The Climate (not weather) Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

The Climate (not weather) Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Having just walked nearly five miles over what can only be described as steep fckin hills, and each one, even with 45 degree slopes, are so sodden that each dip is filled with water and there is nothing but squish squish squishoid...THIS is Climate Change.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Climate (not weather) Thread

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Having just walked nearly five miles over what can only be described as steep fckin hills, and each one, even with 45 degree slopes, are so sodden that each dip is filled with water and there is nothing but squish squish squishoid...THIS is Climate Change.
No, that is the English winter...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Having just walked nearly five miles over what can only be described as steep fckin hills, and each one, even with 45 degree slopes, are so sodden that each dip is filled with water and there is nothing but squish squish squishoid...THIS is Climate Change.
Strangely enough though, I've never come across this particular aspect of the English winter despite having lived through 58 of them...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:16 pm

And yes, you may, in Canada, have more severe shite every single year. But water filled hoof prints in steep hills in this country... It's the End.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Strangely enough though, I've never come across this particular aspect of the English winter despite having lived through 58 of them...
That's because you should've got out more often. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
:lol: You can fxck off too... :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:And yes, you may, in Canada, have more severe shite every single year. But water filled hoof prints in steep hills in this country... It's the End.
Over here we get water-filled holes every spring, not winter. Montreal potholes are bigger than brontosaurus hoof prints and eat cars!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
:lol: You can fxck off too... :wink:
:D I'm sure I can. However, you're just over ten years older than me. In my time I've seen a summer drought, I've been snowed-in a time or two, I've known it be relentlessly wet and for it to have dropped to -15 deg C. You might call it climate change, to me it's just the weather! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:44 pm

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ yay ↑↑↑↑↑↑
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:30 pm

I know it's the Weather. I know this. The thing is, ocassionally, weather related stuff indicates climate related stuff. This is a case in point. I'm telling you if the Peak District floods most of you WILL drown...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Just some facts, this winter only:
Here - wettest in 250 years
Iran - greatest snowfall, ever recorded.
Australia - drought, and wildfires with Adelaide recording highest temperature, ever.
Brazil - widespread drought in the south. Driest ever recorded run of months.
US - only time all states have recorded snow in the same winter. Record freezes in sixteen states, ever.
Siberia - Highest ever temperature recorded in Yakutsk. This needs repeating, highest ever, in winter, yes even higher than any recorded summer temperature. For the first time since the last ice age over a thousand square miles of permafrost aren't, permafrost that is.
Egypt and the middle east have had highest recorded snowfall ever, in the case of Cairo the first for 134 years.
Amman in Jordan had so much snow thatthe airport was closed due to it - which has never occurred before.

All of these things, are when looked at locally, weather.
When viewed globally they are Climate. And its out of control. The geofeedback mechanism is being overwhelmed, the oceans are storing heat, the seas are rising, and the upper atmosphere will give us major problems in the years to come. And it is your fault ( I know, I'm part of it too).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Just some facts, this winter only:
Siberia - Highest ever temperature recorded in Yakutsk. This needs repeating, highest ever, in winter, yes even higher than any recorded summer temperature. For the first time since the last ice age over a thousand square miles of permafrost aren't, permafrost that is.
I'm sorry, Spotty, I simply don't buy this. Yakutsk is the coldest city on earth in winter and bloody hot in summer. If we take December-February as winter then it is inconceivable to me that any day in those three months could have recorded a temperature close 40 Celsius - indeed I would be astonished if any day reached 10 Celsius. I would like to know your source for this which must have been misinterpreted.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:17 pm

I've just looked up Adelaide. It is true that the "hottest February day – 44.7 °C (112.5 °F) on 2 February 2014", but this is not the hottest ever. That record was 12 January 1939, 46.1 °C (115.0 °F).

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:29 pm

46 degrees? Pah :mrgreen:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Just some facts, this winter only:
I'm sorry, Spotty, I simply don't buy this. Yakutsk is the coldest city on earth in winter and bloody hot in summer. If we take December-February as winter then it is inconceivable to me that any day in those three months could have recorded a temperature close 40 Celsius - indeed I would be astonished if any day reached 10 Celsius. I would like to know your source for this which must have been misinterpreted.
My source, Monty, is a meteorology student called Geoff, who's sitting next to me arguing like fck against two climate deniers on the other side if the table in a pub.He was quoting from his dissertation and me using my thumbs as best as possible tried to capture the verbatim rant.
I may have misrepresented some of the subtleties of the records quoted bit the point is its holistic, its icuring now at the same time across the globe. To deny this is because you are Weatherist, and I'm refusing to argue to the n'th degree with people who've already made their mind up and dismissed Climatology as being pish.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Yakutsk, by the way, was an unasked for substitution my phone made. But if Yakutsk is as you said "hotter than the sun" in summer you'd know it had no permafrost. Wherever it was, and Geoff is currently strangling someone, so I can't ask, it lost its permafrost. This year, a month ago...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Yakutsk, by the way, was an unasked for substitution my phone made. But if Yakutsk is as you said "hotter than the sun" in summer you'd know it had no permafrost. Wherever it was, and Geoff is currently strangling someone, so I can't ask, it lost its permafrost. This year, a month ago...
I didn't say it was hotter than the sun - I said it was bloody hot in summer. It's a continental climate. I doubt anywhere in the Arctic a temperature in January would be higher than one in July, unless it were at such a high latitude it is bloody freezing all year. I've looked up the record summer temperature for Yakutsk in July is 38.4, while the record high for January is - 5.8. I suspect Geoff has been drinking a little too much or exaggerating to prove his point.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 am

Yes, orphan, Yakutsk is often cited as the coldest city on Earth. It's probably not the coldest place though. http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/russia/yakutsk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I type it's -32ºC in that Russian holiday resort.

Australia? You commented (or rather Geoff did) on this summer's heat wave. It has been hot right across southern Australia this season. Western Australia, South Australia and Victoria have all experienced fierce temperatures. So have many other regional areas. Most states have also experienced numerous and severe bushfires. Two years ago many parts of the country were under water; those same areas are now in drought.

This is not unusual. Some clever clogs went data mining for Adelaide's 'records' and passed them to the 'press'. It was claimed (I haven't bothered to check) that Adelaide had 14 days where the temperature rose to >40ºC this year. The city was founded in 1830 odd. So, depending when reliable instrumentation was imported to the colony, it's still considerably less than 200 years of recorded observations. In a climate context this is sweet b.a.

Purely as a matter of interest: I maintain a weather station (private) which, in theory, runs all day and every day. The basic readings from this are passed to a web site. This year my place (weather not climate, OK?) has recorded but four occasions when the temperature exceeded the old 100ºF (37.8ºC). I have had many a year, but not in recent times, when 40+ was a regular visitor.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:59 am

I believe in climate change, things sure are becoming different but not for one minute do I think it's down to human activity. There's a whole industry been spawned by global warming which has now morphed into climate change because people started to doubt it more so when the bloody tree huggers jumped on board.
Me, from what little I know reckon it's down to the sun and our orbits of it, we don't go round in a perfect circle so surely we get closer fom time to time and being humans are a milli second of the earts life how the devil do we know it ain't happened before?
By the same score we drift further away it gets colder add to that the earth is tilting on it's axsis then no wonder the weather patterns are changing.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Hoboh wrote:I believe in climate change, things sure are becoming different but not for one minute do I think it's down to human activity. There's a whole industry been spawned by global warming which has now morphed into climate change because people started to doubt it more so when the bloody tree huggers jumped on board.
Me, from what little I know reckon it's down to the sun and our orbits of it, we don't go round in a perfect circle so surely we get closer fom time to time and being humans are a milli second of the earts life how the devil do we know it ain't happened before?
By the same score we drift further away it gets colder add to that the earth is tilting on it's axsis then no wonder the weather patterns are changing.

Astronomically interesting, Hoboh. I believe that with an imperfect orbit we do come closer to the sun from time to time - however, this is not on a geological time scale but once a year. As for the tilted axis, this is why we have winter and summer. This happens every year too.