Th'olympics 2016

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Th'olympics 2016

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:24 am

Prufrock wrote:That article is bobbins! It seems to raise three arguments, one made twice, in order:

1) it still wouldn't let everyone compete in the Olympics - well duh, but so? Not everyone can compete now.

2) health - yeah, fair enough, might have led with that.

3) after a period of unpredictability results would settle down and it wouldn't be more exciting - well, that's only true if you don't think Usain Bolt doing 100m is 7 secs is exciting, but anyway the semi-sensible reason is not to make it more directly exciting but more credible. Tbf I think it would be more exciting if you had more confidence that no-one in the competition was a drugs cheat.

But yeah, health seems a pretty good un. You could only legalise some, but you'd have the same problems you do now.
I think three is a good point. It just shifts the goalposts to a 'new normal'. Watching Usain Bolt doing 100m in 7 seconds (not that I imagine any amount of drugs would produce that) would be no more exciting than watching him run it in 9.58 seconds clean, imo.

Now, you could argue in baseball it led to more home runs and therefore more exciting games but not sure that applies to anything in the olympics really.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:20 pm

A bit of ducking going on in the Triathlon swimmy bit there. Most uncalled for.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Prufrock wrote:That article is bobbins! It seems to raise three arguments, one made twice, in order:

1) it still wouldn't let everyone compete in the Olympics - well duh, but so? Not everyone can compete now.

2) health - yeah, fair enough, might have led with that.

3) after a period of unpredictability results would settle down and it wouldn't be more exciting - well, that's only true if you don't think Usain Bolt doing 100m is 7 secs is exciting, but anyway the semi-sensible reason is not to make it more directly exciting but more credible. Tbf I think it would be more exciting if you had more confidence that no-one in the competition was a drugs cheat.

But yeah, health seems a pretty good un. You could only legalise some, but you'd have the same problems you do now.
I think three is a good point. It just shifts the goalposts to a 'new normal'. Watching Usain Bolt doing 100m in 7 seconds (not that I imagine any amount of drugs would produce that) would be no more exciting than watching him run it in 9.58 seconds clean, imo.

Now, you could argue in baseball it led to more home runs and therefore more exciting games but not sure that applies to anything in the olympics really.

Sorry I was trying to make two different points at once. My main point is that the semi-serious reason for allowing doping would not be to make it more exciting, but more credible. The 100m is a bad example as Bolt is a phenomenon, but imagine he doesn't exist and Gatlin wins. The whole thing then has question marks over it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Last Olympics I swam, cycled and ran every yard with the Brownlee brothers, well, okay, watched it. Real tough guys these fellas...Come on....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Last Olympics I swam, cycled and ran every yard with the Brownlee brothers, well, okay, watched it. Real tough guys these fellas...Come on....
Bloody hell, you must be fit as a fiddle TD :shock:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:20 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Last Olympics I swam, cycled and ran every yard with the Brownlee brothers, well, okay, watched it. Real tough guys these fellas...Come on....
Bloody hell, you must be fit as a fiddle TD :shock:
Ahem...I lied, it was just mentally... :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Gold and silver, what a pair of heroes.... :pray: :pray:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Just had a tingly head moment as the Brownleey's came over one and two. Absolutely amazing athletes. Outstanding.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just had a tingly head moment as the Brownleey's came over one and two. Absolutely amazing athletes. Outstanding.

Yup. Bit of a stroll for them to be fair but that heat would have been brutal. Shame Gomez wasn't there to push them more.

Well done lads.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Been watching young Jade Jones in the taekwondo, and very well she's done too. However, I always had taekwondo down as being the one in which they nice person one and other with wooden sticks. Which one's that one then?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Been watching young Jade Jones in the taekwondo, and very well she's done too. However, I always had taekwondo down as being the one in which they tw*t one and other with wooden sticks. Which one's that one then?
Kendo I think.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Been watching young Jade Jones in the taekwondo, and very well she's done too. However, I always had taekwondo down as being the one in which they tw*t one and other with wooden sticks. Which one's that one then?
Kendo I think.
Ah, cheers mate. It is.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Ju jitsu as well.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Cross Lane Commando's used to favour large heavy sticks, too. Although I don't think it'll make the Olymipcs.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:57 pm

I watched her semi final bout last night. I think it's one of the dullest spectator sports I've ever seen. Well done to the lass though
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Seeing as this is now our most successful overseas games, can we take it as a ringing endorsement of non-competitive schools sports?

After all, these are the generation snowflakers who were so cossetted at school they weren't allowed to lose. Which, in an ironic way, they've continued all the way to the Olympics. Haven't they?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Seeing as this is now our most successful overseas games, can we take it as a ringing endorsement of non-competitive schools sports?

After all, these are the generation snowflakers who were so cossetted at school they weren't allowed to lose. Which, in an ironic way, they've continued all the way to the Olympics. Haven't they?
Yes but these snowflakes have the audacity to be paid for their sporting achievements.

In the good old days they'd have worked 19 hours a day down a pit for a pittance before winning their gold medal with a fag in their mouth. Then they'd have been able to use whatever racial slur they liked whenever they liked. Before going home and giving their wife and kids a good hiding.

These snowflakes will never experience what real men did when life was perfect.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I watched her semi final bout last night. I think it's one of the dullest spectator sports I've ever seen. Well done to the lass though
Yeah, I think it'll be another four years before I watch it again.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Seeing as this is now our most successful overseas games, can we take it as a ringing endorsement of non-competitive schools sports?

Was that ever actually a thing? My brother and I are at either end of our mid-20s, prime athletic years and neither had anything of the sort.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Was just waiting to see which Daily Mailer burst a blood vessel first! Rather disappointed so far tbh.

Next up "Britain's Olympic success all down to Brexit".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.