Blackpool - The Northern Riviera

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Blackpool - The Northern Riviera

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:45 am

PMSL

http://www.dougiewallace.com/10118/portfolio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Blackpool - The Northern Riviera

Post by malcd1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:18 am

I hate Blackpool. Those photo's sum it up perfectly.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

see, i appreciate is a desolte depraved shithole, but for some reason dont really mind it (in very small doses)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am

A couple of years back I was invited on a mate's F-i-L's works day out which, after a day of sporting activities, culminated with the coach dropping us off in Blackpool for the evening. As we alighted the coach we were greeted by the sight of a woman in her thirties squatting in Wilkinson's doorway, knickers round ankles, taking a piss, at around 19:00 in broad daylight.

I wouldn't have minded but her fanny looked like a badly packed kebab.
May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:see, i appreciate is a desolte depraved shithole, but for some reason dont really mind it (in very small doses)
Aye, thats where I am too. Back in the 70's and 80's my in-laws (who were farmers) annual 'holiday' was one day in Blackpool. We'd start on the main car park, have a walk around the pleasure beach, take a tram down to the tower and spend the evening in the ballroom. Same thing for 20+ years.

Now, with the kids, we again manage one day a year but confine it to a cafe for breakfast then the pleasure beach for a few hours. I can manage that, just about.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:13 pm

It's a dump, generally full of scrotes.

It does, however, probably still have the best value fun fair, if that's your bag. It was ok when I was 16, but other than taking kids to said fun fair, I wouldn't want to get any nearer to it than the opposite end of the M55.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:22 pm

we went last week, picked kids up from school and drove over, parked up, had no lovely fish & chips, let the dog chase seaguls on the beach for a bit, central pier, big wheel, few other rides, few games on the stalls, kentuck derby, then when it got dark jumped in the car for a length of the Promenade with the illuminations and was home for 8pm. kids loved it.

ive also had some cracking nights out there in my youth, afternoons in the tower lounge! great fun. just gotta take it for what it is. there are some ace rides on the pleasure beach too tbf.

also saw lots of scrotes, scallies, slappers, smack heads, gypsies and stag & hen troops, aaand plenty of horrendous dilapidated greasy B&B's with "NO VACANCIES" in their wondows :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Yeah - it's great for the kids and better value than Alton Towers etc. When they're grown-up, I don't think I'd find any reason to ever visit the place again.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 pm

A very different Blackpool now than when we'd spend our annual holiday there at sixteen. Kids owned the place and yes, there were plenty plonkers staggering about after two halves of I.P.A or whatever, but it was fun in general and the Winter Gardens and Tower Ballroom were our Mecca (no pun intended) . A fond memory is of a gang of us strolling round the South Pier in the sunshine whilst Perez Prado's Cherry Pink Mambo blasted out over the sound system. Yes, it was a long time ago. :wink:

Last time we ( me and the wife) went, a few years back, we called in a pub near the Tower for a quick half before setting off home. Next news, a horde of bouncers are dashing next door where a rehearsal for World War III had kicked off . It was about 5-30 in the afternoon. Enough was enough.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 pm

I loved it as a kid and can remember a few good bank holidays there in the 80s. Even then, there were folks scrapping in the street and robbing the 10 penny falls. I was quite shocked when a bloke in a Leeds shirt saw my hat and shouted in my face 'Bolton bastard'. I think I was 14 :roll:

Only difference I can see now, is that the women there seem so much rougher now than they did then.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 pm

I thought what was noteworthy was that when those photo's slipped from Blackpool ones to street scenes in an Arabic city you weren't immediately certain and, if anything, they seemed to be calmer.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I thought what was noteworthy was that when those photo's slipped from Blackpool ones to street scenes in an Arabic city you weren't immediately certain and, if anything, they seemed to be calmer.
:lol: I spotted that too...as I scratched my head and tried to work out where in Blackpool some of them were...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I thought what was noteworthy was that when those photo's slipped from Blackpool ones to street scenes in an Arabic city you weren't immediately certain and, if anything, they seemed to be calmer.
:lol: I spotted that too...as I scratched my head and tried to work out where in Blackpool some of them were...

Quite a few of those are London too.

Quite sad, although I like the photos of the people taken through the bus/ car window with the buildings reflected on the glass/ their faces.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Quite a few of those are London too.

Quite sad, although I like the photos of the people taken through the bus/ car window with the buildings reflected on the glass/ their faces.
the guy with the window decoration looking like an egyptian crown is well done! :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Still think Blackpool is mint for getting laced from dinner til breakfast
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 pm

boltonboris wrote:Still think Blackpool is mint for getting laced from dinner til breakfast
true dat.

also that translates to about 12 hours if youre from down south, or about 18 hours if your a double hard northern bastard!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 am

You bar stewards! Talk about spoiling childhood memories - sheesh. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Dujon wrote:You bar stewards! Talk about spoiling childhood memories - sheesh. :wink:
Moving along the coast a bit, our very first visit to Southport, the seaside, I was about seven and had never seen the sea. Not the best place to go to do it. We walked about forty seven miles (okay, maybe half-a-mile) trying to get to it and it was still miles away, then forty-seven miles back. Watched the boats on the Marina, but dad wasn't fooling us, it wasn't the sea because there was no sand. Went home feeling very cheated indeed. Not a galleon or pirate ship in sight. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:01 am

And there ended Tango's love affair with ships. Well, sort of...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:46 am

Good old Blackpool, the Middlesbrough of Lancashire, home to more smackheads and crackheads then anywhere else In Britain. It is of course renowned for being where all of the north west's scumbags go to live after being run out of their own towns/cities. I like the rest of you went for a few holidays there when I was little, the difference being that I went there in the 90s when it was starting to get really sh*t. One of the few places that seem to get worse every time I go there.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.