Th'olympics 2016

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Th'olympics 2016

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I had to stop up for Mo Farrah's race. The man is a machine; he was in control of the race even from the back. Have to confess I thought he was going to get caught at the death, but he had no such fears. Brilliant, brilliant athlete. Almost Wilsonesque.... :wink:

Big admiration for all our contestants in everything. They've excelled themselves... :pray: :pray:

Jockey Wilson? :conf:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I had to stop up for Mo Farrah's race. The man is a machine; he was in control of the race even from the back. Have to confess I thought he was .going to get caught at the death, but he had no such fears. Brilliant, brilliant athlete. Almost Wilsonesque.... :wink:

Big admiration for all our contestants in everything. They've excelled themselves... :pray: :pray:
It was brilliant. Total control. Big shout for Butchart as well, the other Brit. Got in amongst it and ran a PB in his first Olympics. One for the future.

Edit. Scottish record 13.08 and 3rd on the the uk all time list behind mo and dave Moorcroft.
Last edited by LeverEnd on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Didnt stop up for it but wish I had. I didn't think he'd manage a double this time but now I cant believe I ever doubted him! A fitting end to what has been an outstanding Olympics for us :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:29 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I had to stop up for Mo Farrah's race. The man is a machine; he was in control of the race even from the back. Have to confess I thought he was going to get caught at the death, but he had no such fears. Brilliant, brilliant athlete. Almost Wilsonesque.... :wink:

Jockey Wilson? :conf:
You'll have to ask Monty or Dujon, but here's a clue. Wilson, the greatest athlete ever born... :wink:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:01 pm

First man to run the three minute mile, I believe.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:05 pm

^^ not a patch on Alf Tupper.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:19 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ not a patch on Alf Tupper.
Oh Alf was good in a local Saturday dash round t'gasworks sort of stuff, but Wilson was a worldbeater. Did you know he actually once won the Ashes against the Oz? It's the truth. :wink: .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:39 pm

The whole coverage and camera work from the BBC ( including the scenic stuff) has been really top-notch throughout. Only real moan from me has been the boxing judging. In a lot of cases the judges seem to prefer show-boating Mohamed Ali wannabees, both male and female to boxers who play by the rules. America and Cuba are prime examples.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:45 pm

And our heavyweight, Joe Joyce becomes another victim of farcial judging. Must be me...I thought he was robbed.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Did that commentator just say that he wasn't aware of another couple (he was talking about the French one) winning Gold each at the same games?

Or was he laving the word 'multiple' out?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 pm

How the Feck did our super heavyweight lose that?? He rocked the other bloke 3 times, the Frenchie kept dropping his head and clinging on! That was a feckin travesty!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Oh Alf was good in a local Saturday dash round t'gasworks sort of stuff, but Wilson was a worldbeater. Did you know he actually once won the Ashes against the Oz? It's the truth. :wink: .
He couldn't eat a bag of fish & chips as he ran round.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
He couldn't eat a bag of fish & chips as he ran round.
Aye, okay. I'll conced that one... :lol:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Gave up on Olympic boxing close to 30yrs ago. Kind of surprised its still an event, as it seems to cause hurt feelings every four years.

Looks like some Mongolian wrestling coaches are a bit upset about losing a medal pay off.

Have a feeling the podium G S B in the womens 800m race will result in a conversation after the games have finished.

Nice to see Peter Sagan go back to his roots of years ago and enter a mountain bike race. Did ok until his flat tire, after that I think he remembered why he decided to go into road racing.

Shame about Ahmed falling a bit short in the big race, but Mo ran a great race. Fun to watch.

Was great having so many feeds for the Olympics. At times was able to choose between 5 events. Best of all, at times we got multiple feeds on the same event. If the Canadian feed was too biased, I was able to switch to a British or Australian feed which was better depending on whether they had a horse in the race or not. Discovered it by accident during the rugby 7s final where I think we had 3 feeds. Switched to the Aussie feed and actually got commentary on the amazing display by the Fijians. Overall a successful games, mind you I did avoid the news in order not to get too distracted by any controversies.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Who was singing "Feeling Good" as the final programme closed out ?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:09 pm

seanworth wrote:Gave up on Olympic boxing close to 30yrs ago. Kind of surprised its still an event, as it seems to cause hurt feelings every four years.

Looks like some Mongolian wrestling coaches are a bit upset about losing a medal pay off.

Have a feeling the podium G S B in the womens 800m race will result in a conversation after the games have finished.

Nice to see Peter Sagan go back to his roots of years ago and enter a mountain bike race. Did ok until his flat tire, after that I think he remembered why he decided to go into road racing.

Shame about Ahmed falling a bit short in the big race, but Mo ran a great race. Fun to watch.

Was great having so many feeds for the Olympics. At times was able to choose between 5 events. Best of all, at times we got multiple feeds on the same event. If the Canadian feed was too biased, I was able to switch to a British or Australian feed which was better depending on whether they had a horse in the race or not. Discovered it by accident during the rugby 7s final where I think we had 3 feeds. Switched to the Aussie feed and actually got commentary on the amazing display by the Fijians. Overall a successful games, mind you I did avoid the news in order not to get too distracted by any controversies.
The Mongolian wrestling coaches certainly provided a lot of fan interest - I'm not sure stripping is the best way to show disapproval but cultures differ. I didn't realize Ahmed had been reinstated - weird decisions in that race. Boxing judging was poor throughout.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Who was singing "Feeling Good" as the final programme closed out ?
Its credited to the DJ/producer Aviici butthe guest singer is Audra Mae, great great niece of Judy Garland.
Was wondering the same thing so did a spot of googling!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Who was singing "Feeling Good" as the final programme closed out ?
Its credited to the DJ/producer Aviici butthe guest singer is Audra Mae, great great niece of Judy Garland.
Was wondering the same thing so did a spot of googling!
Thank you. You out-Googled me, as I found nowt.

Very interesting. I'll dig in.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:Gave up on Olympic boxing close to 30yrs ago. Kind of surprised its still an event, as it seems to cause hurt feelings every four years.

The Mongolian wrestling coaches certainly provided a lot of fan interest - I'm not sure stripping is the best way to show disapproval but cultures differ. I didn't realize Ahmed had been reinstated - weird decisions in that race. Boxing judging was poor throughout.
Are you suggesting I made a faux pas last month when I went down to the regional office to complain about my property taxes?

Many countries pay huge bonuses, by their standards, to players and sometimes coaches, for them to hit the medal table. No idea what this one was about but entertaining all the same. Koreans have had a few beauties over the years as well, mostly involving (ahem) boxing if I recall correctly.

Regarding Ahmed I didn't even know he was temporarily dq"d. Think I might have switched over to the final tragically hip concert around that time.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The whole coverage and camera work from the BBC ( including the scenic stuff) has been really top-notch throughout. Only real moan from me has been the boxing judging. In a lot of cases the judges seem to prefer show-boating Mohamed Ali wannabees, both male and female to boxers who play by the rules. America and Cuba are prime examples.
Having seen the closing tittles tonight, I'm not surprised, I thought nearly all the BBC staff were in Rio then up popped a wedge back in Salford!