US detente with Cuba

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: US detente with Cuba

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:What I find funniest about that is that the Cubans were dirt poor and outrageously exploited by the Americans before Castro took over (thats why the yanks were so pissed off about it all), yet they've managed to persuade people like our good friend a1 that somehow or other it was a land of milk and honey overflowing with the benevolent milk of human kindness that their paternalistic protectors bestowed upon them until the naughty communists spoiled it all.

I wonder if Obama will go the same way as Kennedy for doing it?
The average Cuban is not well off but is considerably better off than than those in the democracies of Dominican Republic, Haiti, Central American republics, etc. While not a demicracy, they have:
- free food vouchers which last about 26 days each month
- a guaranteed (very small) wage in Cuban pesos (Cuban pesos can buy anything except petrol, liquor, tobacco and some luxury items which require convertible tourist pesos)
- Free education up to the University level, especially medical education (the greatest source of foreign exchange is sending their doctors abroad for ten years - especially to Venezuela in exchange for oil).
- Free health care of a very high standard, which also covers tourists.
- Free transport (though somewhat odd).

About six years ago Fidel offered free eye surgery to the 70,000 Americans who could not afford it if the State department would let them come without penalty. The State Department refused.

Most Cubans would render significant services to obtain convertible pesos. Some of the resort staff are, on Bruce's terms, 'fit'. I just tipped them a convertible peso a day for cleaning the room. I never inquired about more expensive services.

Detente is long overdue but presidents have been afraid of a voter backlash, especially from Florida-based Cuban exiles. I am glad Obama finally had the courage to do something, which everyone has known was the right thing since 1991.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: US detente with Cuba

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:57 am

a1 wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:What I find funniest about that is that the Cubans were dirt poor and outrageously exploited by the Americans before Castro took over (thats why the yanks were so pissed off about it all), yet they've managed to persuade people like our good friend a1 that somehow or other it was a land of milk and honey overflowing with the benevolent milk of human kindness that their paternalistic protectors bestowed upon them until the naughty communists spoiled it all.

I wonder if Obama will go the same way as Kennedy for doing it?
yeah but

"more vegetables or eat my pet pig for my birthday present ?"

is a true story, from the 80s, i'm guessing, maybe the 90s.

if obama's gonna die i'd guess one of these types he's bin bending over for will do it rather than some cowboy gun secessionist type.

lee harvey oswald was a former communist probably read a karl marx book halfway through. regicide presidential assasination is one of them things i'd never think anyone would be favorite for. unexpected slight edge to the 'own side' maybe.

and i'd find out fidel's bank balance for a laugh too.
Sorry, what?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.