Early One Morning

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Re:

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:"No more need be said of the play. It is a visual thing and not a written one."What? :roll:
No more need be said of the play (by me) about something I'd seen. Describing it on here can't come near seeing it. Not that hard to understand surely? It was followed two lines later by "It can’t really be described in words. Go see it; you surely won’t regret it."
Well you want to write more legibly then.

Anyway, your ramblings aside - went to see it last night for the first time. Absolutely brilliant. Looking forward to seeing it again now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Early One Morning

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:50 pm

Thank you very much, both Bruce and Tango. I really appreciate it.

Now that press night's over, and the early reviews are good, I feel I can relax a bit.

Press night always sees me as nervous as hell. Was up until 2.00am on champagne, malt and adrenaline. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:06 pm

William the White wrote:Thank you very much, both Bruce and Tango. I really appreciate it.

Now that press night's over, and the early reviews are good, I feel I can relax a bit.

Press night always sees me as nervous as hell. Was up until 2.00am on champagne, malt and adrenaline. :D
Apologies for not having come to say I was off, but I assumed you'd be busy and we were talking with Helen for ages. You looked remarkably relaxed - well done on every front.

Will Mossop is now Jim Smith btw. :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Online reviews now starting to come through.

A nice one...

http://nowthenmanchester.blogspot.co.uk ... 91014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A snotty one

http://www.britishtheatreguide.info/rev ... atre-10775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Another nice one...

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/early-o ... re-bolton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Close to a stinker...

http://www.whatsonstage.com/bolton-thea ... 36077.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is pretty common, by the way... Every production will have a crazy variety of critical response...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:12 pm

William the White wrote: Close to a stinker...

http://www.whatsonstage.com/bolton-thea ... 36077.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What absolute bollocks.

Firstly, this;

'It could only be put on here; the location is intrinsic to this play's success, from the jokes and comments about various places in the area to the very fact that the play's central figure is from Bolton. This means that a lot of the play is lost on someone who is not from or does not know the area.'

Nonsense. Sarah, the girl that was with me is from outside the area. I specifically asked her about the local references and she'd had no problem in filling in the blanks for herself, most tellingly she'd clocked that Townleys is our local hospital.

'This is down to the performance of Shelford, who lacks emotion throughout. This is most apparent when he is told his fate, his lines are delivered flatly, as if he is just going through the motions, trying to get to the end of the performance as quickly as possible.'

Errr, this is Shelford playing a man suffering from what we now know to be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder who hasn't really got much of a clue as to what's going on around him. Yet to say he lacks emotion in the second act is quite possibly the biggest pile of bollocks I've read since Dan last visited the Vale of Evesham.

'The rest of the cast were not really that memorable'. Really? The lad playing the frightened Scouser didn't give a memorable performance? I suggest the reviewer here gets themselves checked out for Alzheimer's.

'but the second half lacks the intensity and emotional depth of the first. ' I say the exact opposite. The first half set the big performances of the second half up perfectly.

'Early One Morning should tug your heartstrings, but it lacks the emotional depth, impact and consistency to truly move you.'

I have no idea who Barney Moorhouse is, but I can only conclude that he or she has nothing other than a waxy pea-sized heart.

You deserve better than this fecking rubbish, Les. Sorry, but reading that has really pissed me off.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

What absolute bollocks.

Firstly, this;

'It could only be put on here; the location is intrinsic to this play's success, from the jokes and comments about various places in the area to the very fact that the play's central figure is from Bolton. This means that a lot of the play is lost on someone who is not from or does not know the area.'

Nonsense. Sarah, the girl that was with me is from outside the area. I specifically asked her about the local references and she'd had no problem in filling in the blanks for herself, most tellingly she'd clocked that Townleys is our local hospital.

'This is down to the performance of Shelford, who lacks emotion throughout. This is most apparent when he is told his fate, his lines are delivered flatly, as if he is just going through the motions, trying to get to the end of the performance as quickly as possible.'

Errr, this is Shelford playing a man suffering from what we now know to be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder who hasn't really got much of a clue as to what's going on around him. Yet to say he lacks emotion in the second act is quite possibly the biggest pile of bollocks I've read since Dan last visited the Vale of Evesham.

'The rest of the cast were not really that memorable'. Really? The lad playing the frightened Scouser didn't give a memorable performance? I suggest the reviewer here gets themselves checked out for Alzheimer's.

'but the second half lacks the intensity and emotional depth of the first. ' I say the exact opposite. The first half set the big performances of the second half up perfectly.

'Early One Morning should tug your heartstrings, but it lacks the emotional depth, impact and consistency to truly move you.'

I have no idea who Barney Moorhouse is, but I can only conclude that he or she has nothing other than a waxy pea-sized heart.

You deserve better than this fecking rubbish, Les. Sorry, but reading that has really pissed me off.
Stick that in their comments section Bruce then they cannot unfairly pass on the lousy judgement without consequences.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

What absolute bollocks.

Firstly, this;

There's been plenty of nice ones as well. And this is - so far - the only truly negative one. But, as I said, every production gets a wide variety of reviews. You learn to live with it. And with a shrug.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:19 pm

A decent review from a respected critic.

http://manchestertheatreawards.com/revi ... on-octagon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Absolutely stunning. Thought provoking, absorbing and deeply moving. WtW is a genius imo having written this. Seriously, seriously talented :pray:

If you're in the Bolton area any time before the end of its run, go to see this play. It was brilliantly acted, with plenty of much needed gallows humour to lighten the mood, many local references including BWFC (it would have been rude not to) and a superb 'stage' in an intimate theatre setting. I can't even single any one of the excellent actors out, as it would seem unfair.

Fish and chips with great company afterwards and three points for the super whites made for a very, very good day! :D

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Absolutely stunning. Thought provoking, absorbing and deeply moving. WtW is a genius imo having written this. Seriously, seriously talented :pray:

If you're in the Bolton area any time before the end of its run, go to see this play. It was brilliantly acted, with plenty of much needed gallows humour to lighten the mood, many local references including BWFC (it would have been rude not to) and a superb 'stage' in an intimate theatre setting. I can't even single any one of the excellent actors out, as it would seem unfair.

Fish and chips with great company afterwards and three points for the super whites made for a very, very good day! :D
A superb play indeed and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon out with WtW, Bruce and BP....thanks guys!
The Voice Of Reason

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Absolutely stunning. Thought provoking, absorbing and deeply moving. WtW is a genius imo having written this. Seriously, seriously talented :pray:

A superb play indeed and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon out with WtW, Bruce and BP....thanks guys!
Must echo BP's sentiments here. It's the second time I've seen it now and, as superb as it was on Press Night, the actors are now really owning and living their characters. You simply must see this play, and no not just because WtW wrote it. This play has moved me so much that I actually got around to tracking down my Great Grandfather's war grave when I was away last week - seriously. Was wonderful to be part of a standing ovation today too, the first time ever at the Octagon I've even seen one, let alone been part of one, and over the past eight years I've seen some truly excellent stuff there.
They need to give the place a clean though. Damn that dust that got in my eye in the closing act. ;)

Great to meet Salford Trotter, a really lovely fella and excellent company. Perfect fish and chips at the Olympus afterwards too. Nom nom :D

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 am

Just booked for the 1st November.

The final show as well.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:37 pm

You'll love it Jaffka, but it isn't an easy watch. In fact, at times, it is quite gruelling, but that is a testament to the quality of the acting. Michael Shelford, who plays the central character, is just fantastic and he remains on stage right through the play including during the interval. We've seen him in several plays now and every time he gives a top notch performance but this is his best yet. Our tickets were for row D so we expected to be near the front. In fact we were right on the front row and my feet were in the Passchendaele mud that covers the stage floor area of the imaginative set. With that and the constant sound of battle close at hand during the play it felt that I was at the front in more ways than one! And when that senior officer shouted 'ANSWER THE QUESTION..." during the trial scene he was stood right next to me not a foot away and I very nearly ended up on the back row!

Well done, WtW, I stand in awe! A brilliant play and with a much deserved brilliant production.
Last edited by clapton is god on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:44 pm

clapton is god wrote:You'll love it Jaffka, but it isn't an easy watch. In fact, at times, it is quite gruelling, but that is a testament to the quality of the acting. Michael Shelford, who plays the central character, is just fantastic and he remains on stage right through the play including during the interval. We've seen him in several plays now and every time he gives a top notch performance but this is his best yet. Our tickets were for row D so we expected to be near the front. In fact we were right on the front row and my feet were in the Passchendaele mud that covers the stage floor area of the imaginative set. With that and the constant sound of battle close at hand during the play it felt that I was at the front in more ways than one! And when that senior officer shouted 'ANSWER THE QUESTION..." during the trial scene he was stood right next to me not a foot away and I very nearly ended up on the back row!

Well done, WtW, I stand in awe! A brilliant play and with a much deserved brilliant production. Spoiler alert next sentence in white: I'm pleased though that you spared us the next few seconds as the lights went down. I don't think anyone in the auditorium could have stood that and walked out with dry faces.
We are on row A :shock:

Better have a bottle of wine beforehand to keep my nerves under control.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:04 pm

clapton is god wrote:You'll love it Jaffka, but it isn't an easy watch. In fact, at times, it is quite gruelling, but that is a testament to the quality of the acting. Michael Shelford, who plays the central character, is just fantastic and he remains on stage right through the play including during the interval. We've seen him in several plays now and every time he gives a top notch performance but this is his best yet. Our tickets were for row D so we expected to be near the front. In fact we were right on the front row and my feet were in the Passchendaele mud that covers the stage floor area of the imaginative set. With that and the constant sound of battle close at hand during the play it felt that I was at the front in more ways than one! And when that senior officer shouted 'ANSWER THE QUESTION..." during the trial scene he was stood right next to me not a foot away and I very nearly ended up on the back row!

Well done, WtW, I stand in awe! A brilliant play and with a much deserved brilliant production. [/color]
Absolutely 100% with you on the spoilered sentence CIG. I was just about to go, which I've never come close to before whilst watching anything. :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

Well done, WtW, I stand in awe! A brilliant play and with a much deserved brilliant production. [/color]
Absolutely 100% with you on the spoilered sentence CIG. I was just about to go, which I've never come close to before whilst watching anything. :shock:
Don't know if you guys know the full gory details about how it really ended, but I'm glad that Will chose not to take it that far. The play is ultimately about the events and circumstances leading up to it, rather than how it actually finished (or at least that's my take on it).

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Don't know if you guys know the full gory details about how it really ended, but I'm glad that Will chose not to take it that far. The play is ultimately about the events and circumstances leading up to it, rather than how it actually finished (or at least that's my take on it).
I don't know how the play ended but I do know how the story ended - basically another spectacular snafu in the annals of the British army.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

I don't know how the play ended but I do know how the story ended - basically another spectacular snafu in the annals of the British army.
I'll PM you, Monty.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Read it the other day. Very distressing for everyone involved.