Dogs are wonderful

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Dogs are wonderful

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Someone from a Spaniel club we belong to lost their young pup this week, after he stole a mince pie off the kitchen table. He went into fatal liver failure as a result of the dried fruit. I had no idea, but apparently dried fruit and grapes are incredibly toxic for dogs. Timely reminder given the time of year and festive fare.
After several bollockings from Barbara Woodhouse I actually went on the internet to find out just how much she was exagerating . Crikey, the list of treats and food things dangerous to dogs is huge. Have to take notice of it though.
Chocolate's another one, but I'm guessing most people know that.

Our beagle's almost died on 2 separate occasions after scoffing full boxes of chocolates she'd found soon after arriving at my parents house at Christmas. They don't think to hide them out of harm's reach and by the time we'd said our hellos and noticed she was wasn't within eyeshot, the chocs were gone. Had to get her to the emergency vets for vomiting to be induced. Very stressful for all of us (and vets are very expensive!).

I wasn't aware of the dried fruit issue. Thanks for the warning.
We had a BBQ this summer for the family. As my dad is the worlds greatest lover of Tiramisu, we bought a large one which I left to defrost on the dining table. Our Spaniel pup stole and scoffed the lot. I've never seen a dog's stomach so distended. She was fine once she'd let it out of both ends an hour later, bless her.

I do however, need to start something in the Angry thread about the thinness of dog waste bags and their propensity to allow you to poke an inadvertent finger through them at the worst possible moment. :cry:
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
I do however, need to start something in the Angry thread about the thinness of dog waste bags and their propensity to allow you to poke an inadvertent finger through them at the worst possible moment. :cry:
Start a petition. I'll sign it. No better feeling than being out in the pxssing rain for the dog's walk, he decides to discharge his dinner and the rice-paper thin poo-bag pops at the seems just as...

....."And I say to myself, what a wonderful world....ohhh yeaaahhhh!" ... :evil:

:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Top tip: use nappy sacks! Miles cheaper, more durable and scented!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Sat here with young Charlie whilst we give him a try this weekend. It's brilliant to have a dog in the house again but he's one giddy pup. We've walked him, fed him, played with him and chased him round the lounge whilst he's ran off with various ornaments! ! Loving it :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Puppies are great, entertaining pouches of fun.

Just a shame that they get older and that day gets closer, when you have to visit the canal with a sack and a few house bricks.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:26 pm

you can't really have collies in the family and NOT try this at least once, can you??

Melon-collie:

Collie-flower:

my greyhound doesn't understand why she can't also wear that hat and be the centre of an ace pun!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:15 pm

I just thought I would share my picture of Olive. She's 7 weeks old and my daughter picks her up on Tuesday. This will be in the next up and coming few months my exercise plan by taking her for walks. :)
Attachments
10478081_842492809152036_6403318118643268109_n.jpg
10478081_842492809152036_6403318118643268109_n.jpg (16.28 KiB) Viewed 3108 times

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Aww she's lovely Twilight. She a spaniel?

Bish! Genuine lol on them pics. Your greyhound looks like he could ride pillion with you :lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Aww she's lovely Twilight. She a spaniel?

Bish! Genuine lol on them pics. Your greyhound looks like he could ride pillion with you :lol:
Yes Harry she's a Springer. She is quite the cutest thing, I adore her already!

Bish those picture a great.!! :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:07 pm

twilight wrote:I just thought I would share my picture of Olive. She's 7 weeks old and my daughter picks her up on Tuesday. This will be in the next up and coming few months my exercise plan by taking her for walks. :)
She'll love it, and so will you. It's winter, nothing better than twice a day mooches in the pouring rain, hail ans sleet....oh, and don't forget the snow... :lol:
Seriously, big fun and enforced exercise. I've been doing it for eight years now. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Ha Ha Tango You've almost put me off already :D No seriously am looking forward to going out with her.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Well, after a couple of false starts, we're now the proud owners of a 14 month old English Pointer. He's truly beautiful but daft as a brush. All the things we'd learnt about the 1st 24 hours have gone out of the window. I suspect a few weeks short on sleep :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:23 pm

What do people think of Westies? Moving in with the girlf in Feb and looking for a city dog from about summer. They seem perfect from what I've seen but wondered if anyone had first hand.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:04 am

Melon Collie and the infinite sadness?
thebish wrote:

You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:34 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Melon Collie and the infinite sadness?
:D I think it's the long face!

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Not for the first time I'm not too happy with our Beagle.

Experience shows that she likes the taste of money. Over the years, she's eaten at least £20 worth of notes that our kids have left lying around, much to their frustration. It must be something to do with the various tastes and aromas that build up on them that she finds irrisistable.

She recently snaffled upwards of £100 out of my wallet that I'd foolishly left within her reach. First I knew of it was when I found a few scragg ends of a couple of £20 notes in her basket. After a comprehensive search, I concluded that she must have eaten the rest.

Knowing how robust notes are, and me being a tight wad, I thought there'd be a chance that they might pass through her relatively unharmed, so we collected her 'droppings' for the next few days.

Sure enough, 4 days later, I'd managed to sift out all the missing bits, washed them through, dried them out and pieced them together with sellotape. A quick iron, followed by a light spray with aftershave and Bob's your Uncle! Whilst they weren't fit for circulation, the bank kindly took them back and put the funds into my account!! :D
Hope is what keeps us going.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 pm

^ I begin to understand where you got your moniker!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:03 pm

clapton is god wrote:^ I begin to understand where you got your moniker!
It's not as good a moniker as Mydogshitstenners
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Not for the first time I'm not too happy with our Beagle.

Experience shows that she likes the taste of money. Over the years, she's eaten at least £20 worth of notes that our kids have left lying around, much to their frustration. It must be something to do with the various tastes and aromas that build up on them that she finds irrisistable.

She recently snaffled upwards of £100 out of my wallet that I'd foolishly left within her reach. First I knew of it was when I found a few scragg ends of a couple of £20 notes in her basket. After a comprehensive search, I concluded that she must have eaten the rest.

Knowing how robust notes are, and me being a tight wad, I thought there'd be a chance that they might pass through her relatively unharmed, so we collected her 'droppings' for the next few days.

Sure enough, 4 days later, I'd managed to sift out all the missing bits, washed them through, dried them out and pieced them together with sellotape. A quick iron, followed by a light spray with aftershave and Bob's your Uncle! Whilst they weren't fit for circulation, the bank kindly took them back and put the funds into my account!! :D
That is simply brilliant. I admire your patience and willingness to pass off previously dog shit covered and now perfumed banknotes, as perfectly acceptable legal tender! I would probably have made Mrs BP do it!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:What do people think of Westies? Moving in with the girlf in Feb and looking for a city dog from about summer. They seem perfect from what I've seen but wondered if anyone had first hand.
Not firsthand Pru, but a friend of.mine had one for 16 years. Lovely dog and very sociable. He reckoned some can be highly strung, so it's probably important to find a decent, experienced breeder. I presume you both work full time? If you're going to leave it for 8 hours or longer every day, personally I'd consider two, it could be incredibly stressful for a lone dog.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.