The Open 2015

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

The Open 2015

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 am

Tiger = two over after three. I think I could possibly manage that! :hang:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Open 2015

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:09 am

They're shooting the lights out this morning.

All my bets are off in the afternoon (apart from Paul Lawrie). Now, I like a long shot, but those odds are looking worse by the minute! :evil:

Links golf is so damned expensive, I reckon I'd be great at it (if the rough is low).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Golf on TV, cricket on pc. I've assured the wife it won't rain before I mow the lawn....tomorrow. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Might cash out on Lawrie... ae:)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Might cash out on Lawrie... ae:)
Didn't manage to get mine on but I was going to go for a Fiver on Spieth to win, and my usual Fiver each way on Garcia.

Might stick it on later, minus Garcia ;)

I see that Thomas Bjorn's played his usual game; 4 under at the turn and 2 over on the back 9.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:Might cash out on Lawrie... ae:)
Didn't manage to get mine on but I was going to go for a Fiver on Spieth to win, and my usual Fiver each way on Garcia.

Might stick it on later, minus Garcia ;)

I see that Thomas Bjorn's played his usual game; 4 under at the turn and 2 over on the back 9.
Might cash out on Langer... ae:)

Haha, got decent odds for Bernhard each way. Others were Senden, Jaidee and Jimenez - old heads with skilled wedge games. Forgot to back Zach Johnson. I bet in hope more than anticipation.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Scotland's given them the full range of weather. Wind's eased off but now it's lashing down with rain.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Six players on 10 under, six on 9 under. :shock:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

What remarkable and absorbing tournament this has been so far. An amateur atop the leaderboard - I couldn't remember that happening and now I know why - the last was Bobby Jones in 1927. Poor Dustin - the man Azinger kept telling me would eat up the course and it ate him. Paul Dunne was interviewed by ESPN after his round and he fielded silly questions comparing him to Bobby Jones well. He was then asked when he first realized he was atop the leaderboard. He replied at 8.30 Thursday morning when he birdied the first two holes in the first round! Can anyone beat Spieth - I hope so.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:What remarkable and absorbing tournament this has been so far. An amateur atop the leaderboard - I couldn't remember that happening and now I know why - the last was Bobby Jones in 1927. Poor Dustin - the man Azinger kept telling me would eat up the course and it ate him. Paul Dunne was interviewed by ESPN after his round and he fielded silly questions comparing him to Bobby Jones well. He was then asked when he first realized he was atop the leaderboard. He replied at 8.30 Thursday morning when he birdied the first two holes in the first round! Can anyone beat Spieth - I hope so.
Where you on holiday that weekend? :D
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Can anyone beat Spieth - I hope so.
Only one I can see doing that is himself, and that's unlikely. He has the complete game, tee to green and putting. I f he holds his nerve he should win easy enough. Terrific golfer and young enough to go on for years. Good to see David Duval and Jim Furyk still playing very good golf.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:05 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Only one I can see doing that is himself, and that's unlikely. He has the complete game, tee to green and putting. I f he holds his nerve he should win easy enough. Terrific golfer and young enough to go on for years. Good to see David Duval and Jim Furyk still playing very good golf.
Don't rule out Jason Day yet - he's looking pretty good. Former champs like Louis and Padraig may have a say. I would love Paul Dunne to win and he is out last with Louis - they got on well today so there may less pressure than for Day and Spieth in the penultimate pairing. Justin Rose and Sergio could still have a say....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't rule out Jason Day yet - he's looking pretty good. Former champs like Louis and Padraig may have a say. I would love Paul Dunne to win and he is out last with Louis - they got on well today so there may less pressure than for Day and Spieth in the penultimate pairing. Justin Rose and Sergio could still have a say....
No argument with that Monty, but nerves play a big part and young Spieth has already shown he can cope in winning the big ones. Seven birdies today in 18 holes? I'd love a Brit to win and Willet is our best hope, but he threw a couple of back to back bogies in today. Rose is one of our best, and the Irish amateur lad is a real talent. Let's face it, anything can happen. I still can't believe these scores at St Andrews.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:14 am

If The Open is truly 'Open', then how come an amateur, should he win, not be allowed to pick up the prize money?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:If The Open is truly 'Open', then how come an amateur, should he win, not be allowed to pick up the prize money?
Probably summat to do with the amateur status. Pros are paid and amateurs are not and prize money is technically payment.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am

just to add that I know nowt about golf aside from the hitting a ball in the whole with a stick thingy :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If The Open is truly 'Open', then how come an amateur, should he win, not be allowed to pick up the prize money?
Professionals play for money and they all get some. Amateurs play for love and keep their fingers crossed.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm also sure the inevitable sponsorship deals that Dunne, Chesters, Schniederjans and Niebruggie will more than make up for the money too!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Yes, yes, I know all that. However, if there is a prize on offer to the winner then that's what should happen.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Completely agree ^^