The Climate (not weather) Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Climate (not weather) Thread

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 pm

It snowed a bit tbf monty

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Be fair to Americans? Well, if you insist. It did indeed snow there, just like any Saturday in Montreal. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:51 pm

It's the most snow i've seen in my life!

To be honest was impress with how it was handled. Subway still ran underground and the roads were practically clear on sunday, nothwistanding the 5ft-high piles of snow that were parked to the curb. That sort of snowfall in London would have led to civil war.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:20 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:It's the most snow i've seen in my life!

To be honest was impress with how it was handled. Subway still ran underground and the roads were practically clear on sunday, nothwistanding the 5ft-high piles of snow that were parked to the curb. That sort of snowfall in London would have led to civil war.
December 1980 just before I flew out to Japan, London had snowfall in that sort of measure. Maybe not five foot, but three foot easily with drifts right up to the top of the shop windows on Hendon main shopping street. The tube ran there too, and life continued. Sometimes it's worse when there's a small amount because some people carry on as normal when they can't and others panic when they shouldn't. Quite topical really.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:It's the most snow i've seen in my life!

December 1980 just before I flew out to Japan, London had snowfall in that sort of measure. Maybe not five foot, but three foot easily with drifts right up to the top of the shop windows on Hendon main shopping street. The tube ran there too, and life continued. Sometimes it's worse when there's a small amount because some people carry on as normal when they can't and others panic when they shouldn't. Quite topical really.
sorry just to clarify, the five foot came from people shovelling teh stuff in the road onto the side of the pavement. probably jsut a couple of foot or so proper

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Ahh. Very similar to London 1980 then. I'm presuming you're too young to remember that (or dinosaurs).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ahh. Very similar to London 1980 then. I'm presuming you're too young to remember that (or dinosaurs).
You must be too young to remember the winter of 1962-63,Spotty - my last in the UK. It was not only the third coldest ever and coldest since 1740, but there was a lot of snow drifting up to 20 feet. Some buses were completely buried by drifts in Somerset when I went back to school. Now that was a winter!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ahh. Very similar to London 1980 then. I'm presuming you're too young to remember that (or dinosaurs).
You must be too young to remember the winter of 1962-63,Spotty - my last in the UK. It was not only the third coldest ever and coldest since 1740, but there was a lot of snow drifting up to 20 feet. Some buses were completely buried by drifts in Somerset when I went back to school. Now that was a winter!
Far from it Monty. I was 8 years old. (I thought it was 63/4 but never mind). We lived at the very end of a row of prefabs set up after the war (housing that refugees would complain about these days!) and there was a narrow neck at the top of the dale they were built in (Conningdale) which got covered in a drift and got wind blown into a monstrosity over 30 feet deep. The adults couldn't dig it out because the snow was powdery and fell in to the trenches and the kids couldn't scale it because even light children sank in it. For a week we were supplied by RAF helicopter.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Building-mounted turbines tend to produce less electricity per kW than pole-mounted ones. A well-sited 6kW turbine can generate around 10,000kWh and the equivalent of around 5.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year.
Been looking at these and the bit in bold I simply don't figure, surely it would produce zero? :conf:
Or have they missed 'save' out of the sentence?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:01 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Building-mounted turbines tend to produce less electricity per kW than pole-mounted ones. A well-sited 6kW turbine can generate around 10,000kWh and the equivalent of around 5.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year.
Been looking at these and the bit in bold I simply don't figure, surely it would produce zero? :conf:
meh. Who cares ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:12 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
meh. Who cares ??
:lol:
Planning ahead old chap, not that I'm going to start linking hands with the greens dancing around trees but I thought I would brush up on these things. Good for winter backup to solar panels I believe, the mistress of the house keeps looking at cottages in the country, me I plead poverty!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Meanwhile in Tasmania. Complete and utter destruction of World Heritage listed forests. Never to be seen again. Climate Change as forecasted, the beginning of the end has ended.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:40 am

I'm currently watching Occupied on american Netflix:

Set in the near future, Occupied finds the European Union in the midst of an energy crisis. Making matters worse for the EU is non-EU member Norway, whose newly-elected Norwegian Green Party halts the country’s fossil fuel production in favor of nuclear power, following a devastating hurricane brought on by climate change. So the powers that be within the EU call on Russia to invade Norway and restore its oil and gas production.

Kidnappings, assassination attempts, bombings, and more ensue, as security forces of both countries attempt to prevent a full-scale war, while an insurgent Norwegian group takes extreme measures to provoke Russian withdrawal.

it's an interesting diversion!

the future politics of climate change?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:33 am

thebish wrote:I'm currently watching Occupied on american Netflix:

Set in the near future, Occupied finds the European Union in the midst of an energy crisis. Making matters worse for the EU is non-EU member Norway, whose newly-elected Norwegian Green Party halts the country’s fossil fuel production in favor of nuclear power, following a devastating hurricane brought on by climate change. So the powers that be within the EU call on Russia to invade Norway and restore its oil and gas production.

Kidnappings, assassination attempts, bombings, and more ensue, as security forces of both countries attempt to prevent a full-scale war, while an insurgent Norwegian group takes extreme measures to provoke Russian withdrawal.

it's an interesting diversion!

the future politics of climate change?
The future politics are already with us. Drought and desertification are prime factors in driving Nigerians/Malians/etcetrians in the migration crisis. The northern Nigerians are also pushing further south, and the land conflicts are driving a new tribal conflict. When I say new, anybody over fifty five will remember the Biafran war, well it's the same tribe, the Ibo, under pressure again, and a new war will start (YHIHF).
Other places, like Bangladesh, are not coping with increased flooding, and tribal movements are underway there too.
Repeat in Papua, Sudan, Venezuela, Brazil, Zambia, Indonesia, India, Kazakhstan.
It will be a mess. A bloody mess.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:52 am

aye - true enough... the effects of climate change are nothing new - it has been the focus of Christian Aid's campaigning for quite some time - and my involvement in that brings me stories week-by-week of communities around the world being driven off their land and seeing the source of their economic livelihood destroyed. Christian Aid's partners in Central America have had some success generating local initiatives in prawn-farming, f'rinstance. Global warming will wipe that out in quite short order...

I was, however, thinking of closer-to-home politics (ie. europe)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

thebish wrote:aye - true enough... the effects of climate change are nothing new - it has been the focus of Christian Aid's campaigning for quite some time - and my involvement in that brings me stories week-by-week of communities around the world being driven off their land and seeing the source of their economic livelihood destroyed. Christian Aid's partners in Central America have had some success generating local initiatives in prawn-farming, f'rinstance. Global warming will wipe that out in quite short order...

I was, however, thinking of closer-to-home politics (ie. europe)
Fair enough... when Cornwall, the once and famous English Riviera has become part of the Great Devonian Dustbowl, and the Lake District has so much rain per year sheep are a major constituent of its rivers, at that point as I'm manning the Peak District Soviet's borders, you and Clappers better have visible TW badges prominently displayed or its the firing squad behind the border checkpoint for you. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Meanwhile in Tasmania. Complete and utter destruction of World Heritage listed forests. Never to be seen again. Climate Change as forecasted, the beginning of the end has ended.

Apparently large parts of Papua New Guinea have been burning like this for months (there's a statistic around somewhere that it's throwing as much CO2 up into the air as the rest of the planet combined or something) and there is only one international journalist covering it (French I think) because no-one's interested. The fires are so big they're not even trying to stop them.

People really are stupid.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Meanwhile in Tasmania. Complete and utter destruction of World Heritage listed forests. Never to be seen again. Climate Change as forecasted, the beginning of the end has ended.

Apparently large parts of Papua New Guinea have been burning like this for months (there's a statistic around somewhere that it's throwing as much CO2 up into the air as the rest of the planet combined or something) and there is only one international journalist covering it (French I think) because no-one's interested. The fires are so big they're not even trying to stop them.

People really are stupid.
Indeed.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:06 pm

My bad. Indonesia.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable- ... er-burning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:My bad. Indonesia.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable- ... er-burning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
West Irian is now called Papua. It's west of Papua New Guinea on the island known as New Guinea or Irian or Papua; it's Indonesian. So you're correct in both. Forsts burning in Borneo too. Deliberately set to clear swathes for Sago plantations and cattle ranches. Singapore has nearly four months a year when residents are officially warned it's lethal to go outside for more than a few minutes due to smoke inhalation.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください