The "I just don't get it thread".

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The "I just don't get it thread".

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:08 pm

I didn't suggest it - I was merely taking the argument on your terms - you suggested that ultimately a social attitude change was the answer - i went along with that on your terms just to explore your idea - on your terms - further!

interestingly (to me anyway) - gender dysphoria USED to be thought to be a psychiatric condition (hence the "in your head not your pants" mantra mentioned earlier in the thread.)

whilst the matter isn't settled - and maybe never will be - it is now thought possible that it has a hormonal/genetic cause in the womb... they are not made to feel uncomfortable by "nurture" - society hasn't made them like this... "nature" has...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gender-dys ... auses.aspx

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Get out!!! "It could be ... that" introduces a suggestion! I don't need Noam Chomsky's linguistic know-how to recognise that.

"How did the dinosaurs die?"

"It could be very simply be that a meteor killed them all". <---------- Suggestion!

It might have been a hypothetical suggestion exploring my initial idea, but it was a bobbins one (as I insightfully pointed out with my gay-sex-change argument!). So, there.

I have no quibble with the rest of the above. But I will say that there are many (MANY!) other "gender" issues than the one above, and the "in your head not your pants" mantra is often used for those. In that context I think we're talking about social and as Beefheart suggested personality-based factors.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:Get out!!! "It could be ... that" introduces a suggestion! I don't need Noam Chomsky's linguistic know-how to recognise that.

"How did the dinosaurs die?"

"It could be very simply be that a meteor killed them all". <---------- Suggestion!

It might have been a hypothetical suggestion exploring my initial idea, but it was a bobbins one (as I insightfully pointed out with my gay-sex-change argument!). So, there.

I have no quibble with the rest of the above. But I will say that there are many (MANY!) other "gender" issues than the one above, and the "in your head not your pants" mantra is often used for those. In that context I think we're talking about social and as Beefheart suggested personality-based factors.

well - as you are so clearly well qualified and your analogies are so unerringly apposite - I guess I will have to accept that as very FACT!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:35 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Anyroad, summat else I don't get - I was listening to Woman's Hour on R4 on Monday (don't knock it 'til you've tried it ;) ) and the presenter (I think it was Victoria Derbyshire) was banging on about how she's a committed feminist. Now then, if a bloke was on and he claimed to be something of a misogynist he'd have all Hell to pay, so how does that work then?
is "misogynist" really the male equivalent of "feminist"?? :D

there is, apparently, such a thing as masculism and an extremist version of masculism called "virism"! masculism has its own wiki page - so it must be a thing! :D
Just for Bruce, today is International Men's Day!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Anyroad, summat else I don't get - I was listening to Woman's Hour on R4 on Monday (don't knock it 'til you've tried it ;) ) and the presenter (I think it was Victoria Derbyshire) was banging on about how she's a committed feminist. Now then, if a bloke was on and he claimed to be something of a misogynist he'd have all Hell to pay, so how does that work then?

there is, apparently, such a thing as masculism and an extremist version of masculism called "virism"! masculism has its own wiki page - so it must be a thing! :D
Excellent. I'll get my cock out then. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

These days mate, some woman will come along with one twice as fecking big.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

These days mate, some woman will come along with one twice as fecking big.
Proving that gender isn't in your pants, I guess.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:15 pm

ok - new I Don't Get It theme...

whilst exercising this afternoon on the eliptical trainer I failed to find owt decent to watch on the tellybox - so watched Escape to the Country...

true to form - this couple is ooohing and ahhhing over the fact that the master bedroom has an en-suite toilet/shower/sink...

now - I can understand the attraction of an en-suite to a bachelor, who only has himself to worry about - but to a couple??

lying in bed - all relaxed, reading a book - winding down to sleep, your husband gets up and cracks one out in the en-suite?? the noise... the stench seeping under the door?? why would anyone choose to have that close to the bed?

lying in bed having a much-needed lie-in - the missus gets up and has a shower... why would you want that going on in your bedroom?? :conf:

see also... log-burning fires/beams/a balcony "ooh I can just picture ourselves stood out on the balcony on a summer's night sipping a glass of wine." REALLY??? it's chuffin' the UK missus - you won't be out on the balcony any time soon!!

they chuff about in these remote village areas - everyone seems to think having a neighbour within half a mile is a gross intrusion on their privacy - and everyone seems to think that if there is a river or a lake or a canal or a puddle within 2miles - all the visiting grandchildren will drown!!

also - there are two of us - but we need 4 bedrooms as a minimum and two good sized reception rooms and a HUUUUUUGE feck-off kitchen!

yet NOBODY ever asks what the broadband signal is like in the viallge or if they have fibre-optic!

on reflection - maybe i should have gone for the angry thread! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:54 pm

^ Similarly. three-story houses squeezed onto a footprint the size of a small cottage. The feck* tried to sell me one up Harpers Lane. Why the feck would anyone want to cart hot food up a flight of stairs?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:01 pm

thebish wrote:ok - new I Don't Get It theme...

whilst exercising this afternoon on the eliptical trainer I failed to find owt decent to watch on the tellybox - so watched Escape to the Country...

true to form - this couple is ooohing and ahhhing over the fact that the master bedroom has an en-suite toilet/shower/sink...

now - I can understand the attraction of an en-suite to a bachelor, who only has himself to worry about - but to a couple??

lying in bed - all relaxed, reading a book - winding down to sleep, your husband gets up and cracks one out in the en-suite?? the noise... the stench seeping under the door?? why would anyone choose to have that close to the bed?

lying in bed having a much-needed lie-in - the missus gets up and has a shower... why would you want that going on in your bedroom?? :conf:

see also... log-burning fires/beams/a balcony "ooh I can just picture ourselves stood out on the balcony on a summer's night sipping a glass of wine." REALLY??? it's chuffin' the UK missus - you won't be out on the balcony any time soon!!

they chuff about in these remote village areas - everyone seems to think having a neighbour within half a mile is a gross intrusion on their privacy - and everyone seems to think that if there is a river or a lake or a canal or a puddle within 2miles - all the visiting grandchildren will drown!!

also - there are two of us - but we need 4 bedrooms as a minimum and two good sized reception rooms and a HUUUUUUGE feck-off kitchen!

yet NOBODY ever asks what the broadband signal is like in the viallge or if they have fibre-optic!

on reflection - maybe i should have gone for the angry thread! :D
A lot currently running are from 2009, I wonder how much the £525,000 pad would knock them back now? Houses on prime property over half a mill are hanging about for some time at the moment.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Now I get your point, but I do love an en suite bathroom snd my Danish log burner is possibly the best thing I've ever spent money on. I'm all toasty whilst typing this.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:^ Similarly. three-story houses squeezed onto a footprint the size of a small cottage. The feck tried to sell me one up Harpers Lane. Why the feck would anyone want to cart hot food up a flight of stairs?
I used to live near there... (back when that was probably actually a small cottage!)

I lived on Bennets Lane...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:19 pm

It has a shower in it that the kids can't get to at the same time as me. That'll do for me, thanks.

Oh, and if there's one thing guaranteed to get the missus out of bed to put the kettle on, it's the husband cracking one out after a madras.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:20 pm

I'm told that Billy Bragg has a HUGE en-suite too!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:31 pm

A bathroom each. I've given you this solution before ... you scoffed. I was right.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:35 pm

bobo the clown wrote:A bathroom each. I've given you this solution before ... you scoffed. I was right.
Bobo IS Billy Bragg!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 am

Foreigners assigning a gender to a word. When something new like the internet came along, who decides whether it should be Le internet or La internet?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:50 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Foreigners assigning a gender to a word. When something new like the internet came along, who decides whether it should be Le internet or La internet?
They would probably go with L'Internet.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:38 am

What if the word is transgender?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:45 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Foreigners assigning a gender to a word. When something new like the internet came along, who decides whether it should be Le internet or La internet?
The Academie Francaise is who! I want that job.

Also, for reasons I've never quite understood, whilst "internet" is masculine (obviously) you hardly ever see it with an article. It's just "internet".

Also, fyi, French for "WiFi" is still "WiFi", but it's pronounced "le wiffy". Always got a giggle from me.