Six Nations 2017...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38572
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Six Nations 2017...

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:44 pm

Starts this weekend with England v France....right after the match finishes. Splendid weather for low-swinging chariots.. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:13 am

Not really into Rugby, but do like the 6 Nations.. Always a good atmosphere and really tense, high quality sport. Pisses on the RWC
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23964
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:09 pm

boltonboris wrote:Not really into Rugby, but do like the 6 Nations.. Always a good atmosphere and really tense, high quality sport. Pisses on the RWC
You ever done the trip to Twickenham mate? Seriously good day out.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20284
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:Not really into Rugby, but do like the 6 Nations.. Always a good atmosphere and really tense, high quality sport. Pisses on the RWC
Aye same. Bit annoying down here in that all the non-scruffy pubs stop showing football while it's on, mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38572
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Not really into Rugby, but do like the 6 Nations.. Always a good atmosphere and really tense, high quality sport. Pisses on the RWC
Aye same. Bit annoying down here in that all the non-scruffy pubs stop showing football while it's on, mind.
Kickoff is 4-50, just as the matches end...perfick.... :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Not really into Rugby, but do like the 6 Nations.. Always a good atmosphere and really tense, high quality sport. Pisses on the RWC
You ever done the trip to Twickenham mate? Seriously good day out.
Was invited down a couple of years ago, but was busy to had to say no - Haven't been asked since, but would love to for sure
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20284
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:39 pm

99% of me really wants to go; I'm not having this calling it "HQ" business though. That can f*ck off.

And TD - exactly, all over the 5.30 KO. Bunch of posh wankers come out filling the pubs you never see otherwise.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36221
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:99% of me really wants to go; I'm not having this calling it "HQ" business though. That can f*ck off.

And TD - exactly, all over the 5.30 KO. Bunch of posh wankers come out filling the pubs you never see otherwise.
Point of order. They turn out on quiz night, have a half apiece, scoff all the butties, win the quiz and feck off with the prize. c*nts.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23964
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:13 am

Prufrock wrote:99% of me really wants to go; I'm not having this calling it "HQ" business though. That can f*ck off.

And TD - exactly, all over the 5.30 KO. Bunch of posh wankers come out filling the pubs you never see otherwise.

I'm voting with the 1% of you that doesn't. We don't need to sell ticket to Facebook Tourists.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20284
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 am

Nah, I think I will come actually. I've just thought I could take my ipad along and do some nice selfies.


Ohh, do you know if they sell those half-hand-half scarf thingies?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23964
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 am

Prufrock wrote:Nah, I think I will come actually. I've just thought I could take my ipad along and do some nice selfies.


Ohh, do you know if they sell those half-hand-half scarf thingies?
I do believe someone took a selfie stick once. Reports suggest it didn't end well...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38572
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Watched the game and my view is admittedly greenhorn, but I thought whilst we battled well and defended brilliantly at times, it was always nervy. We never look as dangerous running at the French as they do running at us. Whilst stil being a bit baffled by some of the rules, the ref seemed to lean a bit towards the Eifel tower lot. I won't push that one as I'm probably wrong. Mind, we did hit the post (twice?) from penalty kicks and had a man off for a bit. That said, we won, but the French will probably run it close in the tournament overall. Have they got another Mikalac in that Serin lad? (hair tints in a rugby team? :shock: ) he look like a prospect.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:33 am

Prufrock wrote:99% of me really wants to go; I'm not having this calling it "HQ" business though. That can f*ck off.

And TD - exactly, all over the 5.30 KO. Bunch of posh wankers come out filling the pubs you never see otherwise.
Don't let that socialist chip weigh you down. Just for info purposes, and it may not happen so much in that London, but the "posh wankers" probably drink more cask ale than fizzy girl's pop so may not usually go to the same pubs as you.

Having played quite a lot of rugby in my younger days I can honestly say you won't find a friendlier bunch of chaps or chapesses than you will in rugby clubs or as supporters at internationals. And I include the French, Italians, New Zealanders, Aussies, Suth Efricaans amongst others in that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23964
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:49 am

We were quite lucky, really. Not a vintage display against a French team who looked a lot better disciplined and drilled than in recent years. Although they could still look like dogturd next week.

On the ref, thought he got the big calls correct although the yellow card for us was a tough one, wasn't clear cut to.me that it wasn't caused as much by the French guy trying to spin out of the tackle.

Strength off the bench probably shaded it for us.

So, good result, more improvement needed if we have aspirations of winning in Cardiff next week

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:We were quite lucky, really. Not a vintage display against a French team who looked a lot better disciplined and drilled than in recent years. Although they could still look like dogturd next week.

On the ref, thought he got the big calls correct although the yellow card for us was a tough one, wasn't clear cut to.me that it wasn't caused as much by the French guy trying to spin out of the tackle.

Strength off the bench probably shaded it for us.

So, good result, more improvement needed if we have aspirations of winning in Cardiff next week
Yes, Jones will demand significant improvement against Wales although the performance was probably a bit of a blip rather than an indication of worse to come. We do have the strongest squad by far but I still have doubts about Hartley's leadership on the field.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38572
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Watched Italy v Wales. Good hard game and thought the Italians a bit hard done to by the scoreline. 19 of the points came from try conversions and penalties, all by Halfpenny. At half time there was nothing really in it. Again. a bit unsure about some of the ref calls but that's just impression not fact. Italy have improved quite a bit and their defence tried really hard. In truth, the Welsh make me a bit sick....
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23964
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:53 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:We were quite lucky, really. Not a vintage display against a French team who looked a lot better disciplined and drilled than in recent years. Although they could still look like dogturd next week.

On the ref, thought he got the big calls correct although the yellow card for us was a tough one, wasn't clear cut to.me that it wasn't caused as much by the French guy trying to spin out of the tackle.

Strength off the bench probably shaded it for us.

So, good result, more improvement needed if we have aspirations of winning in Cardiff next week
Yes, Jones will demand significant improvement against Wales although the performance was probably a bit of a blip rather than an indication of worse to come. We do have the strongest squad by far but I still have doubts about Hartley's leadership on the field.
We do have quite a few key injuries to players who would have played a part, which might count more heavily against us against Wales in Cardiff - but yes, we've got the strongest squad.

Not sure the Itoje switch worked as well as it might - he was so dominant at lock in the rucks and mauls last 6 nations, I think we missed that - in fairness, the scrum looked pretty solid against a heavier French pack.

As to Hartley, I think he's doing ok. Just before the try, we got a pengy and quite a few folks were saying we should have taken a potshot. I was in the kick for position camp - which he did and it paid off (on another day it might not have, of course)...Given we've just beaten our longest winning streak (which clearly Eddie Jones has been the most significant factor in), it'd be a tough call to switch away from Hartley, although he seemed to have some doubts, himself in the buildup to the tournament.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Watched Italy v Wales. Good hard game and thought the Italians a bit hard done to by the scoreline. 19 of the points came from try conversions and penalties, all by Halfpenny. At half time there was nothing really in it. Again. a bit unsure about some of the ref calls but that's just impression not fact. Italy have improved quite a bit and their defence tried really hard. In truth, the Welsh make me a bit sick....
I read that this year, Italy are the lowest world ranked team ever to take part in the tournament, so either other smaller nations have improved, or Italy have gone backwards.

Just checked.. Georgia are above them and Romania will probably pass them by the summer
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38572
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
I read that this year, Italy are the lowest world ranked team ever to take part in the tournament, so either other smaller nations have improved, or Italy have gone backwards. Just checked.. Georgia are above them and Romania will probably pass them by the summer
That surprises me B.B. No expert but I've been watching Six Nations ( which is all I'm really talking about) a fair few years and seen Italy improve, but worldwise, quite possibly the ratings mean that a lot of others have improved in the game. Right now I'm more concerned on beating the next door neighbours this coming week. :grin:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Six Nations 2017...

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
I read that this year, Italy are the lowest world ranked team ever to take part in the tournament, so either other smaller nations have improved, or Italy have gone backwards. Just checked.. Georgia are above them and Romania will probably pass them by the summer
That surprises me B.B. No expert but I've been watching Six Nations ( which is all I'm really talking about) a fair few years and seen Italy improve, but worldwise, quite possibly the ratings mean that a lot of others have improved in the game. Right now I'm more concerned on beating the next door neighbours this coming week. :grin:
Course.. They were the whipping boys for years, but have definitely seem to have caught up a bit..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests