Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Thinking about it -

the remain is campaigning for the status quo - it's harder to argue positively for the status quo, especially if you accept that the status quo isn't perfect (which it isn't) - the only route on offer is to argue that the status quo is better than the alternative - which involves highlighting the possible effects of the alternative...

the brexit campaign is arguing for change. it seems to me that to justify that change the onus is on them to tell us how much better it will be and why.

the whols scenario has an almost inbuilt drive for remain to exaggerate bad stuff and for brexit to make ludicrous brash promises... which is what's happening.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:42 pm

thebish wrote:Thinking about it -

the remain is campaigning for the status quo - it's harder to argue positively for the status quo, especially if you accept that the status quo isn't perfect (which it isn't) - the only route on offer is to argue that the status quo is better than the alternative - which involves highlighting the possible effects of the alternative...

the brexit campaign is arguing for change. it seems to me that to justify that change the onus is on them to tell us how much better it will be and why.

the whols scenario has an almost inbuilt drive for remain to exaggerate bad stuff and for brexit to make ludicrous brash promises... which is what's happening.
Aye. Same as the Scottish referendum. And it wouldn't surprise me if this had a similar outcome.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:18 pm

There you go, now some sense! Your fannies are stilled.

Not a chance the British public fall for the idea that there's a global conspiracy including, but not limited to, the IMF, World Bank, US govt, national govts of other European countries, our chancellor and the governor of the BofE, to subdue us over with a vague conspiracy, and that we should ditch it for some vaguely articulated benefits.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:56 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Big Dave was ont' telly this morning saying how we'll be headed towards fiscal hell in a handcart if we opt out, yet offered not a solitary shed of corroboration. For feck's sake, there are only three weeks left and not one person is supporting their take on the issue with anything worthwhile.

well - without the hell in a handcart language - economic warnings about brexit have been backed up by just about every reputable economic source - it's not BigDave's fault if folk choose to dismiss them all... who would you like corroboration from?
Mervyn King, at not the current Canadian incumbent.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:That didn't take long to move from "no one can really tell the truth Bruce" to we can keep out the "Roma and other types"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brexit is telling everyone who wants to listen that trade agreements will be better - so clearly not the plank of the multi-nationals.
Actually, you see, the exit camp have far more on the agenda than one plank, money.

Funny how your hero's either side step questions on anything else or choose not to debate them.

Cameron cannot get away from any discussion on migration fast enough and just pays lip service to any 'EU rules and regulation', when the bloke was saying the other day that we cannot let migration and the movement of people get in the way of the economy, it merely confirmed whose favours the bloke is after.

Just who are the one trick ponies in this vote?

Not the exit camp.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:19 pm

I guess it's either evade the question or just barefaced lie. Like Boris on the £350m.

Pot/Kettle.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:23 pm

I wish they'd just get the bloody vote over with, seeing all the politicians and knobs, from either side every day is getting irritating.

I reckon most have made their minds up anyway on this issue.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I guess it's either evade the question or just barefaced lie. Like Boris on the £350m.

Pot/Kettle.
And here's another thing. Wankers like Farridge banging on about this £350M - what's the nett contribution.? We receive a shitload back in subsidies?!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Aye, in reality, it's only about 250 million quid or summat. Peanuts..
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Aye, in reality, it's only about 250 million quid or summat. Peanuts..
Care to corroborate that?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Aye, in reality, it's only about 250 million quid or summat. Peanuts..

it'sa less than £250million if you net out what we get back...

thus:

and that does not take into account the trade benefits of being in it...

in short - the £350million is sheer bollox and the £250million figure is slightly less sheer bollox...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 pm

meanwhile...

Brexit protestor tries to burn the EU flag, but can’t because of EU regulation on flammable materials...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:58 pm

I'd like to think I earned some kudos for calling the General Election despite received wisdom.

I say now, be careful of complacency. This country is stacked to the rafters with xenophobic, insular, Daily Mail reading arseholes. The result is far from certain.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'd like to think I earned some kudos for calling the General Election despite received wisdom.

I say now, be careful of complacency. This country is stacked to the rafters with xenophobic, insular, Daily Mail reading arseholes. The result is far from certain.
Not possible.

Pru told us 2 years ago that this who votie thingie was pointless as there's no way there'd be anything like an out majority.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:16 am

There isn't. There's certainly too many daily mail reading thickos, but there weren't enough to win elections for the Tories for like a jillion years before they figured out there's not enough daily mail reading thickos to win you elections.

People the world over are conservative. British people feel especially so. Shit's not all that broken, and no way have leave made a convincing case. It's just, like, 20 people filling up Facebook feeds with daily mail links. There's a feck load of people quietly ready to vote remain hoping they can get through the next three weeks.

For like the millionth time: Referendums against the status quo need about a ten point poll lead to win. People just think "meh, how bad is it really?". Ain't happening. Bestill thy fannies.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TheHeatonWanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheHeatonWanderer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:56 am

Regarding this both sides have been really unprofessional. It's like children throwing toys out of the pram. Mind you that's politics these days it's like a school playground no longer like the good old debates they had between the left and the right (Tony Benn and Enoch Powell).

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:22 am

Prufrock wrote:There isn't. There's certainly too many daily mail reading thickos, but there weren't enough to win elections for the Tories for like a jillion years before they figured out there's not enough daily mail reading thickos to win you elections.

People the world over are conservative. British people feel especially so. Shit's not all that broken, and no way have leave made a convincing case. It's just, like, 20 people filling up Facebook feeds with daily mail links. There's a feck load of people quietly ready to vote remain hoping they can get through the next three weeks.

For like the millionth time: Referendums against the status quo need about a ten point poll lead to win. People just think "meh, how bad is it really?". Ain't happening. Bestill thy fannies.
I'm expecting a 100% vote for Brexit based on a few people saying 'but everyone I know is voting leave, the polls must be wrong'

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

thus:

in short - the £350million is sheer bollox and the £250million figure is slightly less sheer bollox...
Fairy Nuff. Are you trying to tell me that 161 million plus is still peanuts? I'm still on the Remain side, yet even I think that's a heck of a lot of money.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:27 am

Between £150-250m nett a week to be told what we can't do and generally be told we're a bunch of w@nkers has always seemed quite a lot to me.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:29 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

thus:

Fairy Nuff. Are you trying to tell me that 161 million plus is still peanuts? I'm still on the Remain side, yet even I think that's a heck of a lot of money.
It's just over 1% of everything we spend (we spend around £760 Bn per annum)...So yes, pretty much in the "peanuts" category.