Golf thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Golf thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:20 am

A first for me today. Off to play Turton - a course I've wanted to play for years. I'll let you know how it goes.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:24 am

May the golfing gods smile on you bruce!

horrific day at the range yesterday, felt like 1 step forwards followed by 200 steps back. Chunked everything and caught barely anything on the sweet spot. Calmness needed.

On another note, well done to Jason Day today, finally got the major his ability has long-merited. Additionally, Spieth goes to number one, a spot I reckon he will occupy for a long, long time to come. The guy is a machine.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 am

Chaps. Should you ever get an opportunity to play Turton - Do. OK, we landed very fortunate with the weather on what must've been the best morning of the year, but the course is absolutely stunning, and a test with doglegs all over the track. It's as much a test of mental agility as it is of golfing ability. Loads of risk and reward holes. On the front nine you basically work your way up the hill so that when you reach the ninth tee the views are absolutely spectacular. We reckoned that we could see five counties from there. Generally generous fairways but the rough's up, so you're fecked if you miss them. Some water on the course but it shouldn't really come into play. A very well maintained and managed course. The greens aren't easy, but then they're not too difficult either. Smug Bollocks here sank one from 25 feet (but also missed one from two :oops:)

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 am

I wish I didn't sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but watching pro-golf is so boring. I wish they'd just step up, assess everything real quick (yardage & wind) and hit the damn bastard. Last night's winner is one of the worst for it. Visualising the shot. Painting a mental image of the ball flight. Just fecking cream the little bastard, you've done it enough times not to worry about it going 40 yards off line!

Can't deny he's played well in the Majors before - just bottled it occasionally (who leaves a downhill birdie putt short at St.Andrews when you need it to potentially make a play-off?).

Spieth is an incredible talent. Probably the best putter since Woods when Woods was wrapping everything up like it was nothing. Also nice to see him appreciate Day's lag putt on 17 last night. Nice touch!

No more Majors til April. :(

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Chaps. Should you ever get an opportunity to play Turton - Do. OK, we landed very fortunate with the weather on what must've been the best morning of the year, but the course is absolutely stunning, and a test with doglegs all over the track. It's as much a test of mental agility as it is of golfing ability. Loads of risk and reward holes. On the front nine you basically work your way up the hill so that when you reach the ninth tee the views are absolutely spectacular. We reckoned that we could see five counties from there. Generally generous fairways but the rough's up, so you're fecked if you miss them. Some water on the course but it shouldn't really come into play. A very well maintained and managed course. The greens aren't easy, but then they're not too difficult either. Smug Bollocks here sank one from 25 feet (but also missed one from two :oops:)

Oooh I was looking into Turton recently because it's a bit further out from where my old man's just moved to (opposite Canon Slade school). How much was a weekend morning knock?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:52 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:

Oooh I was looking into Turton recently because it's a bit further out from where my old man's just moved to (opposite Canon Slade school). How much was a weekend morning knock?
So your old man lives just round the corner from me then. :)

We booked on TeeTimes at £25 each, which reduced to £22.50 apiece because we'd got a four ball together. Definitely worth that little bit extra. We should do it - let me know when you're around. Does the old man play?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:

We booked on TeeTimes at £25 each, which reduced to £22.50 apiece because we'd got a four ball together. Definitely worth that little bit extra. We should do it - let me know when you're around. Does the old man play?
Nah he's not the sporty type at all. We're off to the Forest game on saturday and I was looking at playing somewhere in the area(ish) before heading up to his for lunch and then the match. Plumped for the muni at Harts Common at 7am - tough to get an early start on a Saturday at a private course because of member's comps!

Most Saturday and Sunday mornings I'm free and I'd be more than happy to make up a 4-ball.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:

Breightmet is a cracking walk for the dog

I never cease to be amazed the effort that goes in to keeping it in nick

Dunno how it plays but they have it looking its best - despite the moles

Just an arse that there's golfers on when I want to give the dog a run
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:42 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: Breightmet is a cracking walk for the dog

I never cease to be amazed the effort that goes in to keeping it in nick

Dunno how it plays but they have it looking its best - despite the moles

Just an arse that there's golfers on when I want to give the dog a run
The problem with Breightmet is that when they re-designed it, it was the single figure handicappers on the comittee that set it out. All well and good if you can hit the fecking thing like John Daly, but your average Joe golfer has to hit the shots of his life you to reach the greens in regulation. Way too long. I believe that it's losing members hand over fist because of this - so your dog walking idyl might not be all that far away.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Problem is, when there's no golfers, it'll not be half as pretty :)

Can believe re the numbers, there's only ever 3 or 4 pairs on maximum after 7

Clubhouse always seems to be shut, too

Have considered getting my sticks out and playing the top end
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:57 pm

The short par 3 anyway!
Sto ut Serviam

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Played at Moshulu Park in the Bronx yesterday. Think I chunked more shots than anyone in the history of the sport.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:46 am

Congratulations, Jason Day, golf's new world No.1.
A good bloke and a fine golfer. I drink to his continued good health. :drink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:32 am

Dujon wrote:Congratulations, Jason Day, golf's new world No.1.
A good bloke and a fine golfer. I drink to his continued good health. :drink:
Hard not to like him and I hope his vertigo is controllable (certainly seemed to be in the last two majors).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:55 am

also - there was a lady-golf thing on this weekend - but - yet more reasons why you shouldn't have lady-versions of sport (if you concede golf is a sport!)
Amidst unprecedented scenes of rancour and uproar that will forever tarnish the 14th Solheim Cup, Europe established a four point lead going into Sunday's singles matches but in circumstances that were truly shameful.

Norway's Suzann Pettersen was the villainess of the piece on Sunday morning, perpetrating an act that went so far beyond the bounds of sportsmanship it left her English team mate Charley Hull in tears, let alone the opposition.

The Americans were outraged, and no-one could blame them. They gathered in the middle of the 18th fairway to vent their feelings. 'Class! Style! USA!' they chanted.
calm down dears! :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:02 am

Suzann Pettersen was well within her rights not to concede the putt. Only the Septics are arrogant enough to simply assume that she had. Bleat all they fecking want!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Suzann Pettersen was well within her rights not to concede the putt. Only the Septics are arrogant enough to simply assume that she had. Bleat all they fecking want!
Unfortunately our lot then bent right over for them and threw away a massive lead.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:10 pm

The Americans were outraged, and no-one could blame them. They gathered in the middle of the 18th fairway to vent their feelings. 'Class! Style! USA!' they chanted.
... & nothing shows class & style more than a bunch of people shouting it out.

I thought the Septics didn't do irony !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 19, 2016 3:00 pm

And I should 4ucking well think so too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36331270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:And I should 4ucking well think so too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36331270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there's a fairway to go on that argument...