Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 pm

Pru, what was the point of the referendum?

Direct answer please. None of your side-stepping NHS bollocks (a clusterfuck, granted) and shit about some bloke from Standish being elected by everybody, so he should be amingst THE final say.

What was the point of the referendum?

Also, would it have gone to high court if the public had voted to remain?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:05 pm

As a quick aside, if these politicians have been elected (which they have), does that mean that they cannot be questioned by the public who elected them?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Doesn't this judgement just effectively mean we're going to have a soft Brexit as opposed to the hard one that we were heading towards?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
'Let's give' is hardly 'we will'

We 'do' have an elected government

11,334,576 v 9,347,304 the leftie scumbags got.

331 seats v 232

Lets go to court to contest it eh? I mean you cannot have the majority deciding who runs the country.

Parliament became a joke when they side stepped the expenses scandal and don't even go near the second chamber and the corpses.
[Hoboh *holding car keys*] Let's go to the shops and get you a new bag
[Mrs Hoboh] OK
[Mrs Hoboh] Why are we at the football, you said we were going to get me a new bag
[Hoboh]"Let's go" is hardly "we will"

Yeah, good luck with that.

And no we don't. Which govt did you vote for? Or which did I vote for? I voted for a candidate for a constituency MP, nothing more, nothing less. Sure, you could argue that the govt. is indirectly formed from those MPs but then you'd have to admit that the EU council is elected... so which is it?

Parliament debated and then decided to have an advisory referendum. That's not a legal quibble, but what our elected Parliament voted for. The AV referendum was not advisory, so it's not an oversight, they knew they could make it mandatory, and it's clear that making it advisory is deliberately what Parliament intended to do. That's how our constitution works. That constitution that David Davis and the like were so keen to uphold, Parliamentary sovereignty ra-ra-rah and all that.

I think MPs would be daft to vote against triggering Article 50 unless what was proposed was absolutely lunatic (way beyond how anyone might describe leaving itself as lunatic), but our constitutional law is clear that Parliament have to be consulted.

Which is what you all claimed you wanted by the way.
You miss the real point about Europe, our parliament was being over ruled by the EU mandarin's and we were being pushed into things by second rate former commie countries aided by our old traditional foes.

Our parliament is a sad joke now tainted by expenses and the inclusion of so many Scots nats, totally unrepresentative for the size of their population
I think you are crediting advisory to parliament that really belongs to Cameron, another snout in the trough snowflake.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Will the outcome of the general election go to the high court in future?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:14 pm

The fact that people don't understand the role of the referendum nor the role of parliament is a bit concerning.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:Pru, what was the point of the referendum?

Direct answer please. None of your side-stepping NHS bollocks (a clusterfuck, granted) and shit about some bloke from Standish being elected by everybody, so he should be amingst THE final say.

The point: A David Cameron Dick Measuring Competition.

High court if the result was different: Who knows? The Remainers are sore losers. The Brexiteers would have probably been far worse, given the sudden spike in hate crime post result. The Face of Leave was on record saying they'd contest a 52% vote to remain, weeks before the day of the vote.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 pm

Am I right in thinking that this whole thing will now end up in front of the European Appeal Courts? How the feck does that work? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The fact that people don't understand the role of the referendum nor the role of parliament is a bit concerning.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:

High court if the result was different: Who knows? The Remainers are sore losers. The Brexiteers would have probably been far worse, given the sudden spike in hate crime post result. The Face of Leave was on record saying they'd contest a 52% vote to remain, weeks before the day of the vote.
I personally think it would have been more accepted, had the result gone the other way. I'm not sure there were more Hate crimes committed, as opposed to hate crimes reported, but I don't know.

I certainly heard more stories about remainers turning violent than exiteers

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:

I personally think it would have been more accepted, had the result gone the other way. I'm not sure there were more Hate crimes committed, as opposed to hate crimes reported, but I don't know.

I certainly heard more stories about remainers turning violent than exiteers
source? what did the exiteers have to get violent about? "We won now feck off home" etc etc

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:23 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:The fact that people don't understand the role of the referendum nor the role of parliament is a bit concerning.
It was an advisory referendum (not legally binding) to gauge the will of the British people. But lets paint an imaginary scenario. Cameron calls the referendum, the result is out, Tories collapse and there was an emergency election. A new party is elected. The new party have an advisory result but if their newly formed government decides to ignore it, or take it back to parliament that is entirely their call.

The referendum was to gauge the public opinion. The then government promised that decision would be enacted on, but similarly governments promise lots when voted in that then never materialise. And those promises are not legally binding either.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
It was an advisory referendum (not legally binding) to gauge the will of the British people. But lets paint an imaginary scenario. Cameron calls the referendum, the result is out, Tories collapse and there was an emergency election. A new party is elected. The new party have an advisory result but if their newly formed government decides to ignore it, or take it back to parliament that is entirely their call.

The referendum was to gauge the public opinion. The then government promised that decision would be enacted on, but similarly governments promise lots when voted in that then never materialise. And those promises are not legally binding either.
:laugh: That was EXACTLY the answer I knew was coming and what a fvckin cop-out

So it was utterly pointless exercise and a massive waste of resources

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:36 pm

To decide whether we leave the EU.

I'm not one of those people who claim the referendum was not meant to be binding in its effect. That it was advisory is important constitutionally and for what happens next, but there can be no serious argument the govt. should feel free to disregard it or feel it can ignore it.

However, the morning afterwards we were not suddenly out of the EU. There is a process to leave and we have a constitution that needs to be followed.

There are a myriad of questions about *how* we leave that have to be answered, and the only appropriate body to answer that is Parliament. Everyone who voted out knows why they did, but at one end you've got Dan Hannan and his lot who want us still in the single market, still with freedom of movement and have no interest in immigration coming down. At the other end you've got Farage who doesn't really care about the single market but absolutely wants an end to free movement. The referendum did not answer where on that spectrum we should lie and they are important questions. Only Parliament is competent to decide those.

That was recognised by the court by the way, who expressly pointed out that this is not a decision that says leaving the EU is unlawful - that absolutely is a political decision and not one for the courts. I think any MP who said they were voting against simply because they didn't like the result would get steamrollered at the next GE, and rightly so.

If the vote had been for remain it wouldn't be in the High Court because there would be nothing for Parliament to vote on. We wouldn't be figuring out how to make a change.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Does anyone know the result of the referendum result by the numbers of constituencies who voted either way?

From memory, about two thirds of constituencies voted to leave. If that is correct, it's difficult to see how MPs would be able to vote not to trigger Article 50 given that our general elections are conducted on a First Past The Post basis.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:43 pm

From memory I don't think that info exists. Votes were split into geographic areas but they did not match constituencies. Perhaps they should have.

Despite being v strongly remain, I wouldn't for anyone who voted against a sensible proposal for triggering Art. 50.

As an aside, I also think the most legitimate outcome given the closeness of the vote is some sort of soft leaving. Can you imagine if remain had won 52-48 and the next day Cameron announced we were joining the Euro :D?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:48 pm

I think we should just whistle until the Franco, German empire folds in on it's self, then fcuk those who wanted to play hardball with us.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 pm

"UNELECTED HOBOH F*CKS HARDBALLERS"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:59 pm

During the Scots referendum wasn't there a requirement that to go independent they had to have a far greater share than 50% (66%?) or have I made that up?

The EU result was really the worst possible scenario. A huge victory either way and the majority would be happy. A 2% swing the other way and the status quo would remain, folk would grumble but at least we'd be without the current uncertainty
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

:laugh: That was EXACTLY the answer I knew was coming and what a fvckin cop-out

So it was utterly pointless exercise and a massive waste of resources
Wow. My initial point was people didn't understand. And you've just proven it.

It isn't a cop out, it is EXACTLY the definition of the referendum. That is different to saying that parliament or the government should IGNORE the result. That might be a cop-out. But defining the legal basis of the referendum cannot possible be a cop-out.

More that people seem to not bother with more than raving Daily Mail headlines.