The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Has it got a bell?
Sto ut Serviam

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Its my understanding that all new cycles have to have a bell on when sold, but I didn't actually see one.

I don't have it as yet. Delivered to shop on Deansgate next Tuesday then assembled ready for me to ride home. A bit concerned that my first bike ride for over 40 years will be Deansgate followed by Chester Road but I'll man up.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Went to the finish of stage 1 of the Tour of Britain today. Here's a couple of shots of the run in, with 300m to go...

He's behind you..

Yep, there he is.....

(Edit: Now with photos you can see :oops:)
Hope is what keeps us going.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:59 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Looks OK having spent a couple of hours on the google

For value, the Decathlon ones get good reviews - any reason you avoided them?

I'll get my Trek out a few times and see if I think I'll use a fresh one

Let me know how yours runs?
Just got home and apart from walking a bit like John Wayne have no problems with myself or the bike. In fact I enjoyed that very much! Its 3.6 miles from Deansgate to my house and I managed it in one without pausing for breath, which amazed me somewhat given its many years since I was on a bike.

Its light and responsive and I was up to a good speed with just two pedal revolutions. The gears work well as does everything else. Couldn't be more pleased so far.

And yes, it has a bell.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:23 pm

....and one week after buying the bike and after a few circuits of the park during the week, I have just come back from my first 'proper' ride. Along the Mersey through Chorlton Ees around both Longford Park and Wythenshaw park for 10.6 miles of off-road riding in just 2hrs. Great!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:34 pm

clapton is god wrote:....and one week after buying the bike and after a few circuits of the park during the week, I have just come back from my first 'proper' ride. Along the Mersey through Chorlton Ees around both Longford Park and Wythenshaw park for 10.6 miles of off-road riding in just 2hrs. Great!
cracking stuff!! must get out on mine more.... if only everywhere wasn't a bastarding huge hill around here! :D

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 am

thebish wrote:
clapton is god wrote:....and one week after buying the bike and after a few circuits of the park during the week, I have just come back from my first 'proper' ride. Along the Mersey through Chorlton Ees around both Longford Park and Wythenshaw park for 10.6 miles of off-road riding in just 2hrs. Great!
cracking stuff!! must get out on mine more.... if only everywhere wasn't a bastarding huge hill around here! :D
Following my illness, My wife badgered me into looking at getting an electric, or 'powerbike', to get me out of the house and keep me cycling. As a lifelong cyclist this idea did not sit well at all. After agreeing to take a look at one on the grounds that it didn't resemble anything like an electric bike, I took the plunge. I bought a BH Neo extreme mountain bike with 'pedal assist'. I can honestly say it has been a lifesaver for me, not only for enjoyment of being back on two wheels, but the freedom of mobility it offers me. It goes like stink, can get up any hill, and if you don't want to use the assist settings, then turn 'em off. Powerbikes are the future Bish. Check out the Haibikes or the BH Neo extreme range, you'll never look back or fear a hill again!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
thebish wrote:
Following my illness, My wife badgered me into looking at getting an electric, or 'powerbike', to get me out of the house and keep me cycling. As a lifelong cyclist this idea did not sit well at all. After agreeing to take a look at one on the grounds that it didn't resemble anything like an electric bike, I took the plunge. I bought a BH Neo extreme mountain bike with 'pedal assist'. I can honestly say it has been a lifesaver for me, not only for enjoyment of being back on two wheels, but the freedom of mobility it offers me. It goes like stink, can get up any hill, and if you don't want to use the assist settings, then turn 'em off. Powerbikes are the future Bish. Check out the Haibikes or the BH Neo extreme range, you'll never look back or fear a hill again!
s'funny you should say that - I was looking at one only yesterday and thinking... hmmmmm...... :D

tho - looking at that BH Neo extreme - it costs more than twice what my motorbike cost!! (as do the Haibikes!)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 pm

thebish wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
thebish wrote:
s'funny you should say that - I was looking at one only yesterday and thinking... hmmmmm...... :D

tho - looking at that BH Neo extreme - it costs more than twice what my motorbike cost!! (as do the Haibikes!)
Aye, some are a bit pricey, especially the Haibikes. But I bet if you tried one you'd want one! There are plenty of other models about, Halfords are starting to do quite a large selection these days if you fancied one, and it's always worth checking the local ads etc. People seem to buy in the summer, use a couple of times and get fed up when it rains! No idea why, I absolutely love riding in the rain, always have done, especially when there's a warm shower and tea and crumpets waiting!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Il Pirate wrote: Aye, some are a bit pricey, especially the Haibikes. But I bet if you tried one you'd want one!

oh aye - absolutely no doubt!!!

if it were just up to me... or if I had the emotional blackmail excuse that I was coming back from a life-threatening heart attack! :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:46 pm

there's summat disturbingly satisfying about this...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Running around Rivington this morning I came across what looked like a pretty bad accident involving a cyclist at the bottom of Sheephouse Lane. The poor chap was laying very still but appeared to be getting lots of attention. I tried to do my public service bit by redirecting the traffic at the bottom. Unfortunately, as I shouted to two other cyclists "Sheephouse is closed" one of them took his eye off the road, steered into a ditch and went flying over the handle bars :oops:

Let's be careful out there cyclists
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Running around Rivington this morning I came across what looked like a pretty bad accident involving a cyclist at the bottom of Sheephouse Lane. The poor chap was laying very still but appeared to be getting lots of attention. I tried to do my public service bit by redirecting the traffic at the bottom. Unfortunately, as I shouted to two other cyclists "Sheephouse is closed" one of them took his eye off the road, steered into a ditch and went flying over the handle bars :oops:

Did he not ride through a fence before scattering a load of chickens, hitting a haystack and ending up in a shallow pond? I thought that that was the usual sequence of events here?! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Running around Rivington this morning I came across what looked like a pretty bad accident involving a cyclist at the bottom of Sheephouse Lane. The poor chap was laying very still but appeared to be getting lots of attention. I tried to do my public service bit by redirecting the traffic at the bottom. Unfortunately, as I shouted to two other cyclists "Sheephouse is closed" one of them took his eye off the road, steered into a ditch and went flying over the handle bars :oops:

Did he not ride through a fence before scattering a load of chickens, hitting a haystack and ending up in a shallow pond? I thought that that was the usual sequence of events here?! :?

I know you shouldn't laugh, but.......................... :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:58 pm

summat to aim at for you road-cycling people??

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/the- ... 19978.aspx

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I know you shouldn't laugh, but.......................... :lol:
So 2 cyclists, not a breed made for giving a shite about anyone else ... or even noticing other people at all ... look up whilst moving at speed to see a man dressed as a runner shouting what they hear as "shithouses".

No huge surprise that it didn't end well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:03 pm

12.5 miles along the Bridgewater canal towpath this morning, Stretford out to Altrincham and beyond then return. Absolutely glorious! The stretch between Sale and Altrincham is fabulous.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:45 pm

Signed up to do RideLondon 100 for Anthony Nolan. Need to up the miles over the next few months.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Have done ride London twice. If you need any advice or tips, let me know. Good luck for it - it's a great event and fun weekend in London.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:53 pm

jimbo wrote:Have done ride London twice. If you need any advice or tips, let me know. Good luck for it - it's a great event and fun weekend in London.
Where would be the best place to stay over?