2015 Ashes

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: 2015 Ashes

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:35 pm

thebish wrote:up steps stokes...
Which isn't easy to say !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:36 pm

all chip in with wickets and all chip in with the runs, that's they way to win a series

job not done yet though, lets do it tomorrow

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Been impressed with all our bowling including Wood and Stokes. We need to get a grip of no balls though, two wickets lost through them today. Good all round team performance but fair do's to Mitch Starc, his bowling was magnificent today. Tough to bowl so well and be on the losing side. Plaudits to him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Been impressed with all our bowling including Wood and Stokes. We need to get a grip of no balls though, two wickets lost through them today. Good all round team performance but fair do's to Mitch Starc, his bowling was magnificent today. Tough to bowl so well and be on the losing side. Plaudits to him.
it's partly to do with the referral system... umpires, in the main (with the possible exception of Ali Dar in this test!) are not really calling no balls anymore - probably cos they know that they will be picked up whenever a wicket falls anyway as it is automatically checked...

consequently, a bowler gets no warning that he is starting to no-ball and so doesn't adjust his run-up accordingly - it is only ever pointed out to him when it's a disaster!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:31 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Been impressed with all our bowling including Wood and Stokes. We need to get a grip of no balls though, two wickets lost through them today. Good all round team performance but fair do's to Mitch Starc, his bowling was magnificent today. Tough to bowl so well and be on the losing side. Plaudits to him.
it's partly to do with the referral system... umpires, in the main (with the possible exception of Ali Dar in this test!) are not really calling no balls anymore - probably cos they know that they will be picked up whenever a wicket falls anyway as it is automatically checked...

consequently, a bowler gets no warning that he is starting to no-ball and so doesn't adjust his run-up accordingly - it is only ever pointed out to him when it's a disaster!
Some bowlers seem prone to it more than others.

Something to stamp out, pardon the pun, because it could become costly sometime or other.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Should a bowler be given a warning that they are nearing a no ball?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Just catching up with it all now. Absolutely made up for Ben Stokes with a five-for. And to think, we were all a little concerned going into this one without Jimmy. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:14 pm

jaffka wrote:Should a bowler be given a warning that they are nearing a no ball?
no. but in the olden days an umpire would call one whenever it happened - and the chances were it wouldn't be when a wicket was taken - so the bowler would be aware he was doing it and adjust his run up.

nowadays the first time he knows is when it's checked as a wicket falls - he might have been no-balling for a few overs and not know.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 pm

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:Should a bowler be given a warning that they are nearing a no ball?
no. but in the olden days an umpire would call one whenever it happened - and the chances were it wouldn't be when a wicket was taken - so the bowler would be aware he was doing it and adjust his run up.

nowadays the first time he knows is when it's checked as a wicket falls - he might have been no-balling for a few overs and not know.
im well aware of the olden days and that was countered by the batsman asking why the umpire was favouring the bowler and depriving the batting team of a run

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 pm

^^ they got a run ... an extra for the no-ball .... and any runs scored ... and an extra ball didn't they ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ they got a run ... an extra for the no-ball .... and any runs scored ... and an extra ball didn't they ?
aye - they did... some batsmen were quick enough to see the no-ball called and adjust their stroke to a have (essentially) a free-hit for a boundary..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Out but a no ball...

Everything going very wrong for England here.
Mate - If they post 450 we've still got a full innings to pick off, what? 120?

Chin up, man. :)
Yes of course the game position is in our favour. If they carry on scoring like this though very quickly they could turn it around.
Dude, get out. They were done for 60 first innings. I'll stick the cursiest cursey curse curse on this. No-one even draws from there. Ashes were won 6 balls into this test!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Out but a no ball...

Everything going very wrong for England here.
Mate - If they post 450 we've still got a full innings to pick off, what? 120?

Chin up, man. :)
Yes of course the game position is in our favour. If they carry on scoring like this though very quickly they could turn it around.
Dude, get out. They were done for 60 first innings. I'll stick the cursiest cursey curse curse on this. No-one even draws from there. Ashes were won 6 balls into this test!
The ocean beckons for BWFC-I on this one. STRAIGHT IN!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:12 am

Ach, the openers looked comfortable. Thankfully Warner threw it away. I wasn't suggesting we'd lose, just that we had to be careful not to throw them away.

Anyhow if I see a sea Bruce I will be sure to dive straight in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ach, the openers looked comfortable. Thankfully Warner threw it away. I wasn't suggesting we'd lose, just that we had to be careful not to throw them away.

I'm not having our magnificent display spoiled by suggesting it was down to the Aussie fault in some way. Like I often say, sportsmen aren't robots. If they were, what would be he point of playing if everybody was perfect? Everybody is prone to error occasionaly but our bowler pressure and skill level surely deserves the credit for this one. Well done us. :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Ach, the openers looked comfortable. Thankfully Warner threw it away. I wasn't suggesting we'd lose, just that we had to be careful not to throw them away.

I'm not having our magnificent display spoiled by suggesting it was down to the Aussie fault in some way. Like I often say, sportsmen aren't robots. If they were, what would be he point of playing if everybody was perfect? Everybody is prone to error occasionaly but our bowler pressure and skill level surely deserves the credit for this one. Well done us. :oyea:
Personally I find it quite funny that the Aussies have contributed to their own downfall. They are just so poor at batting if the ball does anything beyond the norm.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:45 am

Lol Australia.
Well in England, job done.
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:57 am

Fantastic. Great team performance and some incredible personal ones. Well done England. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:01 pm

BREAKING NEWS: PIERS MORGAN IS ELECTED POPE :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Feel a bit sorry for Michael Clarke now. Clearly a decent guy whose pride's just taken an absolute pounding!