Whisky

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whisky

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Cheers, Spotto. Someone once gave me a swig of something that had been made in Ireland from potato peel. My breathing has never fully recovered!
That would be poteen, Bruce. Perhaps fortunately I've never had the pleasure.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Bruce 100 degrees proof is equivalent to 57% ethanol by volume. 200 degrees proof is pure alcohol more or less - white lightning probably having ~0.5% impurities.

Monty, I think the difference between white bourbons and white lightning is not the legality but the strength. Twas my understanding the white bourbons compete illegally with the licensed whiskys on price (less tax) but do not differ to the usual 40abv or so. I might, of course, have misunderstood the locals. The other big difference was the white bourbon was dispensed in bottles whereas the white lightning came in gallon jugs.
I suppose white bourbon can be illegally produced but there are also legal versions. Even Tesco's sells Bean's White Bourbon. It is a good idea to avoid the illicit stuff as the 0.5% impurities often come from lead or radiator fluid as the moonshiners tend use old car radiators for their stills.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Cheers, Spotto. Someone once gave me a swig of something that had been made in Ireland from potato peel. My breathing has never fully recovered!
That would be poteen, Bruce. Perhaps fortunately I've never had the pleasure.
Let me assure you, my friend, that there is no pleasure to be had there whatsoever. I've taken one for the team there, believe me!
May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Just picked a bottle of The Singleton ('Spey Cascade') at Tesco and taken the top inch off to make sure it's not off. You have to. It's the law.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:05 pm

short day at work, and now sitting around with a friend 'watching' the unfolding comet story (one tweet every hour... :zzz: ) so we've cracked open his whisky.
Tangle Ridge double-casked (whatever the feck that means) 10 yr old - from Canada don't you know.
Don't all rush out at once to buy it. In fact don't even meander about for years and years before buying it. Just don't buy it. Supposedly the best stuff Canada produces - it's fecking evil stuff. Tastes like petrol with high notes of tarmacadam and a lingering aftertaste of brine.
I've emigrated onto the vodka, and I don't even like vodka, just to wash my mouth out.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:short day at work, and now sitting around with a friend 'watching' the unfolding comet story (one tweet every hour... :zzz: ) so we've cracked open his whisky.
Tangle Ridge double-casked (whatever the feck that means) 10 yr old - from Canada don't you know.
Don't all rush out at once to buy it. In fact don't even meander about for years and years before buying it. Just don't buy it. Supposedly the best stuff Canada produces - it's fecking evil stuff. Tastes like petrol with high notes of tarmacadam and a lingering aftertaste of brine.
I've emigrated onto the vodka, and I don't even like vodka, just to wash my mouth out.
Just when I thought the worst was over... In tribute to the successful landing of Philae I've persuaded Mike to crack open his bestest bottle. I've been eyeing it for a couple of years now:
Glen Garioch, 27 year old single malt, Distilled 29/June/1970, cask 376
talk about disappointing, never have I been so let down, ordinary ordinary ordinary. It's not bad, it's just not anywhere near expectations... :|
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:20 pm

After an afternoon on the piss your taste buds will be shot. You should on the cheap blends now.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:29 pm

jaffka wrote:After an afternoon on the piss your taste buds will be shot. You should on the cheap blends now.
You're probably right, but now we've opened his best I'm struggling to find reasons not to open mine... But your post will help, it's evidence no.1 in the defence which I'm about to present to the court (me n'Mike's been joined by Gobby and Malcolm who aren't bouche jaded and may see reason too).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:58 am

Oh boy. First whisky headache ever. I don't want another in my lifetime. Throbdom.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Oh boy. First whisky headache ever. I don't want another in my lifetime. Throbdom.
Let me reiterate this... I'm having a whisker of the dog (that is, a beer). I've had to take the day off work to do this. Ow, my fecking head. I don't feel sick or spinning or anything, just poundationated, thudderated, massivefistthumpated. I have to keep my head gyroscopically aligned to one vector and move my neck in tiny increments just so as not to set of seismic ache waves of MASSIVE proportions. Fecking whisky. :(
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:09 pm

I end up super pissed off whisky and can still taste it the next day.

That's why I try and avoid it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:20 pm

I've a mate stopping over this weekend who's going through a protracted pretty shit time. I think I can safely say that the unopened bottle of Ledaig that I received in July's days are numbered.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 pm

I've just had a sample of, and subsequently bought a bottle of one I've never heard of before. Teeling Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Very, very nice. First time I've really come across Irish single malt.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:27 pm

About to try an Ardbeg Uigeadail...the ultimate Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky. That's what it says on the label.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 pm

King of Soho. It's not whisky, it's a gin. But I'm not starting a gin thread. Sublime, best gin ever. New brand, I've started in on it after the sun's sunk beneath the yardarm... I need to stop but it's drawing me in, the tasty little beggar.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:35 pm

I've never liked gin. Although, having said that, since I was about 12 and sneaked some of my mums straight from the bottle, I've never really sat down and tried it. Always thought it was a bit perfumy. Perhaps I should give it a try.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:King of Soho. It's not whisky, it's a gin. But I'm not starting a gin thread. Sublime, best gin ever. New brand, I've started in on it after the sun's sunk beneath the yardarm... I need to stop but it's drawing me in, the tasty little beggar.
Interesting. My favourite two are Martin Millers and Sipsmith's. I'm keen to test King of Soho, now. In which ways do you find it superior to the two I mention?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:King of Soho. It's not whisky, it's a gin. But I'm not starting a gin thread. Sublime, best gin ever. New brand, I've started in on it after the sun's sunk beneath the yardarm... I need to stop but it's drawing me in, the tasty little beggar.
Interesting. My favourite two are Martin Millers and Sipsmith's. I'm keen to test King of Soho, now. In which ways do you find it superior to the two I mention?
I've always enjoyed a G&T , but never ventured beyond Gordon's and Beefeater. Got a bottle of Sipsmith's for my 40th though and it's clearly superior. Going to try some others as well, any suggestions?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Tanqueray. Think it's got a great flavour along with the juniper...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Tanqueray. Think it's got a great flavour along with the juniper...
Good shout :D