thruppany bit returns

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

thruppany bit returns

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Well not quite as that would be stupid but the 12 sided shape returns
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26632863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Voice Of Reason

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: thruppany bit returns

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:52 am

The Pound coin's 30 years old? Really? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:The Pound coin's 30 years old? Really? :shock:
You are right :shock:

How old does that make me feel?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:12 am

Thruppenny bits. Snigger.

I remember being an altar boy at St Josephs and being tipped at weddings and funerals (my favourite as you got to have a morning off school) with the new One Pound Note!

The one pound coins felt like manhole covers in your pocket. :P

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Thruppenny bits. Snigger.

I remember being an altar boy at St Josephs and being tipped at weddings and funerals (my favourite as you got to have a morning off school) with the new One Pound Note!

I was an altar boy then head altar boy for 7/8 years at St Josephs. It was half-a-crown tip you got at weddings and funerals (mainly funerals because you got it off the undertaker. At weddings if the best man was a miserable xxxx he just "forgot" and you got nothing. Not that we didn't serve from the goodness of our hearts or to give our mothers bragging rights of course :D ) Pre decimalisation all the coins were, or at least seemed, much heavier. By 1950 ( a time when myself, Dujon, and Monty were drawing breath albeit as kids,, the "shilling shortage"arrived. : :wink:

http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/histor ... e1950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Thruppenny bits. Snigger.

I was an altar boy then head altar boy for 7/8 years at St Josephs. It was half-a-crown tip you got at weddings and funerals (mainly funerals because you got it off the undertaker. At weddings if the best man was a miserable xxxx he just "forgot" and you got nothing. Not that we didn't serve from the goodness of our hearts or to give our mothers bragging rights of course :D ) Pre decimalisation all the coins were, or at least seemed, much heavier. By 1950 ( a time when myself, Dujon, and Monty were drawing breath albeit as kids,, the "shilling shortage"arrived. : :wink:

http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/histor ... e1950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back then pennies were like manhole covers, and farthings (with the robin) and halfpennies (with the ship) were in common usage (especially in the sweet shop for me). Sixpences were silver and went in the Christmas pudding.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:23 pm

I remember the change to decimal coins, though I was only five or six years old at the time. Well, what I actually remember was being in A/B Asda with my mum, surrounded by utterly befuddled adults looking at these conversion cards and trying to work out how much things were costing them.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I remember the change to decimal coins, though I was only five or six years old at the time. Well, what I actually remember was being in A/B Asda with my mum, surrounded by utterly befuddled adults looking at these conversion cards and trying to work out how much things were costing them.
More probably - it was that way with petrol when we went from gallons to litres.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Oh great so it is going to look almost identical to a £2 coin surely that in itself will lead to more fraud?
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 pm

danhorwich wrote:Oh great so it is going to look almost identical to a £2 coin surely that in itself will lead to more fraud?
Er, no, it isn't Dan. Nothing like it in fact since it'll have twelve flats around its edge. The whole point of the excercise is to avoid counterfeiting. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:27 pm

It IS going to look like a shit euro though. Hobes will be thrilled.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I don't give a shit as this won't effect me.

I don't have owt less than a tenner in my wallet.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Christ, I thought I was big-time for carrying nowt less than a 20p piece.

Also, top tip, if you have a shit load of change, instead of sticking it through the machine at the supermarket that takes a commission, just empty it into the coin bit at the self checkout. Gives you big change too. Morrison's is good coz it has a coin 'bucket' so you don't have to stick 'em in by hand.

Maybe I'm not big-time.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:57 pm

No, you sound like an arry ramp

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:It IS going to look like a shit euro though. Hobes will be thrilled.

Theres a conspiracy theory I could climb on board with. They seem to work universally (same weight, size?). We're being prepared.

Where his and my opinions start to diverge is that I don't give a shit what coinage we use, as long as it buys me stuff.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 am

Aye, TANGO, I'm a bit younger than your good self but I remember the gas and electricity meters. "Here, son, go and put the shilling in the electricity meter will you?" If we ever had a penny meter I don't recall it.

Changing coins can be a problem for any Mint. Any new mintage must be the same dimensions and weight as the old ones; otherwise millions of vending machines and other coin operated devices will become obsolete. They must also be unique. There's no point in producing a coin with exactly the same specifications of a lesser value currency from another country. I recall some many years ago that the punters cottoned on to the fact that a certain washer was a perfect substitute for one of our coins. Oh dear! :o

Anyhow, our 50 cent piece is a twelve sided coin. It is our largest coin in circulation. I, with no evidence to support it, blame it for the wear and tear on my trouser pockets. :evil:

http://www.ramint.gov.au/designs/ram-designs/50c.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Prufrock wrote:It IS going to look like a shit euro though. Hobes will be thrilled.

Theres a conspiracy theory I could climb on board with. They seem to work universally (same weight, size?). We're being prepared.

Where his and my opinions start to diverge is that I don't give a shit what coinage we use, as long as it buys me stuff.
Though I'm sure you'd agree the only legitimate solution would sadly be to bomb Brussels? If only they hadn't spent all that European Tax money on building nuclear bomb-sized craters to catch the nukes!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:30 am

Dujon wrote:Aye, TANGO, I'm a bit younger than your good self but I remember the gas and electricity meters. "Here, son, go and put the shilling in the electricity meter will you?" If we ever had a penny meter I don't recall it.

Changing coins can be a problem for any Mint. Any new mintage must be the same dimensions and weight as the old ones; otherwise millions of vending machines and other coin operated devices will become obsolete. They must also be unique. There's no point in producing a coin with exactly the same specifications of a lesser value currency from another country. I recall some many years ago that the punters cottoned on to the fact that a certain washer was a perfect substitute for one of our coins. Oh dear! :o

Anyhow, our 50 cent piece is a twelve sided coin. It is our largest coin in circulation. I, with no evidence to support it, blame it for the wear and tear on my trouser pockets. :evil:

http://www.ramint.gov.au/designs/ram-designs/50c.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For us the $5.00 is the smallest note in circulations - we have coins for $1.00 (a Loonie based on the bird on the obverse) and for $2.00 (a Twonie, although I voted for dubloon). Stores no longer give change in cents (pennies), moving the price up or down to the nearest multiple of five. The cent still exists in paycheques, revenue payments, bank statements, etc., etc. Of course many people have hundreds in a jar at home.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 am

So, an announcement is made that we are to have a new pound coin. (OK so far) the reason for this being to confudulate the counterfeiters (errrrm, ok). We will be launching this new coin next Wednesday in three years time in 2017 (wait just a goddam minute there your chancellorship! what in the name of blazing blue blazers good is it going to be if you're going to give the counterfeiters three feckin years to tool up :shock: . Knobs, we're run by knobs!).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:So, an announcement is made that we are to have a new pound coin. (OK so far) the reason for this being to confudulate the counterfeiters (errrrm, ok). We will be launching this new coin next Wednesday in three years time in 2017 (wait just a goddam minute there your chancellorship! what in the name of blazing blue blazers good is it going to be if you're going to give the counterfeiters three feckin years to tool up :shock: . Knobs, we're run by knobs!).
Well, there'll be all sorts of clever doodads to foil the counterfeiters, but they'll be announced well in advance by the Sun and Daily Mail investigation teams, just like we tell all sorts of wrongdoers our plans on everything in advance. Everytime this sort of topic arises I get a mental picture, best American style, of a dozen guys, all with crew cuts, all wearing black suits, shades and earpieces rushing into somewhere waving identical guns and I'D cards and all screaming.."Secret Service" at the top of their lungs. :lol: