Golf thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Golf thread

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:13 am

ok, I know a few people play on here and have held comps before, but just wanted to start a general golf thread as i couldn't find one before.

I've very recently got into it. I mentioned in months' past that I went back home and my friends happened to be doing a golf tourney at Hart Common, and I was asked to join. Even though I was using right-handed clubs (I'm cack-handed) and spent most of the day hacking for a round of 130 or so, I did enjoy it. So, since i've gone to the US i've bought some lefty irons and hit the range, looking to play some courses soon. Really enjoying time at the range atm, trying to learn and even though i'm hitting duffers a fair few times, things are definitely improving, both in quality and enjoyment.

Anyway, just wondering who else plays, handicaps if applicable, clubs, tips, etc etc....
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Golf thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 am

Magnificent sport (even if it is the most frustrating pastime on the planet and it is possible to get worse with age ) Stick with it. Brillance and rubbish with the strong emphasis on the latter is the norm. Walter Mitty visitations of delusion and that little red demon that calls you Sevy halfway up your backswing are quite normal. Great sport for stopping you getting ahead of yourself....FORE...! :oyea:

p.s. Let it be known quite early to family and friends that golf balls are very acceptable presents. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Played my local course last night. The greens were rock hard. No problem getting from tee to green, only to end up chasing the bastard thing all around them!
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Where's your local, Bruce? My parents live about two minutes from Farnworth and Great Lever, which seemed quite a nice course. Hart Common is as well, though so undulating.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Magnificent sport (even if it is the most frustrating pastime on the planet and it is possible to get worse with age ) Stick with it. Brillance and rubbish with the strong emphasis on the latter is the norm. Walter Mitty visitations of delusion and that little red demon that calls you Sevy halfway up your backswing are quite normal. Great sport for stopping you getting ahead of yourself....FORE...! :oyea:

p.s. Let it be known quite early to family and friends that golf balls are very acceptable presents. :wink:
Indeed. I can see it draining a bit of my disposable income through lost balls. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:15 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Where's your local, Bruce? My parents live about two minutes from Farnworth and Great Lever, which seemed quite a nice course. Hart Common is as well, though so undulating.
Harwood, Keyser. A real course of two entirely different sets on nine holes. The first nine you work widthways down one side of the valley and up the other. Plenty of undulation and some of the most difficult greens I've ever played (not just because they were rock hard last night). Then, over the road for the second nine. Flat as a pancake but long (one hole's 600 yards and there's a 200 yard par three). Greens much the same though. A bit like putting on a giant, dented biscuit tin lid. Beautiful course with stunning views from its higher holes and very well maintained. Some water and there's a ravine that runs across some of the back nine. Not too many bunkers either, which is nice, and none of them are overly onerous.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:49 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Where's your local, Bruce? My parents live about two minutes from Farnworth and Great Lever, which seemed quite a nice course. Hart Common is as well, though so undulating.
Quite like Hart Common for a muni...pretty good. Some long walks if you're not hitting straight though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Quite like Hart Common for a muni...pretty good. Some long walks if you're not hitting straight though.
Found the locals at Hart Common to be the most unreceptive bunch of absolute wankers that I've encountered anywhere. So they can fund their own shithouse course themselves, the bunch of 4uckwits! And that's that!
:D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Found the locals at Hart Common to be the most unreceptive bunch of absolute wankers that I've encountered anywhere. So they can fund their own shithouse course themselves, the bunch of 4uckwits! And that's that!
:D
Didn't notice them being a particular problem, to be honest. Got to say Golf Clubhouses are at the top of my "places I don't like to drink in" list, with at the absolute pinnacle, Blackburn GC.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:13 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Magnificent sport (even if it is the most frustrating pastime on the planet and it is possible to get worse with age ) Stick with it. Brillance and rubbish with the strong emphasis on the latter is the norm. Walter Mitty visitations of delusion and that little red demon that calls you Sevy halfway up your backswing are quite normal. Great sport for stopping you getting ahead of yourself....FORE...! :oyea:

:lol: oh indeed! I "played" for about six years when I was a teenager. Great sport for venting that adolescent anger! I was absolutely wank though.

Finally got to a handicap of about 34 at my peak. The final straw was being 17 years old going round in the last foursome with all the 12 year olds just starting out and them still beating me. I bet I taught them some new words though!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 pm

I play when I can and I'm happy to play anywhere. I work in the High Peak so there's plenty of courses around there. Disley, Chapel, Pott Shrigley and on the way back to Manchester there's Davenport & Hazel Grove and countless others that weave alongside the Mersey. Bit further over into Macc there's Tytherington and then over into Wilmslow there's Mottram. No shortage of good courses and usually a deal on somewhere.

I'm playing at Hart Common in two weeks time with my girlfriend's dad (she's from Ashton-i-M so Westhoughton seems an OK-ISH mid-way point from where I live in Manchester - plus it's a course I've not played so that's a bonus). Looking forward to it.

Got some nice new bats recently and I'm playing the best I've ever played. My putting has always been a weak point. I can't seem to replicate a position or stance over the ball - or grip on the club. Hence it rarely does what I want!

Still, if the suns out, it's a great escape (if the course is empty and you're not behind a few groups of absolute hackers).

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:45 pm

My dad and Grandpa both played there KS, my local too. However I am dreadful so wouldn't want to tarnish the family name by playing there. (they both played off +4) Might have a bash on the driving range this week just to confirm I'm still rubbish!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:40 am

Haha, you certainly wouldn't be the worst person to have played there Lever given how i got on there in the summer! Though tbf 4-handicapper is quite a lot to live up to! I was playing with a friend who's around that handicap, and i guy who was off about 12. I might as well have been playing a different game!

Hitting my short irons quite nicely now, but still struggling for decent contact on anything from 6 down. Just feels a lot harder. Also need to stop trying to leather it through the downswing despite knowing that i shouldn't do that :/

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:47 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Haha, you certainly wouldn't be the worst person to have played there Lever given how i got on there in the summer! Though tbf 4-handicapper is quite a lot to live up to! I was playing with a friend who's around that handicap, and i guy who was off about 12. I might as well have been playing a different game!

Hitting my short irons quite nicely now, but still struggling for decent contact on anything from 6 down. Just feels a lot harder. Also need to stop trying to leather it through the downswing despite knowing that i shouldn't do that :/
Don't bend your left elbow (assuming you are a righty) on the back swing. Don't grip the club hard. Get the downswing speed from snapping your wrists at the top. Keep your head still watching the ball until (what seems like) two seconds after you have hit it. Relax. That's all there is to it (at least at first).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:57 am

It's all so much easier written down... :D

Ta monty. I could definitely do with the relaxing bit and the wrist bit - I'm conscious my right elbow (i'm a lefty) is collapsing sometimes and am working on that. But yeah definitely the wrists need work, I don't seem to flex them particularly well.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:46 pm

LeverEnd wrote:My dad and Grandpa both played there KS........ ..........(they both played off +4)
Nuff respect!

Good luck with the golf KeyserSoze, let me know once you've got the game beat.

:help:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 pm

We appear to have let the TW Open wither on the vine (usually due to the difficulty in getting us all in the same place at the same time, as I recall). I'm prepared to give it another go if others are up for it?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:50 pm

you bet!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 pm

The connecting thread of my recent round britain jaunt was ancient places of pilgrimage... so I included st Andrew's - being as it was once a massive draw for pilgrims from all over the world coming to see alleged relics of the apostle Andrew...

I wandered around the ruins of the once MASSIVE cathedral and was left feeling totally cold by it all - until I saw that more and more people (in ones and twos - but a reasonably steady stream) were standing by a large white grave/monument in the graveyard... I went closer for a look.. this was it... in fact - it is two graves..

people were leaving golf tees on the memorial...

It is a significant place of pilgrimage for golfers who come to see the graves of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris. Their stories are fascinating (and young Tom's is tragic)

here is a fab pic of them together - not long before young Tom died...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 pm

The R&A clubhouse looks much the same, though it's had a 2nd story added above the big bay window. The Links looks to have seen some development since this time though.

I've taken to leaving my watch chain in the locker of late.

I'd be up for a knock if it tied in with a home game.

"Fore!"