hope I'm still too young for one of them!

My understanding is it's a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. Chap int shop said it was good for road, tow paths and trails. Would be no good for proper off road stuff

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 31, 2014 8:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:A hybrid? Is that one that pedals itself once you've reached a certain speed? :?
I hope I'm still too young for one of them!

My understanding is it's a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. Chap int shop said it was good for road, tow paths and trails. Would be no good for proper off road stuff
Ah. Actually, that sounds a proper good do. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:10 am

That'd be this one then?

http://cyclecentre.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... ds-hybrid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks good and the review is positive. I seem to remember seeing this before. Anyway apart from that rather phallic seat it looks fine. :smile:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:30 pm

That's it! I actually find the seat quite comfy :oops:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:36 pm