I AM IRONMAN!!!! (Well, hopefully)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: I AM IRONMAN!!!! (Well, hopefully)

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Donated. Best of Luck!

Thank you. :mrgreen:

How's the leg?
A lot better, did a 5k yesterday and a 10k on Tuesday with a friend. No pain after either, although I did roll my ankle at the end of yesterdays run but it seems to be find today. Think I might see if I can push on a bit longer this weekend

Great news. All set for the half marathon then?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:. Those of you who have said you will pledge but keep forgetting
I've not forgotten. You get your money when you've done it - don't want you getting complacent :wink:

If your trainings anything to go by you'll smash it :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:. Those of you who have said you will pledge but keep forgetting
I've not forgotten. You get your money when you've done it - don't want you getting complacent :wink:

If your trainings anything to go by you'll smash it :oyea:

I look forward to your £1.00 per mile generosity then. :P

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu May 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Donated. Best of Luck!

Thank you. :mrgreen:

How's the leg?
A lot better, did a 5k yesterday and a 10k on Tuesday with a friend. No pain after either, although I did roll my ankle at the end of yesterdays run but it seems to be find today. Think I might see if I can push on a bit longer this weekend

Great news. All set for the half marathon then?
Aye, more than confident I can do it so just going to try for the best time possible. Though I'll still be happy enough with just finishing.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Bump.

Five weeks to go.

Tonight I will cycle to and from the pool (approx. 14 miles)
Pool swim - Drill sets (approx. 1 mile)
Tomorrow at 5.30 am I am being picked up to go open water swimming (race distance 3.8km) before running home (16 miles)
Sunday is an 85 mile bike ride followed by a 2 mile run

Have a good weekend people.

Don't forget to donate if you can.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:38 pm

:shock:

Go Enfield. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:14 pm

My race number is confirmed as 1610

You can follow me via the Ironman UK website.

Just 10 days to go..........

:shock: :| :( :hang:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Who is going watching?
I'm going to head over to sheephouse lane around midday to give some much needed encouragement on that beast of a hill, then the crown pub for the last bit of cycling, then retreat and lion if Vienna for the running and into town for the finish.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Who is going watching?
I'm going to head over to sheephouse lane around midday to give some much needed encouragement on that beast of a hill, then the crown pub for the last bit of cycling, then retreat and lion if Vienna for the running and into town for the finish.
I'll get over to Horwich at some point during the morning. Not sure whether to get a lift or drive myself. A day on the lash appeals, but a heavily hungover Monday in work most certainly doesn't!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Who is going watching?
I'll get over to Horwich at some point during the morning. Not sure whether to get a lift or drive myself. A day on the lash appeals, but a heavily hungover Monday in work most certainly doesn't!

Make sure you shout loud. I gather it gets busy up Sheephouse Lane.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:05 am

I'll shout 'hurry up Enfield you caaaant!' in a cockernee accent to identify myself.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:41 am

LeverEnd wrote:I'll shout 'hurry up Enfield you caaaant!' in a cockernee accent to identify myself.

That'll do it. :mrgreen: :grin:

Dark Mavis
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Dark Mavis » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:45 pm

All the best for the big day GTE.

I did it last year and it was a fantastic experience even though it was only my second ever Traithlon having done Southport olympic a month before as training for the IM. I was really worried about the swim in the lead up to it but on the day it was almost insignificant. It just felt like a warm up for the rest of the day. The hardest bit was being at the Macron for 5am or whatever time it was.

The cycle can be quite lonely once the field starts to spread out. Apart from Sheephouse, Hunters Hill and Babylon lane (where the support is amazing) and the odd pub, you can go for miles and hardly see anyone. I just kept remembering the Don Fink advice that anything over an average of 14MPH would get you to T2 with time to spare.

For the run, i walked up the steepest hills to save my legs (as most people around me seemed to do) but other than that i ran constantly for the first 10 miles to get me to a point where i knew that if needs be i could walk to the finish line and still make the cut off. Then i just relaxed and adopted a run/walk strategy. That allowed me to soak up the atmosphere and chat to some of the other runners from all over the world. The finish line is amazing. I ran down it trying to look fresh and composed. Ha! In hindsight i wish i'd took my time and high fived more people and looked out for friends and family in the crowd. It's too long of an event for the finish to be over in 30 seconds.

If i can offer one bit of advice, don't wear a one piece tri suit. It made toilet stops really hard work having to mess about with number belts and stuff. Wear seperates if you can.

Anyway, that was my experience. I'm sure you will have a great day. I'll look out for your number. :oyea:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Dark Mavis wrote:All the best for the big day GTE.

I did it last year and it was a fantastic experience even though it was only my second ever Traithlon having done Southport olympic a month before as training for the IM. I was really worried about the swim in the lead up to it but on the day it was almost insignificant. It just felt like a warm up for the rest of the day. The hardest bit was being at the Macron for 5am or whatever time it was.

The cycle can be quite lonely once the field starts to spread out. Apart from Sheephouse, Hunters Hill and Babylon lane (where the support is amazing) and the odd pub, you can go for miles and hardly see anyone. I just kept remembering the Don Fink advice that anything over an average of 14MPH would get you to T2 with time to spare.

For the run, i walked up the steepest hills to save my legs (as most people around me seemed to do) but other than that i ran constantly for the first 10 miles to get me to a point where i knew that if needs be i could walk to the finish line and still make the cut off. Then i just relaxed and adopted a run/walk strategy. That allowed me to soak up the atmosphere and chat to some of the other runners from all over the world. The finish line is amazing. I ran down it trying to look fresh and composed. Ha! In hindsight i wish i'd took my time and high fived more people and looked out for friends and family in the crowd. It's too long of an event for the finish to be over in 30 seconds.

If i can offer one bit of advice, don't wear a one piece tri suit. It made toilet stops really hard work having to mess about with number belts and stuff. Wear seperates if you can.

Anyway, that was my experience. I'm sure you will have a great day. I'll look out for your number. :oyea:

Thanks for all that. Having done a number of races before I have cone to expect a lot of time alone on the bike. My biggest worry is running off the bike as my knee is weak. However my plan is to run as long as possible and then run/ walk. Will definitely take your advice on the finish. My brother in law is going to donate another 100 pounds if I skip over the line.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Dark Mavis = Mansun fan!

:pray:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:34 am

Just in case I forget,

All the best this weekend GTE (Even though you lot rule out some motor biking routes this weekend :wink: ).

Don't push yourself too hard, I'd miss the sarcasm :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:44 am

Hoboh wrote:Just in case I forget,

All the best this weekend GTE (Even though you lot rule out some motor biking routes this weekend :wink: ).

Don't push yourself too hard, I'd miss the sarcasm :mrgreen:

Cheers. Sarcastic? Moi?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 am

Swim completed in 1:25:28! Well done GtE. :pray:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:44 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:Swim completed in 1:25:28! Well done GtE. :pray:
Great start. Weather conditions looking favourable too. Go on lad :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:26 pm

hoping that enfield doesn't mind...