The aquarium/fish thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: The aquarium/fish thread

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 am

Honest mate. People try to over complicate it. It's really easy to keep fish once you know what your doing

Quick question did you let your tank cycle before you added fish?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:24 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:Honest mate. People try to over complicate it. It's really easy to keep fish once you know what your doing

Quick question did you let your tank cycle before you added fish?
Yes, I cycled the tank for about 6 weeks. I only added 9 neons and 3 cory cats to begin with and then added 4 barbs, 3 more cory cats and 3 guppies a week later. I'll give it a few more weeks before I add more to ensure my filter is keeping up.

The lighting I've got is supposed to be good for plants, so I'll be good to go when I'm ready. When i get round to it I'll be putting a timer on the light so they get a consistent number of hours each day.

I've been testing twice a week since the fish went in and everything has stayed within recommended ranges. The one thing I need to keep an eye on is temperature. I've the heater switched off as the tank on it's own has kept a steady 26/27. As winter settles in here that might drop, so I'll need to keep any eye out so it doesn't drop quickly.

The only issue I've had is one of the neons got a bit greedy with some bloodworms! Little fella couldn't stay down in the water and kept floating to the top. He was exhausting himself trying to swim down and ended up on his side floating on the surface. He got put in a colander at the bottom of the tank for 36 hours without food and he recovered :D Lesson learnt and I only put half the amount of bloodworms in now.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:04 am

A reserve filter is always handy.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Good advice... always have a spare filter and heater!

Also don't over feed! As you've found out haha. You can't believe how many people over feed. It can cause all sorts of issues. I've always stuck to once every 2 days and never had a problem! I've never really suffered any dieseae break out! Or loss in colour!

Mix it up abit aswell! Flakes(good quality), bloodworm, daphnia even cucumber!

You got me looking out for another now!!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

They're getting a mix of flakes, sinking granules, tablets and bloodworms. It was the bloodworms that nearly did for that neon, the greedy little bugger :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 am

Was cleaning the gravel today and nearly vacuumed up a little baby guppy. Can't find any more so I'm guessing the others were eaten. He looks about 2 weeks old, so is the official tank hide and seek champion :oyea:

Got the little fella in a jug of water until the little baby tank arrives to keep him from being lunch.