Politics, The Election May 2015

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
30%
Conservatives
30%
Liberal Democrats
5%
UKIP
15%
Green Party
13%
SNP
3%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 40

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Politics, The Election May 2015

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:03 pm

thebish wrote:yet another non-sequiteur! you're on a roll! :-)
You should look in the mirror for the one making invalid arguments. UKIP is not as you say falling apart, you are just as bad as the Sturgeon groupies.
Lets take Ms Sturgeons plan to spend £180 billion without telling anyone where the money would come from, if Farage had done that the world would implode. I don't see any plans for UKIP to break up the Union, wee jimmy has.
The woman is clearly anti democratic, in one of the worlds oldest democracies she now wants any referendum to be split by country, does she really expect membership if England leaves? Clearly a clown, a clown who fecked up with her economics during the Scottish referendum.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Farage getting his way leads to the break up of the UK as much as if Sturgeon does. Scots voted to stay in a UK in the EU. I wouldn't hold my breath if the decision was to stay in the UK outside of the EU.

I don't think he'll get more than 5 seats.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:yet another non-sequiteur! you're on a roll! :-)
You should look in the mirror for the one making invalid arguments. UKIP is not as you say falling apart,
I didn't say UKIP is falling apart - you made that up, I said that Farage sounded like a tired old broken record and like yesterday's man...

like it or not - Sturgeon is the lady of the moment - she's stolen Nige's chips!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:Farage getting his way leads to the break up of the UK as much as if Sturgeon does. Scots voted to stay in a UK in the EU. I wouldn't hold my breath if the decision was to stay in the UK outside of the EU.

I don't think he'll get more than 5 seats.
Oh I see, the Scottish referendum was not a vote on an independent Scotland then but a Scottish version of an EU referendum :crazy:
I am firmly in the Jocks to go camp with English money turned off and import tariffs introduced.
I wonder, with the crash in oil prices and the promised exit of big business how long it would be before Salmond and Sturgeon would be hanging side by side from the walls of Edinburgh castle, lynched by the few who had stayed on in little independent Scotland.
Just as aside given the land mass and open space in Scotland, how many Syrian refugees did Sturgeon say they would take and pay for?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:45 pm

David Cameron urges Conservative defectors to Ukip to vote for Tories
Why are you worried Dave? According to Pru and the bish no one is going to vote for UKIP :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Hoboh wrote:
David Cameron urges Conservative defectors to Ukip to vote for Tories
Why are you worried Dave? According to Pru and the bish no one is going to vote for UKIP :mrgreen:
for the record - neither Pru nor Bish said any such thing... (unless you have some quotes lined up? thought not...)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm a proper geek for the electoral maths; I love it!

Working on the basis that 323 is enough for a working majority (though there are rumours Sinn Fein might actually take their seats if the DUP are involved in govt, and, it would be quite funny to see Bercow stick 2 fingers up after the attempted putch and not abstain - though both seem unlikely to me):

Latest poll had:

Tories 278
Labour 267
SNP 54
Lib Dems 25
UKIP 3
Green 1
Other 22 (18 in NI; Gorgeous George, Libel Man; and 3 Plaid Cymru)

That would leave a Labour/SNP alliance only 3 short (so Plaid Cymru perhaps, though maybe not given how much they fight Labour in Wales) or surely 3 from elsewhere. Would take some whipping for the Lib Dems to stop 3 of their more lefty SDP types bunking off after they've just been halved and Clegg was gone/hanging on. The oft-fabled "progressive coalition", anybody?

And, for all the talk from the Tories and Lib Dems about whether they'll get together again, they'll be 20 short with no more allies (it's Lib Dems OR UKIP for them, surely).

I also think whichever one of the big two doesn't end up in govt is going to be screwed (the Tories might be OK if they go with Boris, but then we're into surrealism in politics). The queue of successors for both is fecking dismal.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... t-50061880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christ on a bike, on the third day he rose from the dead!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm hoping the polling companies do somewhat better this time around after the humiliation at the last GE. They were miles off. I'd be amazed if the Lib Dems got 25 seats, I suspect they could be down to 12 or slightly less, but even so, that won't affect the dark threat of the SNP/PC making up a coalition with Millibean. For me, that's a terrifying proposition.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I'm hoping the polling companies do somewhat better this time around after the humiliation at the last GE. They were miles off. I'd be amazed if the Lib Dems got 25 seats, I suspect they could be down to 12 or slightly less, but even so, that won't affect the dark threat of the SNP/PC making up a coalition with Millibean. For me, that's a terrifying proposition.

I'd much rather that than tory/ukip/DUP...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Is there anything left of the state to sell off anyway? So what would it matter?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Is there anything left of the state to sell off anyway? So what would it matter?
Scotland ... it seems.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:03 pm

I think we should sell Kent to the French...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:44 pm

What, Le Jardin D'Angleterre?!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:What, Le Jardin D'Angleterre?!
aye - they can use it for boules tournaments...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Too late, I believe it's already largely kurdish. If you believe Nigel.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:21 pm

The Queen of Scots has let the cat out of the bag.
Q: Will the SNP continue to campaign for full independence despite the referendum result?

Sturgeon says she is not going to pretend she does not still want independence. But she respects the result of the referendum.

This is a Westminster election. If the SNP win, that does not mean there will be another referendum.

Q: What about after 2016?

That’s another matter, says Sturgeon. Let’s fight one election at a time.

This generates some jeers from the audience.

Q: You said it would not happen again for a generation. Will you respect that?

Sturgeon says if the people of Scotland do not vote for a party pledging a referendum, there won’t be a referendum.
Be as well to heed what happened to the last on Ms Sturgeon
"On February 7, 1587, the representatives of the English Queen, reached the Castle of Fotheringay, where the Queen of Scotland was confined at that time, between two and three o'clock in the afternoon. In the presence of her jailer, Paulet, they read their commission regarding the execution of the prisoner, and said that they would proceed with their task the next morning between seven and eight o'clock. The jailer was then ordered to have everything in readiness.

Without betraying any astonishment, the Queen thanked them for their good news, saying that nothing could be more welcome to her, since she longed for an end to her miseries, and had been prepared for death ever since she had been sent as a prisoner to England. However, she begged the envoys to give her a little time in which to make herself ready, make her will, and place her affairs in order. It was within their power and discretion to grant these requests. The Count of Shrewsbury replied rudely:

'No, no, Madam you must die, you must die! Be ready between seven and eight in the morning. It cannot be delayed a moment beyond that time.' "

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 am

thebish wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I'm hoping the polling companies do somewhat better this time around after the humiliation at the last GE. They were miles off. I'd be amazed if the Lib Dems got 25 seats, I suspect they could be down to 12 or slightly less, but even so, that won't affect the dark threat of the SNP/PC making up a coalition with Millibean. For me, that's a terrifying proposition.

I'd much rather that than tory/ukip/DUP...
I'm sure Putin would agree with you. And Merkel. And ISIS. I just don't see Ed as a credible leader. Frankly, Unison and their compatriot unions have shafted Labour. The younger Milliband would have had a landslide this time round methinks.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:58 am

What is this "credible leader" bollocks? It's the equivalent to "pashun" in football. We're not electing a f*cking poker player. What's Putin going to do, steal his lunch money?

If we do need a big-man leader, that's going well with DC isn't it? Cream tea and cricket hasn't stopped Putin flying his planes over us.

They should put me in charge, I'd shoot one of the f*ckers down. I mean, there might be WWIII, but at least we'd have a credible leader, yeah.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:26 pm

We consistently hit above our weight as a small island nation. That's why the city makes so much money, why we have a seat at the table at the G7 and UN Security Council. Those things won't change with Milliband, but I suspect our international standing would suffer from having someone as PM who frankly, is a bit of a wet lettuce. And that's being kind.

The term 'Credible leader' isn't bollicks. Industry need them, public services need them (But don't often have them) and nation states need them to maintain the status of the nation at the world's bargaining tables. I'm not a huge DC fan, but he holds his own on the world stage. I just can't see Ed doing that, but then, part of the SNP's agreement to sharing power may well mean the Jimmy Krankie lookalike being PM, which would be a far better bet in that one respect.