Muslims, racists, individuals and attitudes.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Muslims, racists, individuals and attitudes.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Hoboh wrote:
So one pickup drifting into a town with a few armed men was enough to overwhelm the Iraqi security forces who merely legged it?

Simple thing to do would be to make any travel to Syria, illegal, with long jail sentences except if on a mission from HMG security services.
Well, from what I read they didn't put up any fight. But presumably before the yanks or ourselves decided to get back involved they'd already got the Iraqis running the other way.

I've no problem with Parliament creating a law then prosecuting on the basis of it. I do have a problem just chucking people in jail without them breaking a law or the right to a fair trial.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
So one pickup drifting into a town with a few armed men was enough to overwhelm the Iraqi security forces who merely legged it?

Simple thing to do would be to make any travel to Syria, illegal, with long jail sentences except if on a mission from HMG security services.
Well, from what I read they didn't put up any fight. But presumably before the yanks or ourselves decided to get back involved they'd already got the Iraqis running the other way.

I've no problem with Parliament creating a law then prosecuting on the basis of it. I do have a problem just chucking people in jail without them breaking a law or the right to a fair trial.
I think there is a problem with Parliament creating a law and then prosecuting people who had violated it before it had been passed, as has been know to happen.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:52 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

I think there is a problem with Parliament creating a law and then prosecuting people who had violated it before it had been passed, as has been know to happen.
It wouldn't be the first time and I definitely wouldn't put it past the current lot.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:27 pm

You'd need a very good argument to get that past the ECtHR. The bastards.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:28 pm

You'd also need a v good argument to get a blanket ban on travel to Syria past them too.

Which is good, what with it being mental.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:02 am

Prufrock wrote:You'd also need a v good argument to get a blanket ban on travel to Syria past them too.

Which is good, what with it being mental.
I really do wonder about your sanity sometimes, if you are worried about aid workers there can be dispensations with proper background checks to make sure they genuine and not pals of Choudry taking public money to fund the bastards.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:45 am

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/m ... ocid=edgsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting.

Personally, I think all this burka business is a little OTT, if they are required to remove them by security concerns or if individual shops/leisure centres etc. require ,they not be worn just like motorcycle crash helmets, then I see no problem.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 am

I witnessed an interesting 'discussion' between a Lufthansa check in clerk and a lady in a Burkha a few weeks ago. The check in staff wouldn't let her board without matching her face to her passport photograph, which seems fair to me. It didn't appear to seem fair to the male members of her family or to the lady herself.

Lufthansa won.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:32 am

Bijou Bob wrote:I witnessed an interesting 'discussion' between a Lufthansa check in clerk and a lady in a Burkha a few weeks ago. The check in staff wouldn't let her board without matching her face to her passport photograph, which seems fair to me. It didn't appear to seem fair to the male members of her family or to the lady herself.

Lufthansa won.
They pretty much had to, or a new giant can of worms would have been opened.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I witnessed an interesting 'discussion' between a Lufthansa check in clerk and a lady in a Burkha a few weeks ago. The check in staff wouldn't let her board without matching her face to her passport photograph, which seems fair to me. It didn't appear to seem fair to the male members of her family or to the lady herself.

Lufthansa won.
In that she "revealed" or she didn't board ?

There was a phase when fear of being accused of being racist had people passing through, I watched that on a flight to Brussels maybe 5 or 6 years ago

Stories also (I can't corroborate) that some were allowed to use a burka photo as passport ID.

I can't easily reconcile to the full body & face jobbies. Thankfully I've never had to deal with it professionally.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:27 pm

It does clearly state in the Qu'ran that women are not allowed to show their faces "even in the event of Airport security"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:59 pm

I thought that there's a room set aside in airports for exactly this purpose.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Lufthansa offered a private room, but they were too busy arguing about their 'rights' to listen. I believe the Q'uran mentions hair and not the face. Hair should not be seen by anyone other than men that the woman cannot marry ie Father, brother, Uncle etc. The veil is a cultural, rather than religious requirement.

The woman involved removed her veil so that they could check her identity. It took less than 10 seconds and no one else could see apart from one nosey tourist walking backwards towards the plane..... cough.....

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:36 pm

In May I was in Frankfort airport when two Burka clad ladies came running flat out down the concourse pushing perambulators. Somewhat amused at the incongruous sight, I turned to mention it to my wife but she wasn't there. I subsequently found her behind a pillar. I guess she is more aware of certain possibilities than I was, who naively assumed (correctly in the event) that they were simply in a hurry.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Lufthansa offered a private room, but they were too busy arguing about their 'rights' to listen. I believe the Q'uran mentions hair and not the face. Hair should not be seen by anyone other than men that the woman cannot marry ie Father, brother, Uncle etc. The veil is a cultural, rather than religious requirement.

The woman involved removed her veil so that they could check her identity. It took less than 10 seconds and no one else could see apart from one nosey tourist walking backwards towards the plane..... cough.....
As far as I can tell, BB, the Qur'an says really nothing about the matter. Everything seems to be subsequent interpretation of one specific verse (which only referred to Mohammed's wives in any case).
"You who Believe, do not enter the prophet's apartments for a meal unless you are given permission to do so; do not linger until [a meal] is ready. When you are invited, go in; then, when you have taken your meal, leave. Do not stay on and talk, for that would offend the prophet, though he would shrink from asking you to leave. Allah does not shrink from the truth. When you ask his wives for something, do so from behind a barrier: that is purer for your hearts and theirs. It is not right for you to offend Allah's messenger, just as you should never marry his wives after him: that would be grievous in Allah's eyes. Allah has full knowledge of all things, whether you reveal them or not." (Qur'an 33:53-54)
http://www.quranicpath.com/finerpoints/33_53_niqab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Subsequent interpretations can be found here.

Disclaimer: this said I am no expert and have to take the internet's word for this.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Lufthansa offered a private room, but they were too busy arguing about their 'rights' to listen. I believe the Q'uran mentions hair and not the face. Hair should not be seen by anyone other than men that the woman cannot marry ie Father, brother, Uncle etc. The veil is a cultural, rather than religious requirement.

I know, I was only joking.. Not sure Airports were that big a thing when they wrote it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:

I know, I was only joking.. Not sure Airports were that big a thing when they wrote it
Not sure about this. I thought the Hegira describes Mohammed's flight from Mecca to Medina. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:In May I was in Frankfort airport when two Burka clad ladies came running flat out down the concourse pushing perambulators. Somewhat amused at the incongruous sight, I turned to mention it to my wife but she wasn't there. I subsequently found her behind a pillar. I guess she is more aware of certain possibilities than I was, who naively assumed (correctly in the event) that they were simply in a hurry.

:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Not sure about this. I thought the Hegira describes Mohammed's flight from Mecca to Medina. :wink:
Welcome to today's return flight to Jerusalem where our horse will be travelling at a cruising altitude of 40,000 ft.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 pm

In respect of the verse you provided Monty, thanks, that's quite enlightening. One of my female Muslim colleagues referred to a passage in the Q'uran which requires 'modesty' of women and she felt that the Hijab was a sign of her devotion and modesty. She wore it for the first 18 months in the job and then one day arrived at work without it. She looked entirely different. Sadly, she was then abused by an Asian male colleague who didn't like her "immodesty".

As an aside, I believe the Torah refers to those of the Jewish faith not wearing clothes made from different materials. I presume that it's not widely followed?!