2014 Six Nations - it's upon us!!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

2014 Six Nations - it's upon us!!

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 pm

kinda crept up on me - it's this saturday!!

starting lineup:

Brown (Harlequins, 21 caps); Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped), Burrell (Northampton, uncapped), Twelvetrees (Gloucester, 8 caps), May (Gloucester, 1 cap); Farrell (Saracens, 19 caps), Care (Harlequins, 42 caps); Marler (Harlequins, 15 caps), Hartley (Northampton, 50 caps), Cole (Leicester, 43 caps), Launchbury (Wasps, 14 caps), Lawes (Northampton, 25 caps), Wood (Northampton, 23 caps), Robshaw (Harlequins, capt, 20 caps) B Vunipola (Saracens, 5 caps).

Replacements: T Youngs (Leicester, 12 caps), M Vunipola (Saracens, 10 caps), Thomas (Sale, 2 caps), Attwood (Bath, 5 caps), Morgan (Gloucester, 15 caps), Dickson (Northampton, 12 caps), Barritt (Saracens, 16 caps), Goode (Saracens, 13 caps).

quite an inexperienced back line there - will be interesting to see where the Lancaster revolution is taking us... am looking forward to it with equal measures of excitement and panic!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 2014 Six Nations - it's upon us!!

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:43 pm

SWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Ashton should have been dropped about 5 tests ago.

A tough place to go Paris for your first cap. Should be a good battle between the forwards, I'm looking forward to it.

This year its between Wales and France.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:49 pm

France have added another fly-half to their carousel, I see.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Last year, I reckoned it was Wales and France, but France were wooden spoonists.

I think whether England are in the mix will be dependent on the start against France. If we do ok, we might just be in the shake-up when Wales come calling.

Jocks away will probably be tougher than in recent years though.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Last year, I reckoned it was Wales and France, but France were wooden spoonists.

I think whether England are in the mix will be dependent on the start against France. If we do ok, we might just be in the shake-up when Wales come calling.

Jocks away will probably be tougher than in recent years though.
and when we play at murrayfield you can guarantee that it will be p*ssing it down

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:15 am

History after a lions tour is in favour of a French win.

Last year they were crap, this year who knows. Does anyone ever know how they will do?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:14 am

The Family Zulu have got tickets for the Scotland v England game at Murrayfield next weekend. We're off to stay with our friends in Edinburgh next Friday.Can't wait!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Decent game France v England.....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:48 pm

France have just Wide to West'd it

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:49 pm

France are gonna pinch this....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Can't believe we lost that after such a great fight back. Was that try refusal a dodgy decision? Fifteen to go and I was cock-a-hoop telling Bolton "that's how you fight back", then it all went sour. I'm no knowlegable rugby fan, but why do we persist in trying to drive everything throught the middle when France's tries always seem to come from the wide moves?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 am

A great game despite losing it at the end. Very nearly a fantastic comeback.

The team is still maturing and will hopefully learn from the few mistakes made. Decision making at key times is still found wanting. The team needs to find the killer instinct to win these big matches.

France are one of the big rugby nations and are capable of beating anyone, why they blow hot and cold so often is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

The triple crown can still be won!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 am

France's first two tries came from lucky bounces, and I also reckon that it was a forward pass out wide for the winner.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:France's first two tries came from lucky bounces, and I also reckon that it was a forward pass out wide for the winner.
I thought it was forward live, but the replay it looked alright. Perfect example of why the video refs aren't allowed to judge on forward passes

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:03 pm

I think about 10 a game look forward normally! My eyes can't deal with that camera angle.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:25 pm

jimbo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:France's first two tries came from lucky bounces, and I also reckon that it was a forward pass out wide for the winner.
I thought it was forward live, but the replay it looked alright. Perfect example of why the video refs aren't allowed to judge on forward passes
Didn't see a replay, Jim. I thought that French TV was extremely selective in what it replayed.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:41 pm

jimbo wrote:
They are. They were asked to look at one for Italy in the Wales game - that looked forwards to everyone in the world, but was given "not forwards" on the technicality that the hands were pointing backwards when the pass was made, but the momentum took it forwards.

So it was forwards, but in some bizarre "allowed" sort of way.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
jimbo wrote:
They are. They were asked to look at one for Italy in the Wales game - that looked forwards to everyone in the world, but was given "not forwards" on the technicality that the hands were pointing backwards when the pass was made, but the momentum took it forwards.

Didn't realise they were in union. In League it's in the rules that video refs can't rule out a try based on a forward pass because of how different camera angles can make it look. Theory is that the ref and TJs who are in-line with play have the best view.

This is often sloppily referred to as the 'momentum rule'. Basic principle is that if you were driving along at 70mph and threw a rugby ball backwards out of the window, it would still go forwards in relation to the ground. Rugby authorities accept this fact, so the ball must go backwards in relation to the player making the pass, if that makes sense.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:56 pm

jimbo wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Didn't realise they were in union. In League it's in the rules that video refs can't rule out a try based on a forward pass because of how different camera angles can make it look. Theory is that the ref and TJs who are in-line with play have the best view.

This is often sloppily referred to as the 'momentum rule'. Basic principle is that if you were driving along at 70mph and threw a rugby ball backwards out of the window, it would still go forwards in relation to the ground. Rugby authorities accept this fact, so the ball must go backwards in relation to the player making the pass, if that makes sense.
I didn't know they could do it in Union either until yesterday. :-)

Momentum rule sorta makes sense from a players perspective, but is clearly less clear cut than a pass that clearly goes backwards