Save the Palais Facade..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Save the Palais facade?

Rebuild it as a dance hall.
6%
Save the frontage as part of a new building.
69%
Bulldoze it and build yet another block of student flats.
25%
suggest an option
No votes

Total votes: 16

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Save the Palais Facade..

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Façade looks similar to the old Odeon Cinema near Ashburner Street Market. They did a brilliant job of preserving that..............
Never mind, we've still got pictures..(from 1962/3 :(

It does look a bit Rank...
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:57 am

Another bygone and classy fascade that fell a victim to the "planners" . I remember this well enough because it was where we got off the 43 bus when visiting Farnworth on many nights out pre 1967. (Blurb and pic nicked unashamedly from a Bygone Days site) :wink:

"Farnworth Arcade
Farnworth was once the proud owner of an integrated bus terminus/arcade built in fantastic Art Deco style in about 1923. Had it survived it would undoubtedly have been revered as a national treasure. Unfortunately in about 1967 local councillors decided it would be a good idea to replace it with a plastic/concrete bunker."

Now they're in the process of flattening the lot....again..

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:06 pm

^^ when you say "classy" Tango .... you mean faux art deco using cheap materials, yeah? ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:59 pm

The Palais back in the day. this was in Bygone Bolton this morning.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ when you say "classy" Tango .... you mean faux art deco using cheap materials, yeah? ?
Built in 1923 would be Art Deco style period Bobo, and what makes you think they used cheap materials?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:28 pm

clapton is god wrote:Image

Aye, as the entrance and frontage was in the happy days period Clapton (without the cladding). :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:40 pm

y'see... I think quite a few of these olde-worlde photos look nice partly because there is no traffic at all - they are monochrome (which removes a whole load of ugliness) and they are not yet surrounded by kebab shops and the clutter of modern day "street furniture"...

I'm not at all convinced that the palais facade is all that great... bulldoze it is what I voted...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:56 pm

thebish wrote:

y'see... I think quite a few of these olde-worlde photos look nice partly because there is no traffic at all - they are monochrome (which removes a whole load of ugliness) and they are not yet surrounded by kebab shops and the clutter of modern day "street furniture"...

I'm not at all convinced that the palais facade is all that great... bulldoze it is what I voted...
Aye, a good call that from somebody in Devon..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 pm

my eyes still work!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:24 pm

It'd be nice to see someone preserve it, especially when one considers whatever carbuncle might replace it, but I don't hold out much hope. Bolton town centre is now an absolute toilet for which we can lay the blame firmly at the door of Morris (not you, Tango ;) ) and whichever of his acolytes have ever given the go-ahead to our ridiculous amount of out-of-town retail parks. When M&S do eventually leave town you may as well bulldoze the fecking lot of it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^ when you say "classy" Tango .... you mean faux art deco using cheap materials, yeah? ?
Built in 1923 would be Art Deco style period Bobo, and what makes you think they used cheap materials?
Largely on account of the materials on those facades being ... well .... cheap !?

False marble facia over brick. To give a very poor facimile of marble frontage. That whole 'Odeon' look.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:39 pm

:conf:
How come that picture has the market place in the background like 50 years before they even built the thing?
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:44 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:

:conf:
How come that picture has the market place in the background like 50 years before they even built the thing?
That's because it's a 1950 centre with two Ikon era bits photoshopped onto the sides.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Aye, I've just googled "ritzy bolton" and seen the two pictures it's created from.
Why would they do that? The original Palais picture looked just fine. :?
Businesswoman of the year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Hoss - they took the cladding down when they rebranded it from Ritzy to Ikon, so I'm guessing it's from then.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Seems it's going on forty years since the facade was last seen before the sheeting plyers got to work.

http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/a-palais.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:43 am

Andy Waller wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Façade looks similar to the old Odeon Cinema near Ashburner Street Market. They did a brilliant job of preserving that..............

Used to go here in the 70,s with my brother and sisters every week for the (s.s.s) Super Saturday Show. Very fond memories and as I've not visited Bolton Town Centre for over 30 years,I expect this place is gone as well. I had a Saturday job on Farnworth market clearing all the fruit+veg stalls rubbish as a 10 year old(good times)..Sadly that would be frowned upon now,and seen as child exploitation! It was nothing but character building.

Hit the No2 choice on the poll,but it showed as choice 1. I strongly object to this and re-cast my vote as (save the Palais facade). :oyea:

If my memory is correct? I went to see Jaws at the Palais in the 70,s,as I'm sure it was turned into a Cinema for a while!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Used to go here in the 70,s with my brother and sisters every week for the (s.s.s) Super Saturday Show. Very fond memories and as I've not visited Bolton Town Centre for over 30 years,I expect this place is gone as well. I had a Saturday job on Farnworth market clearing all the fruit+veg stalls rubbish as a 10 year old(good times)..Sadly that would be frowned upon now,and seen as child exploitation! It was nothing but character building.

Hit the No2 choice on the poll,but it showed as choice 1. I strongly object to this and re-cast my vote as (save the Palais facade). :oyea:

If my memory is correct? I went to see Jaws at the Palais in the 70,s,as I'm sure it was turned into a Cinema for a while!
It's just rubble now. I used to drop my nana off for Bingo there in the 1990s, can't remember when it was knocked down.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:12 pm

LeverEnd wrote:

It's just rubble now. I used to drop my nana off for Bingo there in the 1990s, can't remember when it was knocked down.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/121 ... ous_odeon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Apparently today's the day that they've started on its demolition. :(