Make or makes?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Make or makes?

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 am

On a Morrisons product ( a pack of doughnuts) they have the words "Morrisons makes it". I'm thinking that should be "Morrisons make it" as it's referring to a product ...?????
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Make or makes?

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:24 am

TANGODANCER wrote:On a Morrisons product ( a pack of doughnuts) they have the words "Morrisons makes it". I'm thinking that should be "Morrisons make it" as it's referring to a product ...?????
It would depend on what Morrisons is a contraction of. If Morrisons is short for Morrison's grocery store 'makes it' is correct. n the other hand, if it is short for Morrisons' grocery store 'make it' is correct. The fundamental question is how many Morrisons were there? Or, conversely, not of course. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:15 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:On a Morrisons product ( a pack of doughnuts) they have the words "Morrisons makes it". I'm thinking that should be "Morrisons make it" as it's referring to a product ...?????
It would depend on what Morrisons is a contraction of. If Morrisons is short for Morrison's grocery store 'makes it' is correct. n the other hand, if it is short for Morrisons' grocery store 'make it' is correct. The fundamental question is how many Morrisons were there? Or, conversely, not of course. :wink:
Lost me there :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Morrisons is the fourth largest supermarket chain in the U.K. Monty. Where does that leave us on the question?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Morrisons is the fourth largest supermarket chain in the U.K. Monty. Where does that leave us on the question?
Nowhere really. Whitakers was short for Whitaker's department store - a singular entity so 'makes'. Moss Bros on the other hand were brithers so plural thus 'make'. But I don't know what Morrisons stands for, regardless of its/their size and where the apostrophe might be. :conf:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:25 pm

This comes up loads and it's like you all switch off once I start writing about metonymic shift.

Basically both are right. Pedants would insist it should be "makes" as it is the singular company that makes them. However, that leaves you with sentences like the jarring, American, "Arsenal keeps letting one-goal leads slip". We English are much more subtle in recognising that it's much more naturally efforts of many people (staff or players) which go into making cakes are letting slip leads and so "Morrisons make it" sounds more natural to me, too, TD.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Eh? I'm not having that. In both your sentences the subject of the verb is the grocery store (singular). Doesn't matter how many people own it.

I don't think there is an apostrophe in Morrisons. Thinks it's many people called Morrison making a company which takes a plural verb due to metoymic shift. :twisted:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Reason I asked the question primarily was because it just jarred as wrong to me. Morrisons, as Pru rightly thinks, has no apostrophe in the name (should it have one after it then? ) if referring to the group? Tesco and Asda have no "s" at the end and Sainsbury's has an apostrophe before the s. Which just confuses thing s a bit more. For the latter I say " make it" and the other two, either could apply. ? Oh. the apple doughnuts were fine by the way.. were for past tense as I've already eaten them and they no longer exist in their original form).. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Were the doughnuts any bloody good? Not arsed who made 'em! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Were the doughnuts any bloody good? Not arsed who made 'em! :-)
Morrison's supplied them (past tense) and they were decent, not exceptional, but decent. At fifty pence for five -a regular price- and with the choice of apple, strawberry or custard that makes good value in my book. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:17 pm

Morrison's should have an apostrophe. Wankers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:43 pm

I'd question whether they could be classed as doughnuts. Since their dumbing down exercise, Morrisons makes shit would probably be more appropriate.

Stick the apostrophe where you like. Preferably up your arse.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Now we're getting to the heart of the matter.