Ryder Cup 2016

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ryder Cup 2016

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:USA building momentum after what had been a strong start by Europe.
And, clearly, we're using jelly putters.
Story of the week. USA been much better on the greens than Europe.

USA going to walk this I think.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Think we need a miracle.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:USA building momentum after what had been a strong start by Europe.
And, clearly, we're using jelly putters.
Story of the week. USA been much better on the greens than Europe.

USA going to walk this I think.
Absolutely. I doubt that I'll be staying up this time.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:46 pm

I think we'll be beaten by eight points here.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Well, that's that. You win some, you lose some,we lost.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:20 pm

They played some great golf, we played some great golf but too many below par performances.

Congrats to the lego-heads.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:35 pm

Today the Americans were far better putters than we were. Poor old Westwood - three up with two to play and loses. Rose was similar. The Sergio-Phil match was a classic (19 birdies between them on 18 holes) and justly ended in a half. Oh well, we'll have another chance in two years....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Today the Americans were far better putters than we were. Poor old Westwood - three up with two to play and loses. Rose was similar. The Sergio-Phil match was a classic (19 birdies between them on 18 holes) and justly ended in a half. Oh well, we'll have another chance in two years....

I genuinely think Westwood is the only man in the world who actually could somehow manage that! :wink:

Seriously though, when you look up 'bottler' in the dictionary a picture of Westwood would be the best definition.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:They played some great golf, we played some great golf but too many below par performances.

BBC says we were dominated in the singles, but in some ways it was closer than it seemed. Westwood should have won 2 up with three to play. On any given Sunday - indeed on most given Sundays I would expect Rose to beat Fowler. Nor would it be unreasonable to think Rory could beat Reed. Turn those three around and we retain the Cup. The US dominated us on the greens - seemed to drop even long putts when we just missed. Was it luck? Or nerves? Justin should certainly have played better and kept his ball drier. Certainly well done to the US and to both team for an entertaining event.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:They played some great golf, we played some great golf but too many below par performances.

BBC says we were dominated in the singles, but in some ways it was closer than it seemed. Westwood should have won 2 up with three to play. On any given Sunday - indeed on most given Sundays I would expect Rose to beat Fowler. Nor would it be unreasonable to think Rory could beat Reed. Turn those three around and we retain the Cup. The US dominated us on the greens - seemed to drop even long putts when we just missed. Was it luck? Or nerves? Justin should certainly have played better and kept his ball drier. Certainly well done to the US and to both team for an entertaining event.
Well, lose any session 4-0 and you're up against it.

USA from there didn't have to do all that much. Just not lose too big in any session.

Europe made a decent comeback but the last fourballs, Westwood had two putts you simply have to make. That would have left us a point behind going into the singles. And the USA would have had the nerves after their 4-0 start with it being so close.

The USA got momentum at key times and Europe as a team never quite managed that.

It was a very American course, naturally, and a course that really boiled down to putting. Shanking drives often didn't stop a birdie chance. The Americans were better on the greens where it counted but I do think a lot of that was maintaining momentum or regaining it as a team at key points. Ultimately more of their players were in form than ours it seemed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Aye they had three "1-ups" in the final analysis - didn't feel that close - McIlroy, I think lost it, due to the consistency of Reed, was an excellent game. Mickleson/Olazabal 19 birdies between them and only a half each. Westwood as BWFCI says, bottled it. Rose didn't really have his putting game with him, but then you say had it been closer, would Kaymer still have won?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Aye they had three "1-ups" in the final analysis - didn't feel that close - McIlroy, I think lost it, due to the consistency of Reed, was an excellent game. Mickleson/Olazabal 19 birdies between them and only a half each. Westwood as BWFCI says, bottled it. Rose didn't really have his putting game with him, but then you say had it been closer, would Kaymer still have won?
Olazabal? Don't you mean Seve? :wink: