"Must See" Places in the UK

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Must See" Places in the UK

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Clearly worth visiting Burton Bradstock in West Dorset.

You can see Billy Bragg's house from there.
Is it literally a stone's throw away, by chance? :D

Whereas Stonehenge is an incredible monument and a real wonder, I was stunned at how small it is.

Land's End, as others attest, is nothing other than something to tick off the 'Been There and Done That' list.

I could create a UK tour just to marvel at churches, cathedrals and abbey ruins.
stonehenge - don't pay - just pull into the farm track on the A303! (top tip! I often pull in there for a coffee!)

churches/cathedrals and abbeys - UK tour - I pretty much just did this on my sabbatical UK tour!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:34 am

thebish wrote: stonehenge - don't pay - just pull into the farm track on the A303! (top tip! I often pull in there for a coffee!)

churches/cathedrals and abbeys - UK tour - I pretty much just did this on my sabbatical UK tour!
Never paid yet. ;)

Aye, I guess you did, but I suppose that your's was more of a busman's holiday :D

Also, whenever I visit a town or city I always try to make a point of seeing its football ground(s). At one point I'd visited all 92 grounds in the English leagues along with a right old chunk of Scotland's. However, with new clubs coming into the league along with the building of new stadia (and me having less UK based business) there are now a few that I need to tick off. My European ground count is coming on though, this was last week's tick. The Boras Arena.

May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:50 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Is it literally a stone's throw away, by chance? :D

Whereas Stonehenge is an incredible monument and a real wonder, I was stunned at how small it is.

Land's End, as others attest, is nothing other than something to tick off the 'Been There and Done That' list.

I could create a UK tour just to marvel at churches, cathedrals and abbey ruins.
stonehenge - don't pay - just pull into the farm track on the A303! (top tip! I often pull in there for a coffee!)

Don't you ever call me about cruisers again, a sat nav on a bike sacrilege!!! :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52 am

Some interesting stuff/places here
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/12/what-l ... an-spaces/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Frankly, it's so big you can see it from Gloucestershire !!

Visible from the Moon, Billy's place.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Hoboh wrote: Don't you ever call me about cruisers again, a sat nav on a bike sacrilege!!! :wink:

well - I think we've established that you're just a weekend summer rider - more worried about polishing his chrome than anything else!! :D

I'll not be taking tips from you!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:35 pm

If in Northern Ireland you should see the Giant's Causeway (same igneous formation as Fingals Cave) and the Carrick a Rede rope bridge which is not for the faint hearted.