Grand National

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Grand National

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:43 pm

The Big race is this weekend (along with the Masters Golf Tournament from Augusta). Will you be risking a couple of bob or no? Here's a list of current listed runners:

http://www.grand-national2016.co.uk/runners-odds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Grand National

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Nope. Aside from Betting being illegal here, I'm against the grand national. Too many horses get injured for it to be a sport for me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Nope. Aside from Betting being illegal here, I'm against the grand national. Too many horses get injured for it to be a sport for me.
I feel exactly the same and won't be placing a bet. That said, I will join in the office sweep-stake, but that's a little different, I guess.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Nope. Aside from Betting being illegal here, I'm against the grand national. Too many horses get injured for it to be a sport for me.
I feel exactly the same and won't be placing a bet. That said, I will join in the office sweep-stake, but that's a little different, I guess.
me three - as per my comments about horse deaths in the last big horse race...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:31 pm

It used to feel like a big event when i was younger - my dad getting us to pick horses earlier in the day, him going down to put a bit of money on each way and us all watching the telly - but i haven't looked at it for years now.

Will instead be watching (and playing on saturday hopefully) much golf, though 8)
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:It used to feel like a big event when i was younger - my dad getting us to pick horses earlier in the day, him going down to put a bit of money on each way and us all watching the telly - but i haven't looked at it for years now.
Aye was like that with us too. I remember at KO time, you couldn't move in most pubs either.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:24 am

KeyserSoze wrote:It used to feel like a big event when i was younger - my dad getting us to pick horses earlier in the day, him going down to put a bit of money on each way and us all watching the telly - but i haven't looked at it for years now.

Will instead be watching (and playing on saturday hopefully) much golf, though 8)
It started snowing here today - doubt there'll be much golf for a while.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:The Big race is this weekend (along with Rd1 of the 2016 UCI MTB World Cup Downhill!!!). Will you be risking a couple of bob or no? Here's a list of current listed runners:

http://www.grand-national2016.co.uk/runners-odds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not on the national, might have a few quid on Bryceland tho but cant see past Gwin tbh . i have also got money on my DIRT downhill fantasy league team!

https://dirtmountainbike.com/features/d ... 16-go.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31 am

I've drawn the appropriately named 'Wonderful Charm' in the office sweep. Bloody thing's 50/1. I'm sure I'd stand to gain more if I were to go into a bookies and put a £Quid on at 50/1.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:53 pm

i'll wager 3 horse deaths over the 'festival'. and lots of pricks. lots and lots and lots of pricks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:54 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:i'll wager 3 horse deaths over the 'festival'. and lots of pricks. lots and lots and lots of pricks.
Quite a few of them appearing to be orange in colour too!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:23 pm

2 dead already apparently :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:28 pm

For what it's worth I had a (small) flutter on O'Faolains Boy and First Lieutenant more for fun than gambling. Not expecting either to win, but you never know. :wink:

Edit. O'Faolains Boy a non-runner, so up steps Boston Bob.... :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:13 pm

I saw a news segment about Ladies Day. Tarted up gobby scousers. I can't imagine a much worse to spend a day.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:20 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I saw a news segment about Ladies Day. Tarted up gobby scousers. I can't imagine a much worse to spend a day.
Like this?
Attachments
Slappers.jpg
Slappers.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:30 pm

Gotta love the name of that .jpg

Bizarrely, on most of the coverage from yesterday (Ladies Day) there appeared to be not one orange covered velour track-suit wearing person at the racecourse...I think the press might have been told the "conditions" of them getting a pass for next year.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:30 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I saw a news segment about Ladies Day. Tarted up gobby scousers. I can't imagine a much worse to spend a day.
Like this?

Don't they usually pull a curtain round them before they shoot them?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Gotta love the name of that .jpg

Bizarrely, on most of the coverage from yesterday (Ladies Day) there appeared to be not one orange covered velour track-suit wearing person at the racecourse...I think the press might have been told the "conditions" of them getting a pass for next year.
That was the name that I gave it when I saved it. I'm going to delete it. Honest! :oops:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Like this?

Don't they usually pull a curtain round them before they shoot them?

:lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Well we had the annual family tenner on it...and coming into the last we were shouting for The Last Samurai as the missus said one of her 3 £1 bets had gone on it...Gutted when it came second, then looked at the betting slip and pointed out she'd also had Rule the World @ 40/1. Yay!