Ched Evans

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Ched Evans

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Ched Evans has had his conviction quashed by three appeal court judges.
Firstly, how quick the press have been to drop the "Convicted Rapist, Ched Evans..." In favour of "Former Sheffield United Footballer / Wales International, Ched Evans...." See here

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... conviction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Wankers. What was wrong with simply referring to him as "Footballer Ched Evans" throughout?

Several questions. What has Jessica Ennis to say?

And Oldham's sponsor?

You on here that've said "If we sign Ched Evans I'll never set foot in the place again" etc. ?

I'd have him at our place in a flash. Good luck to the lad.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Ched Evans

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Ched Evans has had his conviction quashed by three appeal court judges.
Firstly, how quick the press have been to drop the "Convicted Rapist, Ched Evans..." In favour of "Former Sheffield United Footballer / Wales International, Ched Evans...." See here

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... conviction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Wankers. What was wrong with simply referring to him as "Footballer Ched Evans" throughout?

And Oldham's sponsor?

You on here that've said "If we sign Ched Evans I'll never set foot in the place again" etc. ?

Though the case will now be reheard.

Tell you what though, if he can show any maltreatment or maladministration his 'loss of earnings' will be bloody significant.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Ched Evans has had his conviction quashed by three appeal court judges.

well - once he actually was "convicted rapist Ched Evans" - cos he was convicted of rape - now he's not, so they can't call him that just now... who knows if they'll be allowed to again after a retrial...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:18 pm

thebish wrote:
well - once he actually was "convicted rapist Ched Evans" - cos he was convicted of rape - now he's not, so they can't call him that just now... who knows if they'll be allowed to again after a retrial...
Could they say "one-time convicted rapist" ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:22 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
dunno - I suspect the legals would be on their case! they might be holding out the option of calling him "two-time convicted rapist" some time in the future, though...

having said that - I don't want someone at the club who is still charged with rape and facing trial - should he be found not guilty - then he's welcome!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:27 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
dunno - I suspect the legals would be on their case! they might be holding out the option of calling him "two-time convicted rapist" some time in the future, though...

having said that - I don't want someone at the club who is still charged with rape and facing trial!
Well - now he actually is "one-time convicted rapist Ched Evans" ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:

having said that - I don't want someone at the club who is still charged with rape and facing trial!
Well - now he actually is "one-time convicted rapist Ched Evans" ;)
indeed - but whether newspapers would be allowed to get away with that - what with it sounding derogatory - I don't know...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 pm

It's how it's supposed to work isn't it? No-one thinks the courts get it right every single time but it's the best option we have. I trust a jury who have been taken through all the evidence and directed by the judge more than my own "reckon" on a selection of the evidence. If the jury find someone guilty, we have to treat them that way (not to say people shouldn't discuss it and have opinions, but the way you treat the accused has to be based on the verdict).

Once he was convicted of rape I didn't want him here, particularly given his lack of remorse. Now the conviction has been quashed he goes back to being innocent until proven otherwise, and I wouldn't have a problem if we signed him (though I'd hope there was a clause that we could sack him/ reclaim some of the money if he was found guilty again. And I'd also have questions about his mindset while this is going on). I don't see what's controversial about that!

He's definitely a scumbag though, regardless of whether he raped her, and one I'd want no-where near my daughter and wouldn't want my kids idolising. That's not enough for me to stop going if we signed him (we've had plenty scumbags I've cheered on) but I can see how it might be for others.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:58 pm

you have a daughter??? :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:56 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

And Oldham's sponsor?

Though the case will now be reheard.

Tell you what though, if he can show any maltreatment or maladministration his 'loss of earnings' will be bloody significant.
Indeed - he's not been found "Not Guilty" (and that doesn't make him de facto "guilty"). They've reviewed the case and concluded that fresh admissible evidence has come to light - and on the basis of that, he'll be re-tried.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:24 pm

I stand by my original assertion that I don't want him anywhere near the club, guilty or not. The 'new evidence' which has apparently been laid before the court has not yet been tested, but will be in due course. Until then, I see no reason for Ennis, Oldham or anyone else to change their views.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:41 pm

I'd have him in a heartbeat.

He's served his time and like anyone deserves a chance at rehabilitation.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'd have him in a heartbeat.

Well, he oddly hasn't, has he ?!

He's either served undeserved time, or not served long enough. A mess, either way.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

He's either served undeserved time, or not served long enough. A mess, either way.
He had already been released (presumably on licence) prior to today's announcement hadn't he? :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

He had already been released (presumably on licence) prior to today's announcement hadn't he? :conf:
As they gave him leave to appeal I think.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:50 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

As they gave him leave to appeal I think.
Ah right. Well he can feck off then the sex case :D

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:02 pm

It does beg the question, are there crimes for which people are beyond redemption?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:It does beg the question, are there crimes for which people are beyond redemption?
Didn't we do that bit here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23804&p=1006215&hil ... n#p1006215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Give him a 4 year contract. Think how many he'd get in his final season with Adam Johnson's pinpoint crosses

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Give him a 4 year contract. Think how many he'd get in his final season with Adam Johnson's pinpoint crosses
And Graham rix's expert coaching?