Shootings and explosions in Paris this evening

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Shootings and explosions in Paris this evening

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Found all this a bit worrying. More so because I saw it reported not in The Sun, Star or Daily Mail, but in a Birmingham newspaper. It seems it's still a topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-33507650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:I quite liked John Oliver's message to the terrorists:
"If you are in a war of culture and lifestyle with France, good fecking luck. Go ahead, bring your bankrupt ideology. They’ll bring Jean-Paul Sartre, Edith Piaf, fine wine, Gauloise cigarettes, Camus, camembert, madeleines, macarons, and the fecking croquembouche. You just brought a philosophy of rigorous self-abnegation to a pastry fight, my friend."
:oyea:
Actually, they can keep most of that shit!
But not Charles Trenet singing La Mer. We'll have that. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:05 pm

... & meanwhile Corbyn continues to roll about in his very own weird ball of theory above practice. But can't carry his party and now seems to be backing down ... again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34840708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:18 pm

It's in French? And drags on for ever. Nope - they can keep that too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 pm

bobo the clown wrote:... & meanwhile Corbyn continues to roll about in his very own weird ball of theory above practice. But can't carry his party and now seems to be backing down ... again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34840708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He and Benn have never pretended to agree! what gave you that idea? I, for one, think it is quite refreshing for shadow cabinet members to be able to express disagreement rather than all parrot the same scripted mantras... in opposition that's just called being grown up and recognising that people have different ideas and views!

I'd want that any day over a bunch of people merely pretending to agree and having to lie through their teeth... wouldn't you? (clearly not!)

I think the increasing normalisation of a state sponsored extra-judicial killing policy IS worth debating - whether with guns or drones... I welcome debate over such matters - it's how healthy democracies work.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm

bobo the clown wrote:... & meanwhile Corbyn continues to roll about in his very own weird ball of theory above practice. But can't carry his party and now seems to be backing down ... again.

The only people that Muppet would turn the security services on would be those lucky enough to escape the left wing thought thugs and Marxist enforcers!
The retched brothers would strike with impunity, those who don't agree could be subject to shoot to kill.
God the longer that bad smell remains leader of the labour party, the longer dick head Dave and his motley crew go on screwing us unopposed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 pm

thebish wrote:

He and Benn have never pretended to agree! what gave you that idea? I, for one, think it is quite refreshing for shadow cabinet members to be able to express disagreement rather than all parrot the same scripted mantras... in opposition that's just called being grown up and recognising that people have different ideas and views!

I'd want that any day over a bunch of people merely pretending to agree and having to lie through their teeth... wouldn't you? (clearly not!)

I think the increasing normalisation of a state sponsored extra-judicial killing policy IS worth carrying out - whether with guns or drones... I welcome action over such matters - it's how safe democracies work.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Hoboh wrote:

The only people that Muppet would turn the security services on would be those lucky enough to escape the left wing thought thugs and Marxist enforcers!
The retched brothers would strike with impunity, those who don't agree could be subject to shoot to kill.
God the longer that bad smell remains leader of the labour party, the longer dick head Dave and his motley crew go on screwing us unopposed.
A day out on planet hoboh...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... LAodqHIK5A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Germany v Holland called off. A van full of weapons and explosives found close to the ground, apparently. I have a fecking horrible feeling about tonight.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Aye he's not covered himself in glory here has he? He's a bloke I've always admired but he doesn't get his views across very well imo and the Beeb made him look pretty silly yesterday. I heard George Galloway on Radio 2 this afternoon espousing the same views as Corbyn but he came across with real conviction. Corbyn is starting to sound like a befuddled vicar
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Aye he's not covered himself in glory here has he? He's a bloke I've always admired but he doesn't get his views across very well imo and the Beeb made him look pretty silly yesterday. I heard George Galloway on Radio 2 this afternoon espousing the same views as Corbyn but he came across with real conviction. Corbyn is starting to sound like a befuddled vicar

I kinda get what you mean - but I think I'd still want someone who thought it through deeply than someone who rushed off and did what he thought the popular thing might be regardless of its impact... and - nowt wrong with befuddled vicars! :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:21 pm

^ :D aye, no offence intended.

Its odd that on the one hand, I like that he's a different kind of politician and not subject to spin but on the other I'd prefer it if he was a little more polished with his presentation :?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 pm

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:24 am

Isn't any point of view "theory above practice"? Those who are happy for the police to shoot folk they think are dangerous have a theory, but if the practice leads to an innocent being killed or injured the popular theory quickly changes. Until the next terrorist activity and so forth....

It isn't like either side of that argument is wrong. Both are theoretical points of view that rely on certain practice being carried out. The reality is that in practice there will be major issues either way. And down the line it is hard to predict which way the events will unfold.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Isn't any point of view "theory above practice"? Those who are happy for the police to shoot folk they think are dangerous have a theory, but if the practice leads to an innocent being killed or injured the popular theory quickly changes. Until the next terrorist activity and so forth....

It isn't like either side of that argument is wrong. Both are theoretical points of view that rely on certain practice being carried out. The reality is that in practice there will be major issues either way. And down the line it is hard to predict which way the events will unfold.
(bobo's not really talking about the issue - it's just a cheap swipe at Corbyn! the linked article contains nothing about Corbyn "backing down" and just says what we already know - that Corbyn and Benn have different views - we knew that when he appointed Benn as did Benn and Corbyn - but - a bit like grownups - they found a way to work together despite their differences...)

if bobo was THAT bothered by politicians "backing down" from previous statements, he'd find plenty to say about Cameron - not least his clear pre-election promise not to reduce tax credits... but - weirdly - silence on that one and all the others...

I would much prefer a thoughtful, nuanced response to a "we have to be seen to be doing something - anything! - let's drop some bombs" response... the latter has the illusion of decisiveness - but it's a place we've been before - and the only ones to benefit were the politicians who ordered it - short-term electoral gain...

It is a long time ago now - but I clearly remember being in a very distinct vilified minority campaigning against blair's little project in Iraq... now it's as if EVERYONE always knew it was utter madness and he's a war criminal as if they were not all cheering him on at the time!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:51 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

(bobo's not really talking about the issue - it's just a cheap swipe at Corbyn! the linked article contains nothing about Corbyn "backing down" and just says what we already know - that Corbyn and Benn have different views - we knew that when he appointed Benn as did Benn and Corbyn - but - a bit like grownups - they found a way to work together despite their differences...)

if bobo was THAT bothered by politicians "backing down" from previous statements, he'd find plenty to say about Cameron - not least his clear pre-election promise not to reduce tax credits... but - weirdly - silence on that one and all the others...

I would much prefer a thoughtful, nuanced response to a "we have to be seen to be doing something - anything! - let's drop some bombs" response... the latter has the illusion of decisiveness - but it's a place we've been before - and the only ones to benefit were the politicians who ordered it - short-term electoral gain...

It is a long time ago now - but I clearly remember being in a very distinct vilified minority campaigning against blair's little project in Iraq... now it's as if EVERYONE always knew it was utter madness and he's a war criminal as if they were not all cheering him on at the time!
Better than 'lets go to the UN and get a resolution that means fcuk all but at least we went!
Corbyn is a dangerous, treacherous, scumbag whose spent all his life fecking moaning and being a rebel against anything, friend of the tosser!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:53 am

Hoboh wrote: whose spent all his life fecking moaning and being a rebel against anything,
Good job we don't know anyone else like that! :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:01 am

Hoboh wrote: Better than 'lets go to the UN and get a resolution that means fcuk all but at least we went!

better in what sense of the word "better"?

what is your evidence that Corbyn is "treacherous"?

do you disagree with Corbyn on every opposition stance he has taken? if not - which ones?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:39 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Bob is bothered about a professional stance taker being the Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition.

That he is so used to theoretical stance taking that he can't make coherent actual decisions.

Corbyn did get a shoeing from his MP'S yesterday and he did then decide that he maybe, possibly, just might be thinking differently now.

He's done that a lot in the few weeks that he's been "in charge". I don't mind him fckg up being the leader of Labour .... quite enthused by it to be honest ... but he's showing to be clueless at the actual disciplines of leadership.

I don't see why your bothered. Wasn't your clever plan for his leadership supposed to be for him to be leader for a while, fck it up and then be replaced by a more acceptable face of leftism (Keir Starmer being your choice) ? Jeremy seems to be hurtling toward your preferred solution ... if rather more quickly than you thought.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:40 am

I like Corbyn. A principled and dignified gentleman. I abhor the way people have a go at him for absolutely anything - that business at the Cenotaph being a case in point. In fact, if he wasn't so naive I'd consider voting for him.