Th'olympics 2016

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Th'olympics 2016

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:31 am

seanworth wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:Gave up on Olympic boxing close to 30yrs ago. Kind of surprised its still an event, as it seems to cause hurt feelings every four years.

Looks like some Mongolian wrestling coaches are a bit upset about losing a medal pay off.
The Mongolian wrestling coaches certainly provided a lot of fan interest - I'm not sure stripping is the best way to show disapproval but cultures differ. I didn't realize Ahmed had been reinstated - weird decisions in that race. Boxing judging was poor throughout.
Are you suggesting I made a faux pas last month when I went down to the regional office to complain about my property taxes?

Many countries pay huge bonuses, by their standards, to players and sometimes coaches, for them to hit the medal table. No idea what this one was about but entertaining all the same. Koreans have had a few beauties over the years as well, mostly involving (ahem) boxing if I recall correctly.

Regarding Ahmed I didn't even know he was temporarily dq"d. Think I might have switched over to the final tragically hip concert around that time.
Three runners DQed at first - Chelimo, Ahmed and Edris. Bronze originally to go to old Lagat but Chelimo and Ahmed DQs rescinded. I'm afraid I went to bed before the rescindment!

Quite okay to complain about taxes but perhaps you should have stripped down during the discussion - to show you were serious.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 pm

The whole Brazil games have been a pretty impressive affair from start to finish for me. Shame about the rain during the closing ceremony but a really enjoyable exprience. A lot oh highlights, but my main ones have been the cycling, Mo Farah and the women's hockey. Fantastic atamosphere during them all.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:41 pm

If I had to pick my three highlights they'd probably be, Farah, The Brownlees and Fiji winning the Rugby.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:50 pm

For me the three highlights would be:

The night Trott and Kenny completed their gold collection. Pure drama. Absolutely stunning.

Max Whitlock defying the odds.

The synchro springboard diving we beat the Chinese in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If I had to pick my three highlights they'd probably be, Farah, The Brownlees and Fiji winning the Rugby.
All good 'uns, although none of them much of a surprise. :-)

I'll go for GB ladies hockey team. Conlon's post fight interview and probably Max Whitlock.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If I had to pick my three highlights they'd probably be, Farah, The Brownlees and Fiji winning the Rugby.
Aye, the Brownlees were an unpardonable ommision by me; they were magnificent... :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:09 am

I fear that I'm going straight to Hell. Whenever I try to watch the Paralympics I find myself trying to evaluate the levels of the contestants disabilities, like X has got a bigger stump than Y - Ergo - optimum trajectory, and so on. Does anyone else find themselves doing similar? :oops:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I fear that I'm going straight to Hell. Whenever I try to watch the Paralympics I find myself trying to evaluate the levels of the contestants disabilities, like X has got a bigger stump than Y - Ergo - optimum trajectory, and so on. Does anyone else find themselves doing similar? :oops:
Yes.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Yep.. Like "she's got 2 legs the fvckin cheat"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:29 am

boltonboris wrote:Yep.. Like "she's got 2 legs the fvckin cheat"
Did you see this one this morning?

"I'd like to enter into the running please"

"But there's feck all wrong with you"

"Well there is that, I suppose. Maybe I could wear a blindfold then?"

"Excellent. Do that and do try not to end up in the sandpit, and try not to run into the path of javelins".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Yep.. Like "she's got 2 legs the fvckin cheat"
Did you see this one this morning?

"I'd like to enter into the running please"

"But there's feck all wrong with you"

"Well there is that, I suppose. Maybe I could wear a blindfold then?"

"Excellent. Do that and do try not to end up in the sandpit, and try not to run into the path of javelins".
:lol:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"